TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 25 2013, 09:23 PM   #76
TenLubak
Commander

Re: Why a reboot was necessary (IMHO)

darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
I think a reboot was necessary. Old Trek was good, but I think it drug out because there was not enough battles in it. I realize that is not what Trek is all about, but sometimes I think you just have to get in with the times. I personally don't think Roddenberry would argue with these newest films to the franchise. I always thought the alternate universes were cool... they could create so many different stories with this concept.
Not enough battles? Star Trek is about peace and humans being able to avoid resorting to violence when possible, I always loved how Star Trek I was film about a unknown attacking earth, and Kirk WILL NOT attack it. Instead they attempt to learn about it, to communicate. That will more times than not, if sucessful, preclude the need for battle. So to me, Star Trek's mission has always been one of peace.

That one reason why I love it so much more than say, a franchise called Star WARS. That title alone is a turn off.
TenLubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 11:33 AM   #77
Hugh Mann
Lieutenant

Belz... wrote: View Post

That's so silly I had to take a few seconds to reboot my mind before answering. Seriously ? Many movies you'll like LESS after watching more than once. Does that make it a great movie ? I'd rather a movie that grows on me, like many Trek movies, than movies that I appreciate less and less, like The Dark Knight.
You're going to have to explain how the idea that a movie should be able to impress on the first go-around in order to be considered a good movie is silly, because it doesn't make sense. I don't even see how this is something you can seriously argue. I can get behind the notion that a good movie (as opposed to J.J. Abrams' movies) can reveal additional layers of goodness with each watching, but the idea that your opinion of a movie can go from bad to good just by virtue of repetitive viewing seems utterly stupid.

throwback wrote:
For the franchise to succeed, it needs to make itself appealable to this demographic.
What a silly thing to say. That's like saying we need to get kids to eat healthy by taking healthy snacks and making them more "appealable" by deep-frying them and lathering them in chocolate.
Hugh Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 12:26 PM   #78
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post
You're going to have to explain how the idea that a movie should be able to impress on the first go-around in order to be considered a good movie is silly, because it doesn't make sense.
Because it can become a good movie on the second viewing. See how easy that was ?

but the idea that your opinion of a movie can go from bad to good just by virtue of repetitive viewing seems utterly stupid.
Well that's the problem of your limited experience, then, because it actually happens in real life.
Old June 27 2013, 02:44 PM   #79
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Hugh Mann wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post

That's so silly I had to take a few seconds to reboot my mind before answering. Seriously ? Many movies you'll like LESS after watching more than once. Does that make it a great movie ? I'd rather a movie that grows on me, like many Trek movies, than movies that I appreciate less and less, like The Dark Knight.
You're going to have to explain how the idea that a movie should be able to impress on the first go-around in order to be considered a good movie is silly, because it doesn't make sense. I don't even see how this is something you can seriously argue. I can get behind the notion that a good movie (as opposed to J.J. Abrams' movies) can reveal additional layers of goodness with each watching, but the idea that your opinion of a movie can go from bad to good just by virtue of repetitive viewing seems utterly stupid.
Oh look. This has already been addressed and debunked. You could at least try to come up with a new complaint.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 03:05 PM   #80
Charles Phipps
Commander

TenLubak wrote: View Post
Not enough battles? Star Trek is about peace and humans being able to avoid resorting to violence when possible, I always loved how Star Trek I was film about a unknown attacking earth, and Kirk WILL NOT attack it. Instead they attempt to learn about it, to communicate. That will more times than not, if sucessful, preclude the need for battle. So to me, Star Trek's mission has always been one of peace.

That one reason why I love it so much more than say, a franchise called Star WARS. That title alone is a turn off.
Star Trek is many things. It's why Wrath of Khan was better received than TMP.
Old June 27 2013, 03:30 PM   #81
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Eh, There are many reason movies can improve (Or become less enjoyable) with further viewings:

A screaming brat or otherwise obnoxious audience member distracting you on your first viewing

Watching it the first time with someone who doesn't like it and makes comments can color your first viewing, and seeing it again, without them can allow you to see it with unbiased eyes

You may have been distracted due to a heavy "real life" burden or tragedy on your first viewing

You may viewed it your first time on a "low vibe day"

you may have gotten up to use the restroom or grab popcorn at an important point in the movie on your first viewing

You may have had a life altering event since your first viewing of the movie (IE: Maybe you thought some guy who got dumped was an idiot and acting unrealistically and ruined the whole movie for you, and then 6 months later you get dumped and understand exactly what he was going through and realize it was very realistic and well done when you see it again. There could be a million different scenarios here for life altering events that change your world view and make you see things you hated in a new light)

The list of possibilities goes on and on.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote