Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old June 19 2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Galileo Class Starcruiser SORM

Anyone have opinions on this fan-produced manual?

I like the depth of the material, but think it is lacking in not having any more illustrations of the ship itself.

Also, in looking for other works by the same people (they also produced the Starfleet Academy Student Handbook), I fould indication of more books in their "Starfleet Guides" series (Galileo and Starfleet Academy having apparantly been the first two): The Starfleet Marine Corps Handbook, The Starfleet operations Guide, etc.

My question: As far as I can tell, therese other titles were solicited to retailers (I found this info on an old Barnes and Noble link) and had ISBN numbers assigned to them, but don't seem to have been actually published. Does anyone know any different?

Last edited by Mysterion; June 19 2008 at 11:04 PM.
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2008, 01:27 AM   #2
Kaziarl
Commodore

Re: Galileo Class Starcruiser SORM

Where did you find this?
Old June 21 2008, 02:46 AM   #3
Cicero
Admiral

I don't know where Mysterion found it, but I came across the book in a Borders about ten years ago.
Old June 21 2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Cicero wrote: View Post
I don't know where Mysterion found it, but I came across the book in a Borders about ten years ago.
As did I, oddly enough.
Old June 22 2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Bernard Guignard
Captain

I have a copy of the Book also and I'm of the same opinion that there could have been more schematics of the ship itself. I also have a copy of their Starfleet Academy Student Handbook. I thought I saw a section in the Manual saying watch out for Galileo class blueprints but I opened My issue up and can't find that reference. Like you Mysterion I've been wondering if they ever completed them or came up with new material.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

^^^^^
That they don't seem to have done anything else after those two volumes is quite the pity. IMO. I applaud the thought and imagination they put into both the Galileo book, as well as coming up with an entire four-year curiculum for the Starfleet Academy.

And a set of Galileo blueprints would have rocked.
Old March 24 2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Old news, but I always wanted to know what the purpose of making that book was for. Was it for some roleplaying group set on that ship class? There was a lot of detail into ships procedures, rooms, and the like that one would need for roleplaying, but not much on the exterior of the ship.

Also no history of what happened to the ships themselves after assignment to their respective sectors. Also a potentally contradictory history involving the canon Constellation-class starships.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Well, here's a thread I'd thought we'd seen the last of.

Apparantly the folks that produced the Galileo manual are associated with this group: http://www.ss3f.com/

Guessing that it came out of material they produced as background for their fanfic.
Old March 31 2014, 02:58 AM   #9
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

I see. I'd found my copy of that book a week ago and had to ask why I existed, as while it has some interesting details, is not exactly what I'm into. More into ship specifications, and the like, as well as class histories.

Even the Ships of the Starfleet volumes have an issue with me (aside from sometimes not identifying certain classed mentioned at the start) is that it makes mention of a few conflicts, including the Four Year's War, yet there are very few ships lost. Maybe the Cruisers and Frigates are luckier than the Destroyers and other class types, but there are very few ships lost...with most of the cruisers mentioned at being lost are ships lost in the Original Series (Constellation, Valiant, Defiant, and Intrepid).
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2014, 10:30 PM   #10
publiusr
Commodore

The nacelles of that ship were from Jackill right? The saucer looks like a modified reliant hull...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2014, 01:44 AM   #11
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I'm not sure if there was ever a clear picture of how many losses Starfleet suffered during the Four Years War. FASA, who originated it as part of their RPGverse, stated that the Constitutions (and presumably some of their subclasses) were purposely kept off the front lines because they were among the most advanced ships of that era, and Starfleet didn't want to risk the chance of capture. FASA does say that some of the FJ ships, like the Siva destroyer subclass, fared poorly in the war and quite a few were destroyed.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote