Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 30 2014, 02:30 AM   #1441
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

diankra wrote: View Post
It was a reason to doubt the Marco-Enemy-Web rumour, as there was no sensible country where you'd find all three. Take out Polo and that problem goes away.
There were seven countries which screened all three.

You can rule out Australia and New Zealand (and Hong Kong and Singapore for Enemy and Web) from that list, due to most records indicating their copies were either destroyed or cycled on, and they were ultimately found in Nigeria.

That leaves Zambia and Gibraltar.
Old May 30 2014, 02:43 AM   #1442
diankra
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post
It was a reason to doubt the Marco-Enemy-Web rumour, as there was no sensible country where you'd find all three. Take out Polo and that problem goes away.

You can rule out Australia and New Zealand (and Hong Kong and Singapore for Enemy and Web) from that list, due to most records indicating their copies were either destroyed or cycled on, and they were ultimately found in Nigeria.

But not all three at roughly the same time, and the cycle/return/etc records got in the way, particularly once you added in the claim that Polo was a stored field (so post 66 sale) copy.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 02:52 AM   #1443
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Oh how I wish these rumors are true . . . but I can't help but think they aren't. Right now it's starting to sound like rationalizations for how these episodes have been "found" but not yet released.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 09:16 AM   #1444
Candlelight
Admiral

But not all three at roughly the same time, and the cycle/return/etc records got in the way, particularly once you added in the claim that Polo was a stored field (so post 66 sale) copy.
Whose saying the "returned" version is stored field? I would expect any find to be Suppressed if anything, considering it's likely only two copies of Marco were made Stored (for Thailand and Mauritius-Sierra Leone-Ethiopia).
Old May 30 2014, 03:11 PM   #1445
diankra
Commodore

Whose saying the "returned" version is stored field? I would expect any find to be Suppressed if anything, considering it's likely only two copies of Marco were made Stored (for Thailand and Mauritius-Sierra Leone-Ethiopia).
That it was a stored field copy was part of the rumour, at least in some versions, and hence part of the reason for doubting the Marco-Enemy-Web combination, which is the point Sindatur raised in the first place.
Old May 30 2014, 10:49 PM   #1446
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

A long-standing but rarely mentioned (possibly because it sounds so barmy) part of the omnirumor is that Philip Morris found some kind of TIE archive that included copies of stories never sold, or never recorded as sold, to Africa. Alternately-- of course there's an alternate explanation; it's the omnirumor-- people have claimed Morris was recently in Singapore, which is the most likely place for a complete set of Power to turn up. I still don't buy either claim, as to me both smack of attempts to fit pre-existing, came-to-nothing rumors about Power into Morris's work. But (standard disclaimer follows) you never know.
Old May 30 2014, 11:00 PM   #1447
diankra
Commodore

Certainly, DWM confirmed that Morris chasing audition prints sent to countries that didn't buy i the end, so to that degree all bets are off. Anything could be anywhere...
Old May 30 2014, 11:06 PM   #1448
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Ah, here we go, again. What round are we on now? I've lost track.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 11:08 PM   #1449
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

It's all been one endless round. The omnirumor doesn't sleep. It doesn't even nap.
Old June 3 2014, 12:07 AM   #1450
diankra
Commodore

Slightly off-topic, but it's reported today that an audio copy of one of Sean Connery's first (possibly the first) screen roles has turned up: an ITV production of Requiem for a Heavyweight.
Vague Who connection is that it had been made and kept by the director, Alvin Rakoff, who was married to Jacqueline Hill, aka Barbara. I suppose that it's possible he also has audio recordings of his wife's TV roles: obviously all her transmitted Doctor Who work survives on audio, but her fans might be pleased if her other roles survive in some form.
Old June 3 2014, 01:17 AM   #1451
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Slightly off-topic, but it's reported today that an audio copy of one of Sean Connery's first (possibly the first) screen roles has turned up: an ITV production of Requiem for a Heavyweight.
Vague Who connection is that it had been made and kept by the director, Alvin Rakoff, who was married to Jacqueline Hill, aka Barbara. I suppose that it's possible he also has audio recordings of his wife's TV roles
The recording in question is one of her TV roles, actually; she plays Grace Carney, the only meaningful female character in the production.
Old June 3 2014, 01:39 AM   #1452
diankra
Commodore

Ah! Not surprised, but hadn't looked up the cast, and she wasn't on the clip PM ran on their onterview with Rakoff...
Old June 3 2014, 02:32 AM   #1453
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the coverage is so Connery-focused they're making more of her recommending him for his role than of her actually being in it. (As was Michael Caine, trivia fans.) Anyway, it's a great find, and not just because some of its stars became famous for other things. The US version of "Requiem for a Heavyweight" is a real milestone of early American television; I'm sure historians will love what even an audio recording can tell them about the British take on Rod Serling's famous script.
Old June 3 2014, 02:38 AM   #1454
diankra
Commodore

Doubt there were many major changes, doesn't seem that it was reversioned to set it in England. So it'll be comparing the actors really...
Old June 3 2014, 03:54 AM   #1455
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I literally just found out that Sean Connery starred in an English version of Requiem for a Heavyweight. I remember reading that Michael Caine had a small role in it as a boxer too.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/story/Vi...w-IULM84w.cspx

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27665619
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote