RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,164
Posts: 5,402,968
Members: 24,753
Currently online: 411
Newest member: kev404

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 20 2014, 01:40 AM   #1321
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

^So -- if any of this is true (not the political background, but the claim that there are recovered episodes and that the BBC would have to pay to get them back) -- we might have to wait a couple of years until the political heat dies down before the BBC could move forward on this?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 02:15 AM   #1322
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Sounds like what we need is a middleman (or woman) with deep pockets. An extremely rich DW fan willing to help Auntie Beeb save face by putting up the cash to reward Morris and facilitate the transfer/restoration without the BBC having to do it themselves.

Wot's that? Her Majesty is a HUGE (and extremely rich) DW fan (esp. Eccleston), you say...?
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 03:31 AM   #1323
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Sounds like what we need is a middleman (or woman) with deep pockets. An extremely rich DW fan willing to help Auntie Beeb save face by putting up the cash to reward Morris and facilitate the transfer/restoration without the BBC having to do it themselves.

Wot's that? Her Majesty is a HUGE (and extremely rich) DW fan (esp. Eccleston), you say...?
Ian Levine probably could afford to pay Morris then turn over the goods to BBC. Hell, he could twist the story around to make him the heroic knight who saved Power of the Daleks or whatever. Kind of surprised he isn't trying this, would sure be more constructive than the mudslinging he's been doing.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 03:18 PM   #1324
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Christopher, I guess that once the charter renewal is out of the way the climate would be less sensitive, but assuming the renewal is on roughly the same terms as before (not some wholesale restructuring), then the same hurdles and same hostiles will still be there.

However, the new DG is on the record as wanting to make BBC Worldwide more arms-length, for instance letting them make programmes solely for export sales and profit rather than only handling programmes which had been made for transmission on the BBC (actually, they have been distributing some programmes made by other stations before now, like Being Erica, but not actually making stuff themselves - I think the first one is going to be a new SF-ish series starring John Simm and created by some ex-X-Filers), so if that continues it might make it easier for them to put money up front for recoveries if they can get a profit in return from the DVD sales. Perhaps.

Wormhole, Levene's still comfortable off, but not nearly as much as he was; I doubt he could find that much cash (certainly not if we're talking 90-odd episodes), if there's any truth to the scuttlebutt about what's being asked per episode has any truth (which is so ill-founded that I'd sooner not repeat it here without more back-up).


What does strike me now about Allyn's link is that IF that's accurate, it sounds as if Morris might be ensuring that anything he's found is safely transferred from the films to digital media, regardless of whether they can be returned (and fully restored for release) now. Which would be nice, even if we have to wait to see it.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 04:20 PM   #1325
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

diankra wrote: View Post
However, the new DG is on the record as wanting to make BBC Worldwide more arms-length, for instance letting them make programmes solely for export sales and profit rather than only handling programmes which had been made for transmission on the BBC (actually, they have been distributing some programmes made by other stations before now, like Being Erica, but not actually making stuff themselves - I think the first one is going to be a new SF-ish series starring John Simm and created by some ex-X-Filers)
I'm confused by that statement, since BBC America has already produced a couple of original series, Copper and Orphan Black, which aired there and in Canada before eventually airing on the BBC. And BBC America is owned by BBC Worldwide, isn't it?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 05:07 PM   #1326
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

I guess that BBC America making them would be the difference, will have to check the details -it was in interviews Tony Hall gave after taking over last year... also, Orphan Black, at least, was run on BBC3... could be that had to be in place before it went ahead, wheras the new approach would have let Worldwide make it without a UK BBC customer.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 05:13 PM   #1327
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

As diankra says, I imagine there are different rules for different branches of the conglomerate. BBC America, which is indeed a Worldwide subsidiary, can and does purchase and broadcast original programming. But perhaps the segment of BBC Worldwide that produces and distributes programs rather than broadcasting them is only allowed to put money into material that will air on BBC networks in the UK. Compare the distinction between American television networks and their associated but technically separate studios, which sometimes arrange cross-conglomerate properties like the first seven seasons of Scrubs.

While I think it's entirely possible, perhaps even likely, that Phil Morris holds or knows of the existence of more Doctor Who episodes and has yet to return them to the BBC for whatever reason, most of the claims made by "sources" these days reek of attempts to justify bad information they got in the past.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 06:06 PM   #1328
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

diankra wrote: View Post
.. also, Orphan Black, at least, was run on BBC3...
Yes, I know, but that was the better part of a year after it aired in America and Canada. It used to be that all of BBC America's shows were reruns of shows that had originated on the BBC, but it was the other way around with OB (and Copper, I assume).
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 06:28 PM   #1329
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Yes, understand. Will have to check the details but as I understand it, any original BBC programming has to be made available on free-to-air channels in the UK at some point under the current rules, and Hall wants to give Worldwide the freedom to make stuff even if it never gets a UK BBC screening,so long as itmakes a profit that can be invested in stuff that is run on UK/BBC. A subtle legalistic change, but a significant one.
Obviously there must be some wriggle room already, as Worldwide has always made intros and intro programmes that weren't run in the UK. And of course BBC America is by definition not available on Freeview in the UK despite being a BBC brand channel.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 12:29 AM   #1330
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Between Allyn's link and diankra's comments, interesting food for thought. However, the big question is:
  • Is that line of thought and the missing episodes real? or
  • Is it simply wishful thinking, an attempt to explain away the lack of an announcement?
Unfortunately, I don't think we're any closer to an answer. But, it's interesting to hear what the other potential issues are.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 12:41 AM   #1331
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Between Allyn's link and diankra's comments, interesting food for thought. However, the big question is:
  • Is that line of thought and the missing episodes real? or
  • Is it simply wishful thinking, an attempt to explain away the lack of an announcement?
Unfortunately, I don't think we're any closer to an answer. But, it's interesting to hear what the other potential issues are.
Right now, to be honest, I'm leaning toward the latter -- wishful thinking to explain the lack of an announcement.

I posted the link, not because I believe Eddie's grand unified theory, but because I thought it was interesting fodder for thought and discussion.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 12:44 AM   #1332
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

I really don't believe there are any missing episodes, and don't care either. This thread is just so much fun is the only reason I bother with it as much as I do.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 01:59 PM   #1333
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Between Allyn's link and diankra's comments, interesting food for thought. However, the big question is:
  • Is that line of thought and the missing episodes real? or
  • Is it simply wishful thinking, an attempt to explain away the lack of an announcement?
Unfortunately, I don't think we're any closer to an answer. But, it's interesting to hear what the other potential issues are.
Right now, to be honest, I'm leaning toward the latter -- wishful thinking to explain the lack of an announcement.

I posted the link, not because I believe Eddie's grand unified theory, but because I thought it was interesting fodder for thought and discussion.
That's my leaning as well. There's hasn't been an announcement, so let's find a set of circumstances that both fits known facts and yet allows for a huge haul of missing episodes.

I hope there are lots of missing episodes, but not getting my hopes up, at least trying not to!

And, thanks for posting it. It was good food for thought and discussion!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 02:01 PM   #1334
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I really don't believe there are any missing episodes, and don't care either. This thread is just so much fun is the only reason I bother with it as much as I do.
For myself, I do care. I've been a classic Who fan for about 25 years and have wanted to see these episodes for a long time. So, I really hope they have been found.

I absolutely loved seeing Web of Fear and Enemy of the World. Hopefully, there are more, but at the very least, those 2 were fantastic.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2014, 02:06 PM   #1335
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I really don't believe there are any missing episodes
Oh, there certainly are episodes missing...

__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.