RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,936
Posts: 5,478,970
Members: 25,057
Currently online: 486
Newest member: JeremiahJT

TrekToday headlines

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 27 2013, 08:14 AM   #1141
Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Christopher wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I want to see Peter Cushing's "The Caves of Steel." Terry Nation wrote the adaptation, and there are a few clips that exist. I'd like to see the whole thing, I'd like to see how Cushing played Lije Baley.
Oh, gods, yes. That would be amazing. It's the only screen adaptation that novel's ever had.

Apparently, the production led to the creation of an anthology series called Out of the Unknown which did six more Asimov adaptations, including the sequel The Naked Sun (with a different cast), the robot stories "Satisfaction Guaranteed," "Reason," and "Liar!", and the standalones "The Dead Past" and "Sucker Bait." The two standalones still exist, but the others have been lost. They adapted stories by a number of other SF authors too, including Ray Bradbury, Kate Wilhelm, Clifford Simak, and Fredrik Pohl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...known_episodes
Just thinking about these makse me weak in the knees. I had no idea...
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt

Last edited by Klaus; December 27 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 01:33 PM   #1142
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Classic Who is still available to PBS stations, which can buy it or not on a station-by-station basis. (It was withdrawn briefly while BBC Worldwide was selling the new series, but that was years ago now.) That few stations air it anymore is entirely their decision, possibly because the fan enthusiasm that was once devoted to keeping it on the air is now aimed at collecting the DVDs and watching the new series. So if anything it's DVD sales hurting TV broadcasts rather than the other way around.
Yea, they're available to buy, but, IIRC, it's pretty expensive, compared to the viewership/Support the PBS stations would get for buying/showing reruns of the new Series
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 03:57 PM   #1143
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Besides, the one time I've used iTunes, it didn't work very well on my computer. It took a long time to download and the playback was sluggish.
That's strange, from what I understand, the files are actually on your computer and should play just fine. No slow streaming or anything like that.

I first used iTunes for these 2 episodes and it worked fine. Do you have an older computer?
It's only 2 1/2 years old, but it's not very powerful. Still, it doesn't have much of a problem with streaming video most of the time.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 05:39 PM   #1144
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Klaus wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I want to see Peter Cushing's "The Caves of Steel." Terry Nation wrote the adaptation, and there are a few clips that exist. I'd like to see the whole thing, I'd like to see how Cushing played Lije Baley.
Oh, gods, yes. That would be amazing. It's the only screen adaptation that novel's ever had.

Apparently, the production led to the creation of an anthology series called Out of the Unknown which did six more Asimov adaptations, including the sequel The Naked Sun (with a different cast), the robot stories "Satisfaction Guaranteed," "Reason," and "Liar!", and the standalones "The Dead Past" and "Sucker Bait." The two standalones still exist, but the others have been lost. They adapted stories by a number of other SF authors too, including Ray Bradbury, Kate Wilhelm, Clifford Simak, and Fredrik Pohl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...known_episodes
Just thinking about these make me weak in the knees. I had no idea...
Out of the Unknown is inevitably pretty variable: of the ones I've seen, No Place Like Earth is pretty dreadful (the producer wanted to bury it later in the series, but the BBC bosses insisted on opening with the John Wyndham story, as he was the writer even the non-SF fans among them had heard of), Counterfeit Man and Stranger in the Family both excellent, Time in Advance is variable (some dodgy model work and very SF acting in places), The Machines Stops very impressive (despite some very 'silver shiny costumes' design). Unfortunately the others I've seen all come from season 4, when a new producer restyled it as a paranormal anthology, and while the missing Nigel Kneale script looks to have been excellent, some of the others are... well, the Deathday adaptation took so many plot liberties that the original short story writer brought a legal suit, while To Lay a Ghost is about a woman who was raped in childhood who's haunted by the ghost of a medieval rapist, and the pun in the title gives away the distasteful twist in the tail.
I wish more of seasons two and three survived, they look as if they were excellent: the initial teething problems worked out, but with the proper SF spirit of the first season.

Unfortunately attempts to release the surviving episodes have hit the inevitable rock of rights issues (oh, and BTW, those 'reviews are frequently based on seeing them at screenings in the mid-1980s, so reliability of my memories may vary!).
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 08:01 PM   #1145
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I believe that Cushing's "1984" does exist (I think it was found, in all places, at the Library of Congress), but Orwell's estate isn't interested in allowing its release.
Is the version of 1984 being talked about different than this one?
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 08:42 PM   #1146
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Harvey wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I believe that Cushing's "1984" does exist (I think it was found, in all places, at the Library of Congress), but Orwell's estate isn't interested in allowing its release.
Is the version of 1984 being talked about different than this one?
That's the one being talked about, the others being the 1956 film with the 'happy' ending, and the 1984 film with John Hurt and the Eurythmics soundtrack.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 11:38 PM   #1147
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Classic Who is still available to PBS stations, which can buy it or not on a station-by-station basis. (It was withdrawn briefly while BBC Worldwide was selling the new series, but that was years ago now.) That few stations air it anymore is entirely their decision, possibly because the fan enthusiasm that was once devoted to keeping it on the air is now aimed at collecting the DVDs and watching the new series. So if anything it's DVD sales hurting TV broadcasts rather than the other way around.
Yea, they're available to buy, but, IIRC, it's pretty expensive, compared to the viewership/Support the PBS stations would get for buying/showing reruns of the new Series
"Compared to the new series" isn't really the issue, since there aren't many stations running that either. Doctor Who on PBS has been in decline since the early 90s, when VCRs and commercial VHS releases of the series meant people who wanted to see it didn't need PBS to run it indefinitely. And it probably didn't help that the series was out of production.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 03:54 AM   #1148
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

I don't know if it ever got to '80s Distribution Levels, or if it's still occurring, but, from what I understand, for the Eccelston and Tennant Years, there were quite a few PBS Stations doing well with those Series.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 09:47 AM   #1149
Candlelight
Admiral
 
Candlelight's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATyRfH_xzEo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9PWxcgH3Y

These came online on the 26th. A nice Xmas present for those that care about this stuff.
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 11:44 AM   #1150
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Carols by Candlelight wrote: View Post
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATyRfH_xzEo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9PWxcgH3Y

These came online on the 26th. A nice Xmas present for those that care about this stuff.
The first one's been forced down by BBC Worldwide already.
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: ()

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 01:11 PM   #1151
inflatabledalek
Captain
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

One of the shames about Out of the Unknown is that even if lost episodes do wind up being recovered they're unlikely to see the light of day via any official release as the BBC have, according to Andrew Pixley in a few posts over the years at GB, no interest in releasing even what they already have of the series.

Apparently, negotiating new deals with all the authors/author's estates involved with the series to allow for some form of home media release would be (in Worldwide's eyes) too expensive to be viable. Being no legal expert I'm not sure why deals with the authors of the original stories being adapted would be so much more expensive than any other writer of a TV show of a similar vintage, but it basically means that (bar an extreme change of circumstances) it's never going to happen.

Which is a shame as an anthology is the sort of show that won't get hurt too badly by not having all the episodes to put out.
__________________
TRANSFORMATION: STRANGER DANGER KUP!
It's a special message from Spider-Man and a mad Kup in my look at: Kup's Story!
inflatabledalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 02:56 PM   #1152
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I don't know if it ever got to '80s Distribution Levels, or if it's still occurring, but, from what I understand, for the Eccelston and Tennant Years, there were quite a few PBS Stations doing well with those Series.
I know that WETA in Washington was showing the Tennant series as recently as a year ago on their WETA UK HD station. (Which, to be frank, shows more British programming than BBC America.)
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 03:15 PM   #1153
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Apparently, negotiating new deals with all the authors/author's estates involved with the series to allow for some form of home media release would be (in Worldwide's eyes) too expensive to be viable. Being no legal expert I'm not sure why deals with the authors of the original stories being adapted would be so much more expensive than any other writer of a TV show of a similar vintage, but it basically means that (bar an extreme change of circumstances) it's never going to happen.
Probably because they have to make deals with both the original author and the screenwriter who adapted it.


Which is a shame as an anthology is the sort of show that won't get hurt too badly by not having all the episodes to put out.
Well, that depends. Anthologies, by their nature, are of inconsistent quality. If the surviving ones happen to be mostly the good ones, then it isn't hurt too badly, but if the surviving ones are mostly the mediocre to bad ones, then it doesn't come off too well.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 07:40 PM   #1154
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Christopher wrote: View Post
Probably because they have to make deals with both the original author and the screenwriter who adapted it.
And with any film producers who might have taken an option on the original writer's work since the BBC's rights to adapt them expired 40-odd years ago.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 10:46 PM   #1155
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I don't know if it ever got to '80s Distribution Levels, or if it's still occurring, but, from what I understand, for the Eccelston and Tennant Years, there were quite a few PBS Stations doing well with those Series.
I know that WETA in Washington was showing the Tennant series as recently as a year ago on their WETA UK HD station. (Which, to be frank, shows more British programming than BBC America.)
There are a few others still showing various new series episodes: see the USA section of This Week in Doctor Who's channel list for some of them. And as Sindatur says, there were quite a few more once upon a time (though still, I imagine, fewer than ran the classic series when it was current). But my point was that the classic series didn't disappear from PBS because the new series came in, though I imagine the temporary sale ban had a last straw effect in a lot of places.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.