Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 19 2013, 12:10 AM   #1036
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Or just generally mishandle the whole thing in that endearing BBC way...
Old November 19 2013, 10:40 AM   #1037
N-121973
Commander

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Bumping this up since we're supposedly a week out now from the announcement of Marco Polo. Here's where things currently stand on the omnirumor front:

- Restoration of Marco Polo running behind, may not be released until December/January.
- The next two episodes to be announced/released after The Massacre/The Macra Terror will be The Celestial Toymaker and The Faceless Ones.
- The Power of the Daleks will be released near the end of next year.
- Private collectors are starting to cash in on the Morris find. The Daleks' Master Plan parts 4 (Katarina dies), 7 (Yes, the infamous Feast of Steven), 11 & 12 (Sara Kingdom dies) have been turned in. 11 & 12 may not be salvageable, the film prints have stuck together and need to be frozen to be separated.
- The Space Pirates part 3 has also been turned in from a private collector.
- At least 3 parts of The Wheel in Space has been found in Nigeria by Morris, and he is negotiating to get them to the UK.
- The Web of Fear part 3 does exist, and will be restored and ready in time for the DVD release.
- The Tenth Planet part 4 also exists, and will be released when ready.

Assuming that all of the above is true, that leaves Mission to the Unknown, Parts 1,3,6,8-9 of The Daleks' Master Plan, one part of The Wheel in Space, Parts 1 & 4 of The Invasion (animated), Parts 2-3 of The Ice Warriors (animated) and Parts 1, 4-6 of The Space Pirates still missing.
I think what makes makes me skeptical about finds apart from Marco Polo (and I'm not completely sold on that) is the bit about the Tenth Planet. Its my birthday in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking of asking for the DVD as a present, however if the above rumour's true and they have found and are restoring episode 4, I'd rather wait for the special edition re-release containing all four live action episodes. By allowing these rumours to fester the BBC are potentially losing out, at least in the short term on money. And why release it now if they have or are about to have all four episodes in their possession? I'm sure they could have come up with an excuse if they wanted didn't wanted to give the game away too early.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 05:36 PM   #1038
davejames
Vice Admiral

It does seem unlikely that after only getting dribs and drabs for years, that suddenly there's a massive avalanche of episodes coming our way in the next few years.

Although I would certainly love to be proven wrong.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 06:54 PM   #1039
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
It does seem unlikely that after only getting dribs and drabs for years, that suddenly there's a massive avalanche of episodes coming our way in the next few years.

Although I would certainly love to be proven wrong.
My understanding is that Phillip Morris has been actively hunting down lost episodes of Who and other BBC shows in places around the world where nobody ever checked before -- or rather, where nobody replied to earlier requests about lost episodes. So if that more extensive effort to track down lost episodes has only been going on since relatively recently, then it could indeed be that they've been out there all along and only just been found. So it's at least possible.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 07:58 PM   #1040
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah that would make sense. I just figured people have been on the hunt for these episodes for such a long time, that most of these places would have already been checked by now (even including the more dangerous ones).
Old November 19 2013, 08:16 PM   #1041
Christopher
Writer

^But how far did that hunt extend? My impression was that the BBC sent out requests asking people in other countries to search for lost episodes, and some countries didn't send any reply, and it wasn't followed up on until Morris made the effort. And I doubt many people would've been willing to brave war zones and such just to look for lost TV shows.

Old November 19 2013, 08:24 PM   #1042
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^ And I doubt many people would've been willing to brave war zones and such just to look for lost TV shows.
Well, they're obviously not "True Fans"tm

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 08:34 PM   #1043
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

My impression was that the BBC sent out requests asking people in other countries to search for lost episodes, and some countries didn't send any reply, and it wasn't followed up on until Morris made the effort.
Basically, but it wasn't so much "didn't send any reply" as "replied saying they had nothing" or "returned only some of what they had." Nigeria, for example, sent back "The Time Meddler" and "The War Machines" in response to the original request in the mid-80s, but apparently didn't know that "The Enemy of the World" and most of "The Web of Fear" also survived at one of their relay stations. (Those sets of stories had originally been broadcast by separate networks that were later combined when Nigerian TV was nationalized.)
Old November 19 2013, 10:13 PM   #1044
Candlelight
Admiral

Having worked in TV for around 10 years now I can honestly say I've done the old 'hey, I was looking for that tape a couple of years ago' line a few times...
Old November 22 2013, 04:31 PM   #1045
N-121973
Commander

Hi folks
Noting that there had been no further updates on this thread for a few days and no announcement from the BBC re Marco Polo I did a Google search and look what turned up dated 30 minutes ago on the Daily Mirror website:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...-seven-2839102

I always assumed that the alleged Marco Polo find came from the same (type of) source as Enemy of the World and Web of Fear.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 04:52 PM   #1046
Christopher
Writer

Wow. If this is true, that's the whole serial. Well, except for the missing audio. I hope they get John Guilor as Hartnell's voice double like they did for the "Planet of Giants" reconstruction. As I've remarked before, I find his Hartnell impression uncanny.

I assume that even with digital restoration, the image quality from a homemade telecine won't be that great. Still, to have "Marco Polo" at last would be amazing. I wonder if this fan has any other surviving films -- if the story's even true.

Old November 22 2013, 05:51 PM   #1047
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, assuming it's true, it seems likely than any fan who was obsessed enough to record the show with a film camera (and do it in apparently a very professional way) wouldn't have stopped with just one serial.

Unless his other tapes just haven't survived as well over time or something.
Old November 22 2013, 09:03 PM   #1048
zarkon
Captain

Would love it to be true, but the circumstances kinda sounds unlikely. Polo does seem to keep cropping up as having been recovered though...

Last edited by zarkon; November 22 2013 at 09:15 PM.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 10:24 PM   #1049
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Wow. If this is true, that's the whole serial. Well, except for the missing audio.
Except there is no missing audio. I'm pretty confident the facts are nonsense, but hope there is some basis to it
Old November 23 2013, 12:03 AM   #1050
zarkon
Captain

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
Except there is no missing audio. I'm pretty confident the facts are nonsense, but hope there is some basis to it
The soundtrack doesn't have any breaks in the audio? Never listened to any of the cd's myself.