April-May 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 17 2013, 05:30 PM   #1021
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I'm still trying to be skeptical, but some of those details are so specific (like the film prints stuck together) that it's hard to believe they could've just been made up. Still, if all these have been found, why not tell us?
Managing expectations is my guess.

They could announce it all at once, but then fans would want their favorites released now. Everyone wants "Power of the Daleks," but who's going to buy "The Smugglers"? A release of dribs and drabs will minimize the cherry-picking.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:42 PM   #1022
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Managing expectations is one thing, but evidently Paul McGann is right: You can't keep a secret in this business. Certainly not when fan excitement is involved.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 02:48 AM   #1023
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Well, they managed to hide McGann's recent webisode pretty well.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
^I'm still trying to be skeptical, but some of those details are so specific (like the film prints stuck together) that it's hard to believe they could've just been made up. Still, if all these have been found, why not tell us?
Managing expectations is my guess.

They could announce it all at once, but then fans would want their favorites released now. Everyone wants "Power of the Daleks," but who's going to buy "The Smugglers"? A release of dribs and drabs will minimize the cherry-picking.
Also, sporadic announcements is probably better for sales. The iTunes sales for the last two serials topped the UK charts, and even reached #3 on the US charts where sales of Classic Doctor Who DVDs have been miniscule compared to the UK
Old November 18 2013, 03:32 AM   #1024
Christopher
Writer

Turbo wrote: View Post
Not really, since it was about to be leaked, which was why they moved up its official release.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 03:45 AM   #1025
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Not really, since it was about to be leaked, which was why they moved up its official release.
They still kept it secret from its filming to a couple days before the official release (I think) which is a pretty darn good accomplishment in this day and age. Eccleston's departure was leaked well before it aired, for instance.
Old November 18 2013, 04:28 AM   #1026
Candlelight
Admiral

Still, if all these have been found, why not tell us?
Why should they?
Old November 18 2013, 03:03 PM   #1027
The Wormhole
Admiral

With McGann's webisode they took advantage of circumstances. Back in the summer there were rumours of Paul McGann returning for a webisode to depict his regeneration (which someone even points out on page 3 of this very thread), but it was ignored by everyone since Paul McGann's return has been something someone in Who Fandom has been claiming to have an inside source informing them is going to happen since 2007. So really, you could have said "Paul McGann is going to return" and the reaction you'd get out of 90% of fans is a sarcastic "of course he is."
Old November 18 2013, 06:11 PM   #1028
Saul
Rear Admiral

They still kept it secret from its filming to a couple days before the official release (I think) which is a pretty darn good accomplishment in this day and age. Eccleston's departure was leaked well before it aired, for instance.
I had read on Bleeding Cool News about McGann filming a regeneration scene although as it closer to the time i didn't believe it and was rightly surprised by the minisode.

As for why they don't announce these missing episodes in full, if they do it in dribs and drabs we'll probably buy in dribs and drabs rather than going directly for the goods we want.

Then again I don't know what to believe these days. That's a good thing.
Old November 18 2013, 06:54 PM   #1029
Tom
Rear Admiral

Rule #1 - THE BBC LIES - You will never get anything out of them until the last possible minute. Seems like you would want to build hype on something cool that is coming out instead of just waiting till the last moment.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 07:27 PM   #1030
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm not that familiar with their habits, but I would think if a massive treasure trove of lost DW episodes was found, the BBC would be as giddy and excited as anybody, and wouldn't hesitate to announce it to the world.

And the same goes for the people who actually discovered them. That just doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to keep secret-- regardless of how much money you could possibly make off the thing.

Much as I really want to believe the rumors about more eps in the pipeline, I just have a hard time believing everyone involved is being THAT cynical and opportunistic about it all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 07:35 PM   #1031
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
the reaction you'd get out of 90% of fans is a sarcastic "of course he is."
The fans who cried McGann...
Old November 18 2013, 07:56 PM   #1032
Tom
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I'm not that familiar with their habits, but I would think if a massive treasure trove of lost DW episodes was found, the BBC would be as giddy and excited as anybody, and wouldn't hesitate to announce it to the world.
I'm sure their happy because they can eventually sell them. How long did the BBC have WoF and EOTW before telling everyone? Must have been for a few months because they need the restoration team to work on them. So basically, in June, when they said they had no episodes they flat out LIED. It is, of course, their right to do so, but it make fans very distrustful of them as an organization. Maybe because there government run they could care less, who knows.

So by them holding back they create a couple problems. Rumors run rampant and there is not a reliable source to squash them because you can't believe the BBC either. The other is a marketing 101, less time to build hype about a product you want to sell, then the less of that product you could sell.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 07:59 PM   #1033
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

And the same goes for the people who actually discovered them. That just doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to keep secret-- regardless of how much money you could possibly make off the thing.

Much as I really want to believe the rumors about more eps in the pipeline, I just have a hard time believing everyone involved is being THAT cynical and opportunistic about it all.
Eh, they only announced the upcoming DVD Releases for the year they were being released and that took about 10 years didn't it?

As stated earlier, you just want to announce what you're going to be releasing in the near future. If people hear about 10 stories being released over over the next 3 or 4 years, many won't be as anxious to buy everything as it as it's released, if they know favorites are coming in a few months. Whereas, if you just announce 2 or 3 at a time, folks will jump on every single one as it's announced.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 10:53 PM   #1034
Christopher
Writer

Tom wrote: View Post
It is, of course, their right to do so, but it make fans very distrustful of them as an organization. Maybe because there government run they could care less, who knows.
Well, the BBC is an independent corporation operating under a government license and funded by the government (or specifically by the license fee charged to television owners). It's not actually run by the government.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 11:18 PM   #1035
Candlelight
Admiral

Or they would wait and milk it for some special event occurring in a few days time.