Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 14 2013, 04:19 AM   #931
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

DWF wrote: View Post
It's a shame that all but ep. of The Web Of Fear has been found, I've still love to see the first meeting between the Doctor and then Col. Lethbridge-Stewart.
If it helps any, we don't actually see their first meeting. It occurs behind the scenes because Patrick Troughton was on holiday during episode two and episode three leaps right to The Doctor and Lethbridge-Stewart finding Victoria. I hadn't forgotten that little tidbit until I watched the recovered episodes (and the reconstructed episode three).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 05:03 AM   #932
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

The next issue of Doctor Who Magazine, #466, will feature two different covers:

Doctor Who News

Issue details at the link above.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 05:21 AM   #933
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Sweet. Hopefully I can find the issue with Salamander on the cover.

Old October 18 2013, 03:29 AM   #934
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, no fan is ever going to take anything said by Morris or Vanezis at face value ever again. They both denied everything so vehemently. Morris even went so far as to say that there was absolutely no possibility that there were any further episodes to be found anywhere.
When did he say that? Because, as I remarked earlier, he said just the opposite on the "Reign of Terror" DVD commentary, that the search wasn't finished yet so nothing could be completely ruled out.
It was in a since-deleted statement on his organization's Facebook page. The text was:
T.I.E.A DOES NOT HOLD ANY MISSING EPISODES OF THE LONG RUNNING DR WHO SERIES. THE ORIGINAL VIDEO TAPES WERE WIPED SUBSEQUENT FILM COPIES WERE EITHER RETURNED TO THE BBC AND SENT TO LANDFILL ODD FRAGMENTS HAVE SURFACED TWO EPISODES ON 16MM FILM BUT THATS IT. THE PROGRAMMES IN QUESTION LIKE MANY OTHERS WERE DESTROYED AS THEY HAD NO FURTHER COMMERCIAL VALUE .THEY ARE NOT MISSING BUT DESTROYED THE END.I am sorry if this upsets some people but these are the facts.I have also become aware of the tracking of some of our clients shipments these are local cultural materials sent to us for migration to a modern format as the playback equipment in the country of origin no longer exists and as such is the best road to preserve international cultural heritage .I will be making no more statements on this subject.Philip MORRIS Executive director T.i.e.a
Vanezis' denials tended to address versions of the rumor that were inaccurate in some way, so they weren't dishonest as such, but Morris' statement doesn't seem to have any such get-out clause.
Yeah. I can kinda understand Vanezis' denials. He has such a frequent online presence and seemed to be pestered quite a bit on the subject. Most of his statements seemed to have the underlying subtext of, "Leave me alone, Ian Levine!" (Which, when I say it out loud, sounds like it should be a palindrome.)

But what the hell, Morris?! You're off searching the world for missing Doctor Who episodes while simultaneously giving the show's fans the equivalent of William Shatner's "Get a life!" speech!
Old October 18 2013, 03:56 PM   #935
diankra
Commodore

Actually, there's some careful phrasing in that statement of Morris's: TIEA don't hold any old programmes. What they are doiing, we now know, is carefully checking everywhere that the original TIE sold programmes to, in the hope that they may still hold them.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:10 PM   #936
diankra
Commodore

That's an interesting point, but by all accounts Hartnell was a non personal-ist (IYSWIM): he'd rant on about blacks and women and gays, but he was fine with individual people who happened to be black or female or gay, particularly once they won his confidence (such as Verity Lambert and Waris Hussein).
Even the notorious tale of how he treated Max Adrian on The Myth Makers has its subtleties; what shocked Adrian was that Hartnell was being so unpleasant to him given that they'd worked together before and got on well. And the explanation for that seems to be that Hartnell was out of sorts in general and just kicking out at any excuse: Myth Makers was the first story to be produced by John Wiles, so Hartnell was missing Verity Lambert; and Wiles had immediately rubbed Hartnell up the wrong way by effectively sacking Maureen O'Brien (who Hartnell liked immensely), and by refusing to let Hartnell have a day off rehearsals for his aunt's funeral (Hartnell being too proud to admit that, because he was illegitimate and his mother had more or less abandoned him when she did marry, his aunt had raised him and was, in every meaningful way, his mother).

Last edited by diankra; October 18 2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Mods:: this should be in the adventure in time and space thread... if possible please moce there. Sorry!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 06:20 PM   #937
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Thanks for sharing, diankra! As usual, you have lots of interesting info I wasn't aware of!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 08:01 PM   #938
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Actually, there's some careful phrasing in that statement of Morris's: TIEA don't hold any old programmes. What they are doiing, we now know, is carefully checking everywhere that the original TIE sold programmes to, in the hope that they may still hold them.
That part is carefully worded, and indeed accurate: by that point the episodes from the present recovery had been returned to the BBC and the Restoration Team were working on them. But "THEY ARE NOT MISSING BUT DESTROYED THE END" is hard to parse as accurate, unless you want to argue that "THE PROGRAMMES IN QUESTION" somehow doesn't include the recovered episodes.
Old October 18 2013, 10:34 PM   #939
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Thanks for sharing, diankra! As usual, you have lots of interesting info I wasn't aware of!

Mr Awe
Agreed. I didn't know any of that background history. I wonder if it'll be covered at all in An Adventure in Space and Time.

Old October 19 2013, 09:06 AM   #940
Candlelight
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
I think it was his cheeky follow up about "if you stop talking about them then they'll turn up" was a bit more of a clue.

His rant effectively shot down the rumour in it's tracks in late June, and people stopped talking about them...
Old October 20 2013, 02:24 PM   #941
Lonemagpie
Writer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

November 23rd should be interesting on several levels...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 03:35 PM   #942
Relayer1
Commodore

I have it on very good authority that there is another story back.
Old October 20 2013, 03:37 PM   #943
Lonemagpie
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Let's just sit back and reflect on why William Russell recorded a DVD commentary a fortnight ago.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 03:50 PM   #944
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Let's just sit back and reflect on why William Russell recorded a DVD commentary a fortnight ago.
Well there are other things he could be asked to do them for.

The first three stories never had full commentaries. And he is in Adventure in Space And Time. (As well as being witness to the original events)

Still an interesting possibility though.
Old October 20 2013, 06:27 PM   #945
Relayer1
Commodore

Mint anyone ?