To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 17 2013, 04:17 PM   #76
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

So, Ian has changed his mind if I'm reading that correctly? But, agree with Atticus, doubt anyone with real knowledge would spill the beans to him!

We have some knowledgeable DW/media experts here (diankra, StCoop, etc.), what's your guys take on the rumor?
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:33 PM   #77
Lonemagpie
Writer

I'm hearing elsewhere that there is a find, but it's one complete Hartnell only. Whether this means a complete story that previously was missing altogether (e.g. Marco Polo, The Smugglers or The Savages) or just the remaining episode(s) of an incomplete story (e.g. Tenth Planet 4) is totally vague.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:40 PM   #78
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Ah, I wonder if "complete Hartnell" in that context (one story) could be the source of confusion for "complete Hartnell" in the other, larger sense? At any rate, that scale of a find would seem more reasonable.
Old June 17 2013, 04:49 PM   #79
diankra
Commodore

I'd heard, late last year from a pretty reliable source, that there is a genuine, promising, lead, but there are problems in recovering the episodes - if they do exist - which have now been dragging on for months, and of course you can never be sure that they exist till you actually put the films through the projector. As for how many, or what, I've not heard anything reliable enough to want to get other people's hopes up...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 04:56 PM   #80
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ But, they're already up! Thanks for the info. Crossing fingers!
Old June 17 2013, 05:35 PM   #81
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

diankra wrote: View Post
I'd heard, late last year from a pretty reliable source, that there is a genuine, promising, lead, but there are problems in recovering the episodes - if they do exist - which have now been dragging on for months.
What kind of problems?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 05:51 PM   #82
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Emh wrote: View Post
I'd heard, late last year from a pretty reliable source, that there is a genuine, promising, lead, but there are problems in recovering the episodes - if they do exist - which have now been dragging on for months.
What kind of problems?
At a guess, not knowing the specifics of this situation, it's probably two things.

First, compensation.

Second, legal immunity.

The first one's kind of obvious -- the person, theoretically, has something the BBC wants. The BBC would claim, "That's our property you have." The person who has the cannisters, however, may not view it that way. He may want either money to exchange hands or for the BBC to return the film to him once they've made duplicates. The BBC may not be willing to do either.

The second one isn't obvious, but I've heard it cited before in other returns. The films that were sent overseas were BBC property. If someone held on to them rather than returning them or destroying them, they're stolen goods and the person who has them could be prosecuted. The owner might be willing to give them back to the BBC (either gratis or with a price attached) in exchange for no criminal charges.

In short, the legal issues on this would be a murky Gordian knot.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 06:12 PM   #83
Relayer1
Commodore

In which case, sensibly the BBC would say :

'As we would have destroyed them had they been returned to us, we waive any previous claim of ownership in return for the return of the films. There was therefore no theft.

These films are extremely valuable to us and would have been lost without your intervention. We will therefore happily compensate you accordingly.'
Old June 17 2013, 06:25 PM   #84
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
First, compensation.

Second, legal immunity.
Thirdly condition, just because a film can contains an episode doesn't mean it will be recoverable.

When I heard the story a year ago it was 44 episodes. 90 was unreal. But for the 90 not to include 4 that had been animated anyway, seems a coincidence too far. A few of the sites are backtracking now, but I do think there's some minor truth it all somewhere.

Last edited by Rarewolf; June 17 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Rarewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 07:00 PM   #85
StCoop
Commodore

Nail. Coffin.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...sodes-or-less/
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 07:10 PM   #86
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Emh wrote: View Post
What kind of problems?
At a guess, not knowing the specifics of this situation, it's probably two things.

First, compensation.

Second, legal immunity.

The first one's kind of obvious -- the person, theoretically, has something the BBC wants. The BBC would claim, "That's our property you have." The person who has the cannisters, however, may not view it that way. He may want either money to exchange hands or for the BBC to return the film to him once they've made duplicates. The BBC may not be willing to do either.

The second one isn't obvious, but I've heard it cited before in other returns. The films that were sent overseas were BBC property. If someone held on to them rather than returning them or destroying them, they're stolen goods and the person who has them could be prosecuted. The owner might be willing to give them back to the BBC (either gratis or with a price attached) in exchange for no criminal charges.

In short, the legal issues on this would be a murky Gordian knot.
Thank you for clarifying that. Compensation is rather obvious, come to think of it, but I must admit I find legal immunity rather puzzling. I agree what you say makes sense, but I find it a little difficult that it would be an actual concern, especially considering BBC destroyed all of those episodes years ago and have come to regret it. On the flip side, it does make sense on a corporate level and I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised.

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
First, compensation.

Second, legal immunity.
Thirdly condition, just because a film can contains an episode doesn't mean it will be recoverable.
Another fair point. I've been so caught up on this rumor-mongering that I didn't even consider the obvious probability that many of these returned episodes are in poor condition.

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
When I heard the story a year ago it was 44 episodes. 90 was unreal. But for the 90 not to include 4 that had been animated anyway, seems a coincidence to far. A few of the sites are backtracking now, but I do think there's some minor truth it all somewhere.
I also found the coincidence to be rather striking that several of the "still missing" serials were those that have been animated already, although I admit I thought of it in the opposite direction, i.e. proof of validity. Your premise is far more likely, unfortunately.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 07:25 PM   #87
Takeru
Fleet Captain

If it's really a hoax I hope the guy hoaxing (is that a word?) everyone burns in hell for all eternity, I will start believing in hell just for him.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 07:58 PM   #88
StCoop
Commodore

Anyone who really thought that nearly every missing episode was going to turn up in the Anniversary Year really only has themselves to blame.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, as opposed to in this case no proof at all.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 09:35 PM   #89
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I've watched a recon of Evil of the Daleks three times. It's so fucking good I'd cry tears of joy if it were discovered, so I'm not gonna get too excited or I'll be upset when it turns out to be another duff rumour.

The fact that Dalek story is missing while Journey's End still exists is incredibly depressing. Probably one of the key reasons which led to me being a nihilistic atheist.
Journeys End was good. I like the fact all the companions returned and Davros did. If you want a bad modern Dalek story, look no further than Victory of the Daleks. Daleks in Manhattan and Evolution of the Daleks was worse than Journeys End and Stolen Earth (although still okay).
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 10:07 PM   #90
Candlelight
Admiral

I still call bollocks on this.

I want to believe but to say a stock pile of 8000 film cans comprising of 90 missing episodes conveniently turns up in the anniversary year is veeeerrrrry unlikely.

The fact it's anniversary year means any Who related news will be spread faster than normal. Throw a rumour into the mix and it'll be all over the Internet/world in 24 hours.