TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 10 2013, 03:02 PM   #811
StCoop
Commodore

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Wow, watching people on other sites starting to foam at the mouth at the thought of having to wait a few more hours for the details rather than being given them RIGHT! THIS! SECOND! reminds me once again that Doctor Who fans don't need anyone else to make them look bad as they'll manage quite well on their own.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 03:09 PM   #812
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Well, there's no need for people to foam a the mouth but I can also understand them feeling jerked around by the BBC who appear to have been not completely straightforward with fans. Now, they may have had good reasons for being slow with releasing information, but that also seems to be their MO.

At any rate, it is pretty exciting just knowing that soon we'll hear which new episodes have been found! That's the main thing!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 03:10 PM   #813
Anachronus
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
At any rate, it is pretty exciting just knowing that soon we'll hear which new episodes have been found! That's the main thing!
Mr. Awe, exactly so!

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 03:14 PM   #814
StCoop
Commodore

Well, there's no need for people to foam a the mouth but I can also understand them feeling jerked around by the BBC who appear to have been not completely straightforward with fans.
And if the information was being held back for a week as opposed to a couple of hours maybe then there might be a reason to get annoyed.

The number of people I've seen this week who seem to think the BBC should have carried out all its actions in full public view has astonished me. (I find it hard to believe that I'm the only DW fan out there with a job that brings them into contact with confidential negotiations and the like.)
Old October 10 2013, 03:17 PM   #815
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

^ Well, there's no need for people to foam a the mouth but I can also understand them feeling jerked around by the BBC who appear to have been not completely straightforward with fans. Now, they may have had good reasons for being slow with releasing information, but that also seems to be their MO.
What I don't understand is why people feel they are owed the information on their time scale, rather than when BBC wants to give the info (presumably not until everything is sewn up, and they can schedule release). Truth be told, The BBC has no requirement to recover lost episodes, or to even care about them. Why are the BBC seen as being scum for wanting to do it on their own timing?

Mr Awe
Oh yea, I can't wait until it's officially announced and we have actual facts

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 03:21 PM   #816
StCoop
Commodore

Just the nine episodes from Web and Enemy previously mentioned apparently.

(See, Embargos never work anyway.)
Old October 10 2013, 03:27 PM   #817
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
And if the information was being held back for a week as opposed to a couple of hours maybe then there might be a reason to get annoyed.
Well, there's no telling right now how long the BBC has sat on this information. And, as I said, they may have had good reasons. Unfortunately, it fits in with a common view that fans have of the BBC, that they don't care about the fans. So, justified or not, it's going to sting. Especially with the excitement surrounding this announcement.

And, they've already had screenings of them, so certainly they could've just announced them rather than excessively teasing the fans.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
What I don't understand is why people feel they are owed the information on their time scale, rather than when BBC wants to give the info (presumably not until everything is sewn up, and they can schedule release). Truth be told, The BBC has no requirement to recover lost episodes, or to even care about them. Why are the BBC seen as being scum for wanting to do it on their own timing?
Agree that fans aren't owed anything. However, it just seems like it would be nice to factor the fans into the BBC's plans when possible. After all, fans are people who really love the BBC's products, try to be considerate!

But, I do agree that the BBC might have had good reasons but unfortunately plays into a stereotype that many fans have of the BBC.

Mr Awe
Old October 10 2013, 03:29 PM   #818
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

What level of censoring was done on the Hartnell serials? Is it level of violence, romantic suggestion or certain dialogue, and to what extent?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 03:31 PM   #819
StCoop
Commodore

And, they've already had screenings of them, so certainly they could've just announced them rather than excessively teasing the fans.
But that's a bizarre way of filtering the actions. Stories like this are held back until after midnight so they can get a full day of press coverage, print and TV, out of them, not just the couple of hours of TV coverage it would get if it was released now. It's not just some random decision designed to annoy people.
Old October 10 2013, 03:38 PM   #820
StCoop
Commodore

Well that didn't take long.

People are all ready complaining that having one more fully complete story and one with only missing one episode isn't good enough or worthy of all the hype. (And ignoring that the BBC didn't hype anything.)
Old October 10 2013, 03:46 PM   #821
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

But that's a bizarre way of filtering the actions. Stories like this are held back until after midnight so they can get a full day of press coverage, print and TV, out of them, not just the couple of hours of TV coverage it would get if it was released now. It's not just some random decision designed to annoy people.
I'm just saying that I understand why some fans would be annoyed.

Mr Awe
Old October 10 2013, 03:48 PM   #822
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Web of Fear (6) plus Enemy of the World (6) minus Web part 3 should give us 11 episodes. So, does that mean 2 episodes are missing from Enemy?
Old October 10 2013, 03:49 PM   #823
VDCNI
Captain

We already had an episode each of Web & Enemy
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 03:50 PM   #824
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ d'oh!

Well I'm super hyped over these finds! Fantastic!
Old October 10 2013, 03:59 PM   #825
VDCNI
Captain

Wow, watching people on other sites starting to foam at the mouth at the thought of having to wait a few more hours for the details rather than being given them RIGHT! THIS! SECOND! reminds me once again that Doctor Who fans don't need anyone else to make them look bad as they'll manage quite well on their own.
There are people like that in all fandoms not just Who. Fandoms in general are hardly known for calm reasonableness.

With Who you do have the added complication of British fans expecting more from the BBC as they pay for it and non British fans not really understanding why the BBC doesn't act like your run of the mill commercial organisation.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote