Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 8 2013, 02:26 PM   #691
diankra
Commodore

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Pretty sure there's some people left from Web of Fear: if nobody from among the soldiers, then I think I'd have heard about Rod Beacham (Corporal Lane) dying via Blake's 7 fandom (he wrote Assassin, and the Ice Maiden episodes of Bergerac). Also, wikipedia has a page from Ralph Watson (Captain Knight) which says he's still around.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:33 PM   #692
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Judge Death wrote: View Post
If there was someone out there with a huge stash, what would stop them cutting out the middle man, as it were, and just making a deal with a DVD production company? Or are the episodes still effectively BBC copyright material (even though the BBC effectively destroyed all copies back in the day).
The BBC owns the copyright on the material on the films. There's no way to commercially exploit it without the BBC's participation.

And even if the person who had the hoard waited for the copyrights to expire in a few decades, the BBC could attempt to stifle exploitation through trademark.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:35 PM   #693
StCoop
Commodore

If there was someone out there with a huge stash, what would stop them cutting out the middle man, as it were, and just making a deal with a DVD production company? Or are the episodes still effectively BBC copyright material (even though the BBC effectively destroyed all copies back in the day).
The episodes themselves are BBC copyright until 70 years after the end of the year in which the death occurs of the last to survive of the principal director, the authors of the screenplay and dialogue, and the composer of any music specially created for the film.*

The physical cans of film they're stored on are another matter.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-d...-faq-lasts.htm
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:36 PM   #694
Starkers
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The BBC owns the copyright on the material on the films. There's no way to commercially exploit it without the BBC's participation.

And even if the person who had the hoard waited for the copyrights to expire in a few decades, the BBC could attempt to stifle exploitation through trademark.
I figured that would be the case, I just wondered if there was some kind of legal loophole given the BBC didn't care enough about the material to keep it in the first place
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:39 PM   #695
StCoop
Commodore

I figured that would be the case, I just wondered if there was some kind of legal loophole given the BBC didn't care enough about the material to keep it in the first place
It was nothing to do with not caring. It was the massive cost of storing something (not just Doctor Who) that there was no way of forseeing would ever have any future value. An episode of British TV in the 1960's was designed to be seen at most twice and then never again.
Old October 8 2013, 02:45 PM   #696
Lonemagpie
Writer

diankra wrote: View Post
Pretty sure there's some people left from Web of Fear: if nobody from among the soldiers, then I think I'd have heard about Rod Beacham (Corporal Lane) dying via Blake's 7 fandom (he wrote Assassin .
He died on February 12th this year.

http://www.thestage.co.uk/features/o...4/rod-beacham/

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:54 PM   #697
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

BBC News finally reporting it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063.
Old October 8 2013, 02:55 PM   #698
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
If Lizo Mzimba is reporting it, then it must be true.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:58 PM   #699
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
Pretty sure there's some people left from Web of Fear: if nobody from among the soldiers, then I think I'd have heard about Rod Beacham (Corporal Lane) dying via Blake's 7 fandom (he wrote Assassin .
He died on February 12th this year.

http://www.thestage.co.uk/features/o...4/rod-beacham/
Yikes, I missed that. =/

So it looks like the only major actors left are Frazer, Deborah, Tina Packer (Anne Travers) and Jon Rollason (Chorley)? And John Levene played a Yeti.
Old October 8 2013, 02:58 PM   #700
Starkers
Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
It was nothing to do with not caring. It was the massive cost of storing something (not just Doctor Who) that there was no way of forseeing would ever have any future value. An episode of British TV in the 1960's was designed to be seen at most twice and then never again.
Yeah, I ws just wondring if some smart arse lawyer could make a case
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 02:59 PM   #701
Turbo
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Yeah, I ws just wondring if some smart arse lawyer could make a case
Even if someone could possibly make a case here, the Broadcast Act 1956 states that all television broadcasts are under copyright for 50 years from the date of broadcast, so the only story that would "benefit" is Marco Polo, and not until the middle of next year.
Old October 8 2013, 03:08 PM   #702
Lonemagpie
Writer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

OK, so how many, and which? Wake me up when they announce that.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:11 PM   #703
StCoop
Commodore

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
OK, so how many, and which?
It's looking like "how many" will depend on how many people buy the first few.
Old October 8 2013, 03:13 PM   #704
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

So, BBC has now officially announced the announcement

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:14 PM   #705
Turbo
Vice Admiral

Interestingly, The Web of Fear audiobook is no longer available from either iTunes US or Audible.com. Not sure if it's been gone awhile, as I bought it ages ago, but it is the only one missing. (They even finally put The Wheel in Space up there - took long enough!)