USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 7 2013, 04:36 PM   #616
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

StCoop wrote: View Post
I'll tell you what though, if tomorrow does end up passing without any announcement, I'll be staying away from any DW related sites for a week.

Or two.
Best to delete those bookmarks now: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...update-2347529.

So they printed up elaborate invitations before they were sure they could make the date? If that's actually true (and I don't know what to think anymore), the BBC or whatever responsible entity has screwed this up six ways from Tuesday.

"They have been waiting nearly 50 years for this, so a couple of days shouldn't make any difference."

Tell that to Ian Levine's rage-raddled corpse.

Last edited by Brendan Moody; October 7 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Brendan Moody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 04:41 PM   #617
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I really love the line "the fans have been waiting for 50 years." Somehow, it just makes me chuckle.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 04:43 PM   #618
Lonemagpie
Writer

I find myself incapable of feeling about something so distant and impersonal as a missing Dr Who episode recovery. Partly it's cos I'm just fed up of the way fandom behaves when there's a whiff of it - anything found will be dismissed as disappointing compared to the novelisation/audio/reconstruction - and partly it's cos I've been around long enough to have heard it all before, but mainly...

Mainly it's because I've lost people this year - friends and family - and what I want back is my friend (the one who's not dead, I just lost the friend and their friendship). I've looked for feelings about whether there'll be any missing DW found; I've looked for hope, or nerves, or excitement, and there isn't anything.

Oh, I can *think* about it, and appreciate there might be cool stuff to see, and it's important for historical archival purposes, but I can't feel anything about it.

I'd take a geeky conversation with my lost friend over all the 106.

If it's time travel you want, I'd burn every episode that *does* exist if it would get me a shot at saving any of those in my life who died this year...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 04:54 PM   #619
StCoop
Commodore

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Best to delete those bookmarks now: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...update-2347529.
The supposed quotes in there sound soooo fake.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:06 PM   #620
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

So, they're not ready so they can't announce them? Non sequitur. So, it's not ready it doesn't mean they can't go ahead and announce it saying they'll be ready on such and such date. Seriously BBC!

Normally, I'd say take their time, announce it when they're ready. But, they announced the announcement, it's better to go with that than cancel the announcment! Now, they're just pissing people off! And, I'm usually patient!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:18 PM   #621
Relayer1
Commodore

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I find myself incapable of feeling about something so distant and impersonal as a missing Dr Who episode recovery. Partly it's cos I'm just fed up of the way fandom behaves when there's a whiff of it - anything found will be dismissed as disappointing compared to the novelisation/audio/reconstruction - and partly it's cos I've been around long enough to have heard it all before, but mainly...

Mainly it's because I've lost people this year - friends and family - and what I want back is my friend (the one who's not dead, I just lost the friend and their friendship). I've looked for feelings about whether there'll be any missing DW found; I've looked for hope, or nerves, or excitement, and there isn't anything.

Oh, I can *think* about it, and appreciate there might be cool stuff to see, and it's important for historical archival purposes, but I can't feel anything about it.

I'd take a geeky conversation with my lost friend over all the 106.

If it's time travel you want, I'd burn every episode that *does* exist if it would get me a shot at saving any of those in my life who died this year...
Just because you've got some perspective, it doesn't mean everyone else has...

Last edited by Relayer1; October 7 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:28 PM   #622
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The Radio Times has updated its article, also claiming a short delay:
Originally the BBC had scheduled a Wednesday release but now sources confirm that the date is likely to be later this week.

A reason has not been given, but sources are adamant that the release will be this week.
Oh those sources, always so adamant about their latest new claim...
Old October 7 2013, 05:28 PM   #623
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Tell that to Ian Levine's rage-raddled corpse.
Ian got the news. (Warning: Profanity at the link.)

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:32 PM   #624
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

If I'd tried to write a parody of Levine's response to the news, it wouldn't have been better than that. (Check out his full feed for the rest, but quickly, before he decides to delete it all. He's also complaining to the possibly-fake TIEA account, and suggesting that in the past he's been "treading on eggshells" and suppressing his opinions.)

Not that I'm unsympathetic about the underlying complaint; if the BBC does have something to announce, they've chosen the most convoluted way possible, and done it badly to boot.

Last edited by Brendan Moody; October 7 2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: fixed bad link
Brendan Moody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:57 PM   #625
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

If I'd tried to write a parody of Levine's response to the news, it wouldn't have been better than that. (Check out his full feed for the rest, but quickly, before he decides to delete it all. He's also complaining to the possibly-fake TIEA account, and suggesting that in the past he's been "treading on eggshells" and suppressing his opinions.)

Not that I'm unsympathetic about the underlying complaint; if the BBC does have something to announce, they've chosen the most convoluted way possible, and done it badly to boot.
Ian Levine's Full feed is TrekBBS Main Forum page?

With all these, ups and downs and delays and holding off, it's a damned good thing we're only talking about Doctor Who episodes and not orgasms

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 06:01 PM   #626
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Apparently I failed to click "copy" before clicking paste, so my link went awry. Let's take another shot: https://twitter.com/IanLevine/.

Just now he's hoping someone at the press conference will work to elicit a revelation about that possibly-mythic "the rest" I mentioned yesterday. Because trying to force the BBC's hand has worked so well over the past three months.
Old October 7 2013, 06:03 PM   #627
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Ian got the news. (Warning: Profanity at the link.)
Ian Levine is the superfan who made shitty reconstructions, right? Why do people even care what he has to say, as I understand it he's just a nerd with money.

I honestly don't care if an announcement is delayed a little bit, I've been playing the waiting game with George R.R. Martin for years, a few days are NOTHING and it is absolutely ridiculous to scream and shout profanities because they make you wait less than a week.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 06:05 PM   #628
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

But the BBC hasn't announced anything yet.

Here's my hunch, proceeding from the assumption that there is something missing episodes-related to announce.

The Sunday People article -- 106 episodes in Ethiopia -- led Radio Times to put out their article, which had been prepared in advance and embargoed, because they believed, not entirely incorrectly, that the Sunday People article, as inaccurate as it was, meant that the information was now public and the embargo no longer held. RT jumped the gun out of good reason -- they perceived that they were being scooped, but it was a misread of the situation -- but their article confirmed some unexpected things like the iTunes downloads that wouldn't make sense in other contexts, tacitly confirming that there was a positive missing episodes story. And now we're in a weird situation where the BBC hasn't said anything about what is essentially their story, pro or con.

I wonder if they can't because the details aren't all nailed down. Notice that other Doctor Who outlets aren't running with the story, either. To me, everything about the last thirty-six hours screams an embargo that hasn't been lifted, despite Radio Times running with the story prematurely.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 06:07 PM   #629
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Well, to be fair, Levine has believed these rumors (barring occasional periods of doubt) for years, and has been told an announcement is imminent for more than six months. Whether that's the fault of the BBC or of people feeding him crap info is another question.

Levine, like a lot of people named in this thread and in the rumors generally, is someone who has had various low-level involvements in professional Doctor Who over the years. This leads "ordinary" fans to imagine that he's a fount of knowledge or wisdom, in spite of what would seem abundant evidence to the contrary.
Old October 7 2013, 06:10 PM   #630
StCoop
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
They announced the announcement, it's better to go with that than cancel the announcment! Now, they're just pissing people off! And, I'm usually patient!
The BBC haven't announced anything. A tabloid newspaper made a claim, as did a TV listings magazine that has nothing to do with the BBC anymore.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote