RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 483
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 6 2013, 09:50 PM   #601
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Stephen James Walker says he's heard it'll be two *stories* rather than two episodes, which would tally with the edits to the Radio Times article. And "Web" and "Enemy" have, along with "Marco Polo," been part of the rumor for a while. Interestingly, while Paul Vanezis denied at various points that all three had been found and that "Web" had been found complete, he never said anything about "Enemy" by itself, or about most but not all of "Web."

...I'd like to be the first to say that "Web" doesn't live up to its reputation.
Old October 6 2013, 10:02 PM   #602
diankra
Commodore

Web and Enemy matches what I'm hearing, right or wrong.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 10:16 PM   #603
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

So, what time would an announcement like this be made? Around Noon or bright and early before Noon?

(Here in California in the USA, it appears we are 8 hours behind London, so, getting up at 4:30am or 5am, I expect I'll be able to wake up to posts about the announcement, if it's done by Noon). I assume at this point, there is no doubt there will be some kind of announcement Tuesday, that it is pretty much confirmed something is being announced? (even if it's a denial because it's all hogwash)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 11:04 PM   #604
N-121973
Commander

I don't know and I've been looking at these links and many of them are saying two episodes, not stories, with more to come later. Is it possible that they'll show one each remastered episode (all assuming there's anything to the rumour in the first place) from EOTW & WOF as a taster to whet our apetite and then release them all (however many there may or may not be) on DVD next year? By the way I just finished watching Terror of the Zygons and its extras on DVD before logging in here so I'm pumped for this news.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 11:23 PM   #605
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The links say two episodes because that's what the Radio Times article originally said. But it's since been changed to remove the specific number, so there's no information on how many episodes, if any, are being announced or released, or how many stories they're from.
Old October 7 2013, 12:13 PM   #606
StCoop
Commodore

Well, judging by what he's just tweeted, Mark Gatiss got his invitation.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Oh my giddy Aunt!</p>&mdash; Mark Gatiss (@Markgatiss) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/statuses/387159291691814912">October 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:42 PM   #607
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I'd say that I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I'm past that point! Here's hoping! However, I'm expecting "just" a couple of episodes. Would love to think stories but that would be off the charts fantastic.

However, I do wonder if the BBC would release 2 individual episodes via iTunes? They didn't do that last time right? I know one went onto the Aztecs special edition DVD.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:44 PM   #608
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Speaking of the Aztecs, they're showing that story on Watch (UK) this Saturday along with a bunch of other Who stuff.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 02:55 PM   #609
StCoop
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
However, I do wonder if the BBC would release 2 individual episodes via iTunes? They didn't do that last time right? I know one went onto the Aztecs special edition DVD.
Daniel Hall did say that if the Aztecs SE hadn't already been planned that's how it would have been released.

While things might change tomorrow as it currently stands there's only three DVDs left to go and their contents are locked down at this point.
Old October 7 2013, 03:02 PM   #610
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Got it. So, if anything is released via iTunes it may suggest that its individual episodes rather than full stories which would presumably get their own DVD release?
Old October 7 2013, 03:19 PM   #611
diankra
Commodore

Just noticed that there's a Missing Believed Wiped event at the National Film Theatre tomorrow night: it's supposed to be a package reshowing past recoveries requested by attendees at past screenings, but it's one hell of a coincidence if there's no connection...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 03:53 PM   #612
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

If it's all true, Tom Spilsbury either wasn't invited or is still playing dumb: https://twitter.com/TomSpilsbury.

"Nothing planned for tomorrow, I don't think" and "It's about some iPlayer thing, isn't it? No, I won't be there."

Paul Vanezis, on the other hand, retweeted Mark Gatiss' "Oh my giddy Aunt!"

The "iPlayer thing" is a keynote speech about technological challenges facing the BBC by Director General Tony Hall. Some are suggesting that speech got twisted by the rumor mill into the upcoming announcement; others think it'd be a good place to make the announcement. Yet others think the two are separate and it's just one more coincidence.
Old October 7 2013, 04:08 PM   #613
StCoop
Commodore

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Paul Vanezis, on the other hand, retweeted Mark Gatiss' "Oh my giddy Aunt!"
James Moran seems to think something is happening too.

I'll tell you what though, if tomorrow does end up passing without any announcement, I'll be staying away from any DW related sites for a week.

Or two.
Old October 7 2013, 04:20 PM   #614
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

It's been a serious roller coaster ride hasn't it?!
Old October 7 2013, 04:28 PM   #615
N-121973
Commander

I have to be honest after reading the above couple of posts I'm beginning to wonder whether or not there is anything to this after all or whether several different pieces of info have become conflated into a claim that there's going to be an announcement of lost Dr Who episodes.
What Mark Gatiss could be going to is a screening of these missing believed wiped episodes at the NFT tomorrow and one or more Pat troughton episodes that have been recovered are being shown (and by recovered I mean episodes we already know about), hence the 'Oh My Giddy Aunt'. The BBC DG meanwhile is giving his presentation and as was suggested above its got twisted.
To put it simply, nothing has been found and its just a screening in one place of a hitherto already rediscovered Pat Troughton episode whilst the BBC DG pontificates on Itunes and such like and if there is any announcement re missing Dr Who episodes it'll be on the lines of 'Sorry to disappoint but nothing has been recovered.' God I hope I'm wrong.
N-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote