Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 6 2013, 08:00 PM   #586
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...sale-this-week

Yup. Seems unlikely they'd release them in that way unless they were the tip of a larger iceberg...

Last edited by Atticus; October 6 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 08:25 PM   #587
diankra
Commodore

Ok, the pessimist (and probably realist) take on this: it's Airlock and Underwater Menace 2, and Radio Times has messed up by saying they're both Troughton episodes.
The optimist take: wow!
But... I'm going to go for pessimist: always go for cock-up rather than conspiracy (even if it is a conspiracy, someone involved in it will cock-up).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 08:31 PM   #588
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Even given the caveats diankra mentions, the Radio Times article is the first thing to make me suspect there might actually be some truth to all this. There's been a version of the rumor circulating recently where the find is "only" the five missing episodes of "The Enemy of the World" and four of the five missing from "The Web of Fear." That, I could believe. And putting them on iTunes, perhaps gradually, isn't unheard of-- it was mooted for Air Lock and UM2.

But I'll wait for an announcement before getting excited. I think the BBC has to say something soon, one way or the other. Either a massive misunderstanding has happened, or they've been thoroughly scooped.
Old October 6 2013, 08:34 PM   #589
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

I can't believe the RT, which is pretty knowledgeable about DW, would goof so spectacularly - and it would be a particularly spectacular goof - about this subject, especially given they've shown acute awareness of the febrile discussions over the rumours - see their earlier article chasing up said rumours. Some small doubt in me lingers, especially as the timing of the announcement is odd, but I can't believe it's not what it looks like...
Old October 6 2013, 08:37 PM   #590
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/l...DRZ2OI.twitter
Old October 6 2013, 08:44 PM   #591
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Damn, this is starting to sound real. And yet, I remain pessimistic because I remember how excited I got back in June.

Interestingly, the press conference is on a Tuesday.

Crap. Here we go again...

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 08:45 PM   #592
diankra
Commodore

Fwiw I've just had a text saying my pessimism is wrong and it is very good news. Am hoping for a second source, which is when I'll believe it.but now hopeful.
Old October 6 2013, 08:47 PM   #593
StCoop
Commodore

Evil Headhunter wrote: View Post
Damn, this is starting to sound real. And yet, I remain pessimistic because I remember how excited I got back in June.

Interestingly, the press conference is on a Tuesday.

Crap. Here we go again...
Two episodes is a realistic number. One hundred, not so much.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 08:50 PM   #594
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

God help them if they're announcing two episodes found, or nine, or seventeen, or anything below the ninety-odd some people are expecting. Because if they are, there's going to be endless expectation of future announcements about "the rest," whether they exist or not.
Old October 6 2013, 08:59 PM   #595
StCoop
Commodore

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
God help them if they're announcing two episodes found, or nine, or seventeen, or anything below the ninety-odd some people are expecting. Because if they are, there's going to be endless expectation of future announcements about "the rest," whether they exist or not.
Whatever happens I wouldn't want to be Paul Vanezis this week!
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 09:00 PM   #596
diankra
Commodore

Ok... I know Mark Jeffries (killing time between interviews on set trips) and he's fairly reliable. I doubt he'd have run that story unless the Tuesday press conference was happening, and had something to do with the vintage series rather than the new one.
The Radio Times post, FWIW, comes from Ben Dowell, rather than their resident (ex-DWM) Who correspondent Patrick Mulkern (who is probably having the weekend off right now).

Last edited by diankra; October 6 2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added detail to a post-from-phone.
Old October 6 2013, 09:06 PM   #597
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

StCoop wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Whatever happens I wouldn't want to be Paul Vanezis this week!
Honestly, given the level of grief he's been getting all summer, I wouldn't be him right now at all.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 09:20 PM   #598
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The Radio Times article has been slightly edited; it no longer gives the number of episodes that will appear on iTunes, though the word "both" was inadvertently left in.
Old October 6 2013, 09:40 PM   #599
Lonemagpie
Writer

I'm told it's (at least two episode of) The Highlanders. But then I was told last November about Marco Polo being found, and nothing came of that either.

If there's something new found, then there's something new, and that'll be way cool and I'll enjoy it, but after months of the Bleeding Cool omnirumour, I'm not willing to get worked up about it.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 09:48 PM   #600
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

The titles being bandied around as the iTunes stories are Enemy of the World and Web of Fear...