RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,718
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 614
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 6 2013, 12:46 AM   #556
diankra
Commodore

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Just when we thought it couldn't get any more insane, there's this, from one of Britain's Sunday newspapers.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/1...overed-2343474
Yep, all 106. Including Masterplan 7 (or maybe the original version of The Dead Planet, or the original versions of Crisis and The rge to Live. Which would bring it up to 109 episodes).
Or maybe not.
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:01 AM   #557
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

You know what else is in Ethiopia?

The Ark of the Covenant.

No, really! The Ethiopian Orthodox Church claims to have it in the holy city of Axum. I guess what Indiana Jones found was a fake.

Well, that's certainly an interesting article. And I'm curious to see if there's any official reaction to it. To some extent, internet chatter could be ignored, but now there's something in print from one of the papers. Sunday People alone might possibly be ignored, but what if reporters start digging into this and start asking questions? Will there be people at the Torygraph and the Grauniad tomorrow going, "Damn, we've been scooped by the Mirror?" Would that turn up the heat? And if there has been a discovery, would the snooping around prompt the BBC into a hasty announcement? (Which, based on past experience, seems to be about the only kind of announcement the BBC knows how to do.)

If the article's legit, it's interesting. If the article is a plant by a fan to force the BBC's hand, I salute his/her industriousness.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:23 AM   #558
Christopher
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
To some extent, internet chatter could be ignored, but now there's something in print from one of the papers.
In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if the papers just picked up the Internet rumors and printed them as fact without bothering with fact-checking or anything else resembling actual journalism.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:26 AM   #559
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I'd love to believe there's something to the rumor, and there really is some [reasonable] number of episodes being negotiated for, but, would they really keep releasing animated episodes if they had the whole lot within an inch of their possession?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:35 AM   #560
Christopher
Writer

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'd love to believe there's something to the rumor, and there really is some [reasonable] number of episodes being negotiated for, but, would they really keep releasing animated episodes if they had the whole lot within an inch of their possession?
If they'd already paid for making them, they wouldn't want to waste that investment. Animation takes a long time to make; the process could've been started before any new discoveries were made.

Not that I believe there are any new discoveries; I just think it's theoretically possible that they might still release the animated versions even if there were.

Old October 6 2013, 02:35 AM   #561
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
To some extent, internet chatter could be ignored, but now there's something in print from one of the papers.
In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if the papers just picked up the Internet rumors and printed them as fact without bothering with fact-checking or anything else resembling actual journalism.
I've been following these rumors, and Ethiopia has never been cited as a potential source of recoveries for the purported 90-ish. Heck, the country didn't even get the Troughton episodes. In that regard, the Sunday People report isn't accurate and is probably errant nonsense, because there wouldn't be 100-plus episodes to recover from there. (The Ark of the Covenant, on the other hand... )

So, no, Ethiopia is a new angle and the Sunday People didn't simply regurgitate internet chatter to get their article of errant nonsense.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 02:55 AM   #562
Christopher
Writer

^Unless they're inept at geography too and can't tell Ethiopia and Sierra Leone apart...

Old October 6 2013, 03:12 AM   #563
Candlelight
Admiral

I've been following these rumors, and Ethiopia has never been cited as a potential source of recoveries for the purported 90-ish. Heck, the country didn't even get the Troughton episodes.
Neither did Sierra Leone.

By known broadcast details, Ethiopia only have 11 missing episodes. Some people really don't know their history!

For those that want to know who got what, a quick list can be found here.
Old October 6 2013, 03:18 AM   #564
Candlelight
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Just when we thought it couldn't get any more insane, there's this, from one of Britain's Sunday newspapers.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/1...overed-2343474
Yep, all 106. Including Masterplan 7 (or maybe the original version of The Dead Planet, or the original versions of Crisis and The rge to Live. Which would bring it up to 109 episodes).
Or maybe not.
"A friend told me that..."

"sold by mistake"

The article has so many holes it's worse than swiss cheese!
Old October 6 2013, 03:20 AM   #565
Christopher
Writer

I like Swiss cheese...

Old October 6 2013, 03:35 AM   #566
diankra
Commodore

Well, Ethiopia has done its share in missing episode recoveries before now: it's a good bet that some of the copies of various season two stories recovered from Enterprises in 1978 had just been returned from Ethiopia (Algeria is the only other sensible source, and probably the source for the other season one/two stories found at the same time).

But yep, they shouldn't have had any season three, four or five stories (though Cyprus never bought Reign of Terror, but still got sent it). And if they ever did, wouldn't they have sent them back with season two in the late '70s? (assuming that is what happened).

It's a nonsense story: the mere mention of 106 episodes suggests that someone's been asked to write up a filler piece about the internet rumours, and done some very casual googling to pad it out.
Old October 6 2013, 03:43 AM   #567
diankra
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post

For those that want to know who got what, a quick list can be found here.
Actually, that's very impressive and interesting: good work!
A thought come to mind...

Iran only got some of Marco Polo, sent on from NZ. Which leads to the thought...
I didn't know Germany ever got anything. But is it possible that they only got sent some of The Ice Warriors? Hence explaining how an incomplete set of prints was found at Enterprises? (Every other recovery from Enterprises being a complete story). Total speculation, so probably wrong....
Old October 6 2013, 03:45 AM   #568
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
If they'd already paid for making them, they wouldn't want to waste that investment. Animation takes a long time to make; the process could've been started before any new discoveries were made.

Not that I believe there are any new discoveries; I just think it's theoretically possible that they might still release the animated versions even if there were.
But this rumor started in response to chatter about the Galaxy 4 and Underwater Menace episodes, that they were holding back the rest, and only admitting to those two. They were announced late 2011, is that still a reasonable amount of time to continue on with the animated episodes if they were looking at recovering all of them? I can totally understand a year, but, going on two years? Isn't there still another story beyond The Tenth Planet episode 4 that has been announced as being animated, and has a release date set?

Old October 6 2013, 03:51 AM   #569
Nightowl1701
Commander

If the deal wasn't yet locked down in late 2011, with every possibility of this supposed find going up in smoke like the Sierra Leone stash, yeah the BBC would pursue animation as a Plan B.

That said, I'm only gonna repeat what I just said on Facebook: I'm not gonna believe it until the BBC announces it AND they post clips online as proof. I'm not listening to anyone else crying (Bad) wolf.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 03:59 AM   #570
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
If the deal wasn't yet locked down in late 2011, with every possibility of this supposed find going up in smoke like the Sierra Leone stash, yeah the BBC would pursue animation as a Plan B.

That said, I'm only gonna repeat what I just said on Facebook: I'm not gonna believe it until the BBC announces it AND they post clips online as proof. I'm not listening to anyone else crying (Bad) wolf.
Don't mind me, I'm skeptical and just looking for something concrete to keep my hopes down