Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 13 2013, 10:23 PM   #31
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary

diankra wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
Alas, I remain the one fan of The Web Planet.
I like it well enough, not a favorite, but, I don't dislike watching it

If I was gonna give up surviving episodes in exchange for lost ones, I'd give up the 4 of Reign of Terror and The Gunfighters 4 episodes
But Reign isnt existing, its Recovered! I remember when it was missing and how I schemed to get copies when those 4 eps turned up!
Oh, I don't discriminate. If it exists, I call it surviving, wether it survived the purge or turned up after the purge (I don't have brain space to keep track of the details other than what's still missing, LOL). I should have said "existing", I forgot the level of knowledge I am dealing with her

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 10:50 PM   #32
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^By coincidence, I just read a review of "The Web Planet" that ended with a lament that it still exists while stories like "Fury From the Deep" and "Marco Polo" don't.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Love most Hartnell but The Web Planet is really boring and a tough watch. Marco Polo recon was gripping though, no doubt it'd be a Top 10 classic if it were still around.
Ahem, you mean you remain the OTHER fan of The Web Planet.
Old June 13 2013, 11:38 PM   #33
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I guess for me, the only thing that will surprise me is seeing Christopher Eccleston on the screen as the 9th Doctor. Anything else I can take or leave, considering the only Doctor Who I watched is the new one.
Old June 13 2013, 11:54 PM   #34
diankra
Commodore

I like it well enough, not a favorite, but, I don't dislike watching it

If I was gonna give up surviving episodes in exchange for lost ones, I'd give up the 4 of Reign of Terror and The Gunfighters 4 episodes
But Reign isnt existing, its Recovered! I remember when it was missing and how I schemed to get copies when those 4 eps turned up!
Oh, I don't discriminate. If it exists, I call it surviving, wether it survived the purge or turned up after the purge (I don't have brain space to keep track of the details other than what's still missing, LOL). I should have said "existing", I forgot the level of knowledge I am dealing with her
The irritating thing is that Reign of Terror 3 & 6 are among the dozen or so episodes (taking 1980 as Year Zero, and restricting it to Hartnell and Troughton, as a lot of Pertwees that existed in B&W then turned up in colour) that have been double-recovered. The Web Planet makes another six of them (but the existing copies of 1 & 6 were edited, so we at least got something back when the dupes turned up)...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 11:54 PM   #35
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
^But The Gunfighters is magnificent.
I'm rather fond of it myself. I can only wonder what the recons for Gunfighters would have been like!

I have been aware of this rumour for a year or so. Evil wasn't part of the haul when I heard it, but I suppose that could have changed. Time will tell if there's any truth to any of it.
Old June 14 2013, 01:56 AM   #36
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Some Evil of the Daleks discoveries would be awesome!
Old June 14 2013, 02:23 AM   #37
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I love The Web Planet.
Old June 14 2013, 02:26 AM   #38
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

Good to see there are a few fans of The Web Planet still kicking around.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 02:32 AM   #39
diankra
Commodore

There are three views on The Web Planet:
1) "It's brilliant!" This was usually said by people who were eight in 1965, and they kept saying it until the 1980s, when they got to see it again.
2) "It's awful." This was said by people who'd grown up taking the word of group one, and then saw it for themselves in the 1980s.
3) "It doesn't work, but it was worth trying" This is now said by sensible people, including those from group one, group two, and group born later. (Some people also add "And it might just have worked if it had had a different director. Like Douggie Camfield. Or Derek Martinus. Or...")
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 03:15 AM   #40
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Cool if true. However, I think it's more likely that they'll announce that they'll be animating all of the missing stories in question.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 06:41 AM   #41
VDCNI
Captain

Another round of the lets try not to get our hopes up but wouldn't it be fantastic if this was true!

I suppose the interesting thing is they are mainly talking about Hartnell's when most of us would like to see more Troughton's as he has less in the archives and hoaxes have tended to focus on the most sort after stories. Though this does mention Evil I suppose though these days Power tends to be the one most mentioned when people talk about what they want back and rightly so as going by the audio it is by far the better story.

Personally I like The Web Planet - any story that has Barbara being a war leader for a group of giant butterflies must have something going for it! And yes The Gunfighters is indeed fantastic.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 07:34 AM   #42
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

There are three views on The Web Planet:
1) "It's brilliant!" This was usually said by people who were eight in 1965, and they kept saying it until the 1980s, when they got to see it again.
2) "It's awful." This was said by people who'd grown up taking the word of group one, and then saw it for themselves in the 1980s.
3) "It doesn't work, but it was worth trying" This is now said by sensible people, including those from group one, group two, and group born later. (Some people also add "And it might just have worked if it had had a different director. Like Douggie Camfield. Or Derek Martinus. Or...")
4) The Web Planet is "Doctor Who does Lord of the Rings with cardboard insects", and there's nothing about that sentence that is not awesome.
Old June 14 2013, 09:49 AM   #43
Darth_Daver
Captain

I thought the big surprise was supposed to be a series of Paul McGann minisodes or whatnot. What happened with that rumor?
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 09:58 AM   #44
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

To late, i have allowed my hopes to soar on all this, no going back now, i am all in.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 02:32 PM   #45
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I've watched a recon of Evil of the Daleks three times. It's so fucking good I'd cry tears of joy if it were discovered, so I'm not gonna get too excited or I'll be upset when it turns out to be another duff rumour.

The fact that Dalek story is missing while Journey's End still exists is incredibly depressing. Probably one of the key reasons which led to me being a nihilistic atheist.
Nothing would please me more than having all 7 episodes of this particular Troughton serial returned in one piece in place of that wretched series finale.
Evil would be nice, but Power of the Daleks would be even better.