CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 7 2013, 07:50 PM   #331
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Shouldn't be repeated as though they were worth anything, sure. But as entertainment? They're more fun than a lot of the episodes they're about sound to have been.
Old July 7 2013, 09:14 PM   #332
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The possibility of missing episode discoveries was discussed at work a few days ago. One of my coworkers said that there seemed like an awful amount of smoke so there must be something to the rumors.

"No," I said, "it's just as likely that there's a lot of people blowing dust around in a circle, and you blow enough dust it'll look like smoke."
I try to talk to my coworkers about this. But my few fellow geek coworkers are just Trekkies, not Whovians. They can't understand the agonizing "what if"s of having so many lost episodes. Trekkies? Oh, there was a brief period in the 1980s when they couldn't find the original color negatives of the non-"Menagerie" footage from "The Cage." Oh, you poor babies!
Old July 7 2013, 11:02 PM   #333
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I try to talk to my coworkers about this. But my few fellow geek coworkers are just Trekkies, not Whovians. They can't understand the agonizing "what if"s of having so many lost episodes. Trekkies? Oh, there was a brief period in the 1980s when they couldn't find the original color negatives of the non-"Menagerie" footage from "The Cage." Oh, you poor babies!
damn you, just burst out laughing. thankfully no one was around to see that
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 12:05 AM   #334
diankra
Commodore

I got some interesting developments on the rumours last week - promising, but nothing definite: nothing nearly certain enough to want to pass on. I suspect that's all we'll get until there's either something definite or... well, if there isn't anything, there's no denial that will end it, is there?
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 12:23 AM   #335
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Shouldn't be repeated as though they were worth anything, sure. But as entertainment? They're more fun than a lot of the episodes they're about sound to have been.
I suppose you've got a point there, especially with the current lack of any news. However, I can see some people taking that in a, where there's smoke, there's fire sense.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 02:18 AM   #336
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

When all is said and done, I hope that whatever has happened (and I still wouldn't rule out there having been an actual rediscovery, even a substantial one, that has complicated denial of the more ridiculous rumors. I also wouldn't rule out it all being vapor), people who heard things that weren't true from "reliable sources" will reevaluate their notions of who's reliable and worth passing on without names attached. Assuming that someone can't have steered you wrong because you happen to like him or because she's a "big name fan" just underestimates the amount of rumor and poor judgment in a fandom that really wants to believe more episodes exist than probably do.
Old July 8 2013, 10:10 AM   #337
Candlefright
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
I got some interesting developments on the rumours last week - promising, but nothing definite: nothing nearly certain enough to want to pass on.
And you are saying this here because....................?

Old July 8 2013, 02:53 PM   #338
diankra
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
I got some interesting developments on the rumours last week - promising, but nothing definite: nothing nearly certain enough to want to pass on.
And you are saying this here because....................?

Sorry, I meant that until there's something that isn't a bit of a house of cards I'm going to go back to listening without posting on this, like for the first half o the year!
Old July 8 2013, 06:36 PM   #339
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post

I think if everything just existed we'd take if for granted. No forum meltdowns over a minor discovery, no cherishing 30 seconds of found footage. That everything exists on audio is amazing.

And I dare say being forced to enjoy some of it on audio, made some of us more receptive to Dr Who as an audio product.
Old July 9 2013, 03:47 AM   #340
The Wormhole
Admiral

Also, some of the missing stories probably wouldn't be as well-regarded if they had never gone missing. Don't get me wrong, there are some top-notch stories among the missing, but they aren't all classics and there are a few of them fandom likely wouldn't pay that much attention to if they'd been available all this time.
Old July 9 2013, 06:12 AM   #341
Candlefright
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Also, some of the missing stories probably wouldn't be as well-regarded if they had never gone missing. Don't get me wrong, there are some top-notch stories among the missing, but they aren't all classics and there are a few of them fandom likely wouldn't pay that much attention to if they'd been available all this time.
Of course not. I think part of the appeal is simply the mystery surrounding the episodes, or the challenge of finding them.
Old July 9 2013, 02:44 PM   #342
diankra
Commodore

And equally, there are some stories with a single surviving episode where that episode looks to be the dud, so they'd probably have better reputations if a different episode had survived (Enemy of the World, Space Pirates and, proving the point rather, Underwater Menace on the strength of part three).
And similarly there are some complete stories which would probably be better regarded if only a single episode survived, provided it was the right episode (The Space Museum 1, for instance... creepy and weird, with none of that 'Run along corridors and let's have the revolution right here' stuff that clogs up the other three).
Old July 9 2013, 11:01 PM   #343
Candlefright
Admiral

The Enemy of the World definitely. The story is brilliant, and it's a shame the weakest episode survived.
Old July 29 2013, 04:20 PM   #344
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Rich Johnston has another article up. It's 40 episodes! No, it's 93! And they'll be showing "The Web of Fear" on BBC 4 in November! And releasing "The Enemy of the World" on DVD! And everybody gets a pony!

Meanwhile, the debate on Gallifrey Base and the Missing Episodes Forum has become ever more ridiculous, complete with faked tweets, speculation about a haul so big even dozens of Doctor Who episodes would seem insignificant, and the claim that calling a rumor "nonsense" hardly qualifies as a denial. There's still no actual evidence of anything, but if you have too much time on your hands, it beats taking up knitting.
Old July 29 2013, 04:34 PM   #345
Lonemagpie
Writer

He's obviously just getting off on trolling GB and the like.

(That said, I could easily believe there'll be a screening of The Web Of Fear on BBC4 in November - with the caveat that I mean I could believe they'd show the one single surviving episode as part of a theme night!)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote