Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 20 2013, 02:28 PM   #241
StCoop
Commodore

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Turbo wrote: View Post
And even without that, as Emh just pointed out, we're getting The Tenth Planet, The Ice Warriors, and The Moonbase released with animated episodes, we got The Reign of Terror earlier this year, and all the Pertwee episodes have been restored to color.
None of which has any connection to this being the Anniversary year.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:39 PM   #242
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Ian Levine's response to the Morris statement:
Deeply sick, distressed, disheartend, all hopes dashed, all joy gone from the world. That's it. DO NOT ASK ME TO SAY ANOTHER WORD
The fact that he's flipped on this rumor twice in the course of the week, and been so over-the-top vehement in holding each position, is pretty much the best case study in The Problem of Ian Levine that you could ask for.
The guy really seems to have some sort of emotional/mental issues. Don't mean that as an insult but the wild vacillations are a bit extreme.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:49 PM   #243
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

What's sad is the number of people on the Gallifrey Base missing episodes thread who are now saying they only believed this rumor because Levine believed it and said he had seen proof. Of course, his proof was only ever that shipping ticket, but despite knowing how Levine behaves, they couldn't accept that he would flip-flop over evidence as shaky as that.
Old June 20 2013, 02:54 PM   #244
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Ian Levine's response to the Morris statement:
Deeply sick, distressed, disheartend, all hopes dashed, all joy gone from the world. That's it. DO NOT ASK ME TO SAY ANOTHER WORD
The fact that he's flipped on this rumor twice in the course of the week, and been so over-the-top vehement in holding each position, is pretty much the best case study in The Problem of Ian Levine that you could ask for.
The guy really seems to have some sort of emotional/mental issues. Don't mean that as an insult but the wild vacillations are a bit extreme.

Mr Awe
Eh, tank up on alcohol (or other recreationals), mix in a highly emotional situation like the recovered episodes situation and let him near a keyboard, and it's a recipe for disaster. I don't drink anymore myself much at all (Drank some Mango Margaritas last weekend for the first time in 6 months), and I don't think alcohol is necessarily needed to produce these insane rantings, but, I am sometimes glad I don't do Facebook, Twitter, etc and don't have the visibility that he does. I sometimes regret what I posted on BBS when I look at it later, I can't imagine what kind of trouble I could get myself into with a Twitter account, a highly emotional situation, and high visibility, especially if I decided to have a few drinks before getting fired up.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:53 PM   #245
StCoop
Commodore

What's sad is the number of people on the Gallifrey Base missing episodes thread who are now saying they only believed this rumor because Levine believed it and said he had seen proof. Of course, his proof was only ever that shipping ticket, but despite knowing how Levine behaves, they couldn't accept that he would flip-flop over evidence as shaky as that.
Over the years I've seen that there are a group of people who will believe whatever he says and defend him no matter how horribly abusive he gets purely because he saved some old episodes from destruction.

Yes it's great that we have them but they don't buy him a lifetime pass to be a Dick.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 04:28 PM   #246
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Paul Vanezis has put a further nail in the coffin over at the Missing Episodes forum:
All,

I outlined on Gallifrey Base some time ago how I think this mutated from a list of titles I created for the DW production office of what could potentially be still out there(around the time Air Lock and Underwater Menace were returned) to a mixed bag of 44 episodes or thereabouts, to the bizarre figure of 90, which is a new one on me.

That initial 'chinese whispers' rumour just got repeated and embellished and when you want to believe and every Tom, Dick and Harry has a theory, then this is what you get.

People have been wondering why I didn't step in sooner and "nip it in the bud". Well, I have better things to do with my time than repeat myself on a DW forum. People wouldn't believe me anyway.

People know that I believe it when I see it. Here's a new one; if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
Even that won't be enough for some of the people in the Gallifrey Base thread, who (until it got temporarily closed again) were busily suggesting that the TIEA denial was a lie requested by the BBC, that the wording wasn't definite enough, that there was something suspicious about the whole business. They demand official statements from everybody and their brother, poke holes in any statements that are made, and then act surprised when Vanezis and others don't bother debunking every new iteration.
Old June 20 2013, 04:33 PM   #247
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
Over the years I've seen that there are a group of people who will believe whatever he says and defend him no matter how horribly abusive he gets purely because he saved some old episodes from destruction.
There's a recurring theme in his Doctor Who Online interview along those lines, that Doctor Who fans are horribly mean to him and they should treat him better because don't they know and understand what he's done for them by saving so much? Yet in the same interview he takes pride in having blackmailed John Nathan-Turner during the 1980s to ensure his continued access to the show. He wants people to treat him reverently as though he's a saint when he's the furthest thing from it.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 06:17 PM   #248
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

And along those very lines, Ian explodes at "ungrateful" fans and their lack of "gratitude" on Twitter.

allyngibson.net
Old June 20 2013, 06:29 PM   #249
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
And it's already deleted. Oh dear.
Old June 20 2013, 06:47 PM   #250
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Ungrateful for him saying he had proof the rumor was real (After decrying the falseness of it) and then switching back again to it being false?

What is there to be grateful for? He's already gotten gratitude for his prior contributions

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 06:51 PM   #251
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post

Yes it's great that we have them but they don't buy him a lifetime pass to be a Dick.
Case in point: https://twitter.com/PittTheBlogger/s...64752015048704. Which Levine retweeted.

He's now saying he thinks something has been found after all. But he's not going to comment further. (Until the next time his mood flips.) Per someone at GB, a since-deleted tweet was "@corn_dolly TRUE FANS ???? YOU いい !!!!!! I saved directly or indirectly 53 missing episodes and asked for nothing. TRUE FANS !!!!! I QUIT". I don't know if there was more. Asked for nothing... except for people to forgive his every abusive outburst.
Old June 20 2013, 07:26 PM   #252
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Ungrateful for him saying he had proof the rumor was real (After decrying the falseness of it) and then switching back again to it being false?

What is there to be grateful for? He's already gotten gratitude for his prior contributions
Gratitude for his efforts at saving what we have of 1960s Who, that what he says "ungrateful" fans owe him. That's what he said in the deleted Tweet. Which I should have copied in full. :-/

Per someone at GB, a since-deleted tweet was "@corn_dolly TRUE FANS ???? YOU いい !!!!!! I saved directly or indirectly 53 missing episodes and asked for nothing. TRUE FANS !!!!! I QUIT". I don't know if there was more. Asked for nothing... except for people to forgive his every abusive outburst.
There was that one, but that wasn't the one I linked to. The marked out word in that particular one rhymed with "hunt."

allyngibson.net
Old June 20 2013, 07:29 PM   #253
diankra
Commodore

He's now saying he thinks something has been found after all. But he's not going to comment further. (Until the next time his mood flips.) Per someone at GB, a since-deleted tweet was "@corn_dolly TRUE FANS ???? YOU いい !!!!!! I saved directly or indirectly 53 missing episodes and asked for nothing. TRUE FANS !!!!! I QUIT". I don't know if there was more. Asked for nothing... except for people to forgive his every abusive outburst.
The self-delusion being that he has always asked for something - to have his opinions taken as more important than those of A N Other Fan (and not just on episode recoveries).

Last edited by diankra; June 20 2013 at 07:39 PM.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 08:13 PM   #254
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Paul Vanezis has put a further nail in the coffin over at the Missing Episodes forum:
All,

I outlined on Gallifrey Base some time ago how I think this mutated from a list of titles I created for the DW production office of what could potentially be still out there(around the time Air Lock and Underwater Menace were returned) to a mixed bag of 44 episodes or thereabouts, to the bizarre figure of 90, which is a new one on me.

That initial 'chinese whispers' rumour just got repeated and embellished and when you want to believe and every Tom, Dick and Harry has a theory, then this is what you get.

People have been wondering why I didn't step in sooner and "nip it in the bud". Well, I have better things to do with my time than repeat myself on a DW forum. People wouldn't believe me anyway.

People know that I believe it when I see it. Here's a new one; if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
Yup, that's all she wrote. Alas. Until next time, of course.

Even that won't be enough for some of the people in the Gallifrey Base thread, who (until it got temporarily closed again) were busily suggesting that the TIEA denial was a lie requested by the BBC, that the wording wasn't definite enough, that there was something suspicious about the whole business.
What I found particularly amusing was the one poster who claimed the wording was "too definitive." Can't win for losing!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 08:35 PM   #255
Candlelight
Admiral

I knew I shouldn't have thrown out those 90 episodes I found last week prematurely...

Ah well. Lets move on.