Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old June 19 2013, 04:14 PM   #181
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

The plot thickens....

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:15 PM   #182
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Not really a denial but it's the best we're going to get for awhile.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:16 PM   #183
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
That non-response is VERY suggestive. If they wanted to squelch the rumors, they'd just deny them. But, they intentionally did not deny them. They just could not confirm, which is entirely different.

This almost proves it to me more than anything else!

Mr Awe
Yea, pretty brutal non-denial denial if it is all BS. "Unable to confirm the find" had to be a specifically selected statement. A real denial would be "There is no truth to the rumor" or "there are no missing Doctor Who episodes in our possession" or something equally as definitive
If there is no truth to the rumor, they'd better state that ASAP otherwise there will be a lot of bitter fans. If there's no truth, it's in their power to let us know. I will be annoyed if there's nothing to it and they don't tell us straight away.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:20 PM   #184
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
And, I don't get the whole thing with Ian? He's always listed as a "super-fan" but so what. He's just some guy. Sounds like an irritating guy too, but I don't know him. I have no idea how people became so interested in him.
If you've seen 'Love & Monsters' then you've seen Ian Levine (minus the literally turning into a monster bit).

He was a fan who managed to wheedle his way into pseudo-involvement with the TV series, including partially writing one story, for which he got "paid" in Video Tapes and other Benefit-In-Kind (a lot of which have turned up on Classic Series DVDs but generally not until he's thrown a tantrum and threatened not to contribute anything ever again).

He's also very, very rich. I mean seriously loaded. Which is why he's taken in recent years to hiring people to make Doctor Who, animated and live-action (with the real actors) for the benifit of himself and the chosen few he shows it to.
Was he the big guy who was the Absorbalof or whatever? (I try to forget that episode.)

Didn't know he was so loaded. But, if he's so rich, why does he need free video tapes?!

Well, the next time he throws a tantrum and threatens to not contribute anymore, they should take him up on that promise! I mean seriously, not contribute?! He's already not contributing.

Which story did he partially write?

Thanks for the info, BTW. I still think he's completely non-relevant!
Old June 19 2013, 04:20 PM   #185
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

^ At the time Levine started contributing, there were no Doctor Who releases on videotape. He in fact takes credit for stopping the junking in the late 70s.
Old June 19 2013, 04:24 PM   #186
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

If there is no truth to the rumor, they'd better state that ASAP otherwise there will be a lot of bitter fans. If there's no truth, it's in their power to let us know. I will be annoyed if there's nothing to it and they don't tell us straight away.
I don't mean this in a bad way, but fans really don't matter to the BBC. If fans get their hopes dashed over the non-appearance of forty-plus year-old episodes, that's not going to keep them away from the new episodes. For the brand managers of Doctor Who, missing episodes are nothing more than a curiosity that have no bearing on what they're doing with the property. The people at the BBC that would have the most interest in missing episodes would be BBC Worldwide since the episodes would give them more product to sell, but BBC Worldwide doesn't drive the brand.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:25 PM   #187
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

"Attack of the Cybermen." Officially credited to Paula Moore, Eric Saward's ex-girlfriend.

allyngibson.net
Old June 19 2013, 04:26 PM   #188
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
"Attack of the Cybermen." Officially credited to Paula Moore, Eric Saward's ex-girlfriend.
And both of them vehemently deny Levine's involvement.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:27 PM   #189
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Was he the big guy who was the Absorbalof or whatever? (I try to forget that episode.)

Didn't know he was so loaded. But, if he's so rich, why does he need free video tapes?!

Well, the next time he throws a tantrum and threatens to not contribute anymore, they should take him up on that promise! I mean seriously, not contribute?! He's already not contributing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Levine

You might also want to check out this recently published book which has plenty of juicy Levine tidbits and is also one of the best, if at times shocking, behind-the-scenes accounts of DW production.

You are right, however. These days he is completely irrelevant, but worth watching for being highly amusing, albeit completely unintentionally.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:29 PM   #190
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Emh wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
And both of them vehemently deny Levine's involvement.
The only thing that seems to be consistent in all accounts is that Eric Saward wrote the final script. Who wrote the outlines, draft scripts, etc. is all up for debate.
Old June 19 2013, 04:32 PM   #191
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

If you're really curious about Levine, his role in Doctor Who history, and his unique views on the series, you should find three hours and listen to Doctor Who Online's interview with the man. Well, interview is the wrong word; they start off with a question, and then Levine talks for three hours about his interests.

Part One
Part Two

Frankly, I spent much of the three hours with my jaw hanging open.

allyngibson.net
Old June 19 2013, 04:32 PM   #192
StCoop
Commodore

Victor Kennedy the guy who takes the fun out of being a fan of the Doctor is pretty much Ian.

These were tapes of unedited Studio Sessions and the like.

He also appointed himself "Official Continuity Advisor" to the series back in the 1980's (and still managed not to point out to anyone what the Silurian's third eye was used for.)

His actual job is a Music Producer and that's where he made all his money.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 04:43 PM   #193
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Atticus wrote: View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Levine

You might also want to check out this recently published book which has plenty of juicy Levine tidbits and is also one of the best, if at times shocking, behind-the-scenes accounts of DW production.

You are right, however. These days he is completely irrelevant, but worth watching for being highly amusing, albeit completely unintentionally.
My very slight curiosity about the guy has been satisfied so no need for more research! However, I do plan to get that book because I am particularly interested in JNT's time. Davison is "my Doctor" even though I started watching with Tom Baker.

Mr Awe
Old June 19 2013, 05:18 PM   #194
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

My very slight curiosity about the guy has been satisfied so no need for more research! However, I do plan to get that book because I am particularly interested in JNT's time. Davison is "my Doctor" even though I started watching with Tom Baker.

Mr Awe
Cool, it's excellent.... and terrible all at the same time

Meanwhile, the Radio Times is the latest to weigh in...
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 06:02 PM   #195
Tom
Rear Admiral

On the BBC's potential secrecy, wild thought here.. if the BBC did retrieve some lost episodes could they can incorporating some of the footage in the anniversary special. What a shock it would be for a big Doctor Who fans to see a clip from EoTD lets say. Clips could also be used for AiTaS as well.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote