Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 4 2014, 04:25 AM   #1561
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Australis wrote: View Post
Sorry, little beind the times on the info, what did happen to the Australian prints? Were they video or film?
Overseas broadcasts prior to the mid-70s were 16mm film. From season 10/11 onwards broadcasters started to request 2" quad tapes.

Power:

Australia - Returned to BBC London in 1975
New Zealand - Sent to Singapore in 1972 (IE there were only two sets of prints sent round the world over three countries)

Evil:

Australia - Returned to BBC London in 1975
New Zealand - Junked by the NZBC prior to 1974

If you want some bedtime reading, you can look here:

http://missingepisodes.blogspot.co.n...anyprints.html

Though parts of the bicycle chain is out of date in light of new information, and I hope to update it in the coming months.
Old August 4 2014, 03:39 PM   #1562
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I've been hoping for precisely this since the show returned to see the very dynamic that diankra referred to. Even though I knew Tom Baker was going to appear (or rather knew he made the claim), I still hoped The Curator was going to be Ian. Huge miss opportunity, one that doesn't quite work as well with Peter Capaldi.
Agreed. Another huge missed opportunity, up there with the Brig not appearing in DW proper.

Although, William Russell isn't in the best of health. I met him at the 50th celebration and he was very cheerful, but you could tell he wasn't quite all there. I think he's almost 90! So, he may not have been up to appearing.

Mr Awe
He managed An Adventure in Space and Time just fine.
I wonder where he had to go to shoot his scene for An Advtenture . . .? Maybe it was closer to home whereas travelling to Cardiff for Day of the Doctor could've been problematic?

I'm not sure. But, I too was hoping he'd appear in Day of the Doctor! They did put Ian's name on the school sign though! Not the same but a nice touch.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 06:12 PM   #1563
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Just checked, An Adventure in Space and Time was filmed in London. I'm sure it was much easier for William Russell to get there than Cardiff!
Old August 4 2014, 08:05 PM   #1564
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Do Doctor Who cast members have to jog or walk to Cardiff to be in an episode? I would think a limo or car would be able to take them.
Old August 4 2014, 08:13 PM   #1565
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ He's 89 so a long ride could still be problematic. I don't know that is the issue though, just hypothesizing.
Old August 4 2014, 09:59 PM   #1566
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Just checked, An Adventure in Space and Time was filmed in London. I'm sure it was much easier for William Russell to get there than Cardiff!
He enjoys travelling.

He keeps himself pretty busy on the signing circuit of late; 5 years ago I made special effort to meet him - one of the last classic companions I hadn't met and I had to - after all my name is Ian!, he's done at least 6 signings this year, another 4 lined up already, including Glasgow, Middlesbrough (the next day!) and Belfast.

When I met him in February he said he was annoyed all he was offered these days is cameos.
Old August 4 2014, 10:08 PM   #1567
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ I met him in London at the 50th Celebrations. Very nice man! Glad he enjoys travelling! He's doing well for being nearly 90!
Old August 6 2014, 12:03 PM   #1568
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
NightJim wrote: View Post
You're all absolutely right, it would have been awesome to see. However, hasn't NuWho established that because of their exposure to the Tardis, Ian and Barbara aren't aging? I vaguely remember hearing that somewhere.
Yes, that is mentioned in SJA, which I would be okay with ignoring if it meant a William Russell cameo. But even if you want to acknowledge it, there are ways to work around it, too.
It's actually said in SJA that it's *rumoured* Ian and Babs don't age, not that they definitely don't.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 01:52 PM   #1569
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
You're all absolutely right, it would have been awesome to see. However, hasn't NuWho established that because of their exposure to the Tardis, Ian and Barbara aren't aging? I vaguely remember hearing that somewhere.
Yes, that is mentioned in SJA, which I would be okay with ignoring if it meant a William Russell cameo. But even if you want to acknowledge it, there are ways to work around it, too.
It's actually said in SJA that it's *rumoured* Ian and Babs don't age, not that they definitely don't.
Exactly. I'll take Ian's appearance on "The Crusade" video over Sarah Jane's "rumours."

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 06:19 PM   #1570
Lonemagpie
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post

Exactly. I'll take Ian's appearance on "The Crusade" video over Sarah Jane's "rumours."
The Crusade video intro as canonical as any screen appearance to me.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 05:24 PM   #1571
inflatabledalek
Captain

Planet 55 have formally announced they aren't currently working on animating any Who episodes and there are no plans to do any more, cue mass speculation they don't need to animate the rest of The Underwater Menace because Phil Morris has found them but won't be handing them back until Ian Levine explodes like a burst balloon.
Old August 7 2014, 09:39 PM   #1572
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

So that means The Underwater Menace is the only existing episode of Doctor Who that still hasn't been released.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 11:41 AM   #1573
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

there are ways to work around it, too.
It's easy - they were spotted whilst travelling with the Doctor in the 21st century.

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Planet 55 have formally announced they aren't currently working on animating any Who episodes and there are no plans to do any more, cue mass speculation they don't need to animate the rest of The Underwater Menace because Phil Morris has found them but won't be handing them back until Ian Levine explodes like a burst balloon.
It's also possible the powers that be simply saw Web of Fear made record sales with a telesnap recon, so why fork out money on an animation? Now we know the two stories aren't in the same league, that 1/6 reconstructed is not the same as 1/2, but if it sold half as well they wouldn't complain.

But ultimatly the best option is for them to wait and see what Phil has.
Old August 9 2014, 01:37 PM   #1574
Australis
Writer

Candlelight, thanks for the info.
Old August 13 2014, 03:16 AM   #1575
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

How exactly would that work anyway? It doesn't seem to have affected Sarah Jane or Jo at all.

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
It's also possible the powers that be simply saw Web of Fear made record sales with a telesnap recon, so why fork out money on an animation? Now we know the two stories aren't in the same league, that 1/6 reconstructed is not the same as 1/2, but if it sold half as well they wouldn't complain.
Honestly, outside of "The Invasion," I've been pretty unimpressed with the animated episodes so far. On the other hand, the telesnap reconstruction of "The Web of Fear, Part 3" worked so well that I barely noticed that it wasn't an actual episode.

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
At the very least, he could've appeared at the opening of the story, telling Clara that "her Doctor" called for her and such. Having that young bloke when you could've used one of the original actors from the first-ever story, and in a school setting no less... I just can't fathom it.
Agreed!

I also think they could have worked Romana, Susan, & Leela into the Gallifrey scenes. (Even a much older Commander Maxil, perhaps?)