Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 10.87%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 48 52.17%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 13 14.13%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 22.83%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2 2014, 05:16 PM   #451
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile
Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Usually registers about 14-18mbps on our 24mpbs connection.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2014, 12:29 PM   #452
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

One question to PS4 owners:

Are your download speeds from PSN also very slow? I have a 50Mbit line and when i download off my PC it runs at maximum speed usually.

On the PS4 it was a very slow crawl (had to leave my PS4 on over night to download some 8 GB).
I'm in the U.S., but I also have a 50 Mbps connection. No issues here though I have my PS4 connected to my router with an ethernet cable.
Old June 8 2014, 02:17 AM   #453
martok2112
Captain

Late to the game, folks, sorry.

Because of all the b.s. surrounding the Xbone, I decided to go strictly PS4 for now. I might get an Xbone later (waaayyyy later) when I am absolutely convinced that they are not going to backpedal and reinstate the very b.s. they suddenly relented on just shortly before release.

Part of me thinks all that b.s. was nothing more than a "publicity stunt" aimed at fooling gamers into thinking that M$ "actually listened" to their fans and customers, so they could sell more consoles.

I love my Xbox 360 and my PS3, but the only next-gen switch I made was to PS4, which I got just a couple weeks ago. The only irk I have is that Elder Scrolls Online for consoles got pushed back to 2015, when it was supposed to come out the day before my birthday this year. Ah well....I might just get the PC version since its out already.

So far, I have Watch Dogs (very cool game, and watching cars crash into each other because you hacked the traffic lights NEVER gets old LOL!), Wolfenstein: The New Order, really good FPS, and Killzone Shadow Fall, which I'll start after I finish Wolfenstein. I loved the Killzone series ever since the PS2 Killzone debut, years ago.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 08:24 PM   #454
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post

One question to PS4 owners:

Are your download speeds from PSN also very slow? I have a 50Mbit line and when i download off my PC it runs at maximum speed usually.

On the PS4 it was a very slow crawl (had to leave my PS4 on over night to download some 8 GB).
I'm in the U.S., but I also have a 50 Mbps connection. No issues here though I have my PS4 connected to my router with an ethernet cable.
Issue has resolved itself, i assume PSN was under maintenance these days because a few days ago download spead increased to normal levels.

Currently enjoying Infamous.. i just started today and am very early in the game but i already like the main character very much and it's just fun to zoom around rooftops taking potshots at the enemy guards.

Played some Call of Duty Ghosts too.. Single Player is honestly nothing to speak of and only tried a couple of rounds of MP where my ass got handed to me

I also have Watchdogs and Assassins Creed 4 to play. Yes, i have loaded up with games when i bought it but i don't plan to buy anything else until Fall when Destiny and Dragon Age get released (though you know how plans go). These games should tide me over until then.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2014, 10:34 PM   #455
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I thought the Xbox E3 conference today was their best in years. Nothing mind-blowing, but there was a decent number of games on show and barely any focus on Kinect or peripheral features. The Crackdown teaser was the first time I felt a desire to have an Xbox One, but a CG trailer with no info about the actual game isn't enough to convince me to jump in.
Old June 10 2014, 07:18 AM   #456
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Much of it bored me, but I appreciated the focus on actual games. Crackdown and a few Indies looked interesting but not enough to buy one. mostly felt I'd made the right choice picking a ps4. Going to watch Sony later.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old June 10 2014, 08:19 AM   #457
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^Yeap, Crackdown will have me buying a XB1 at some stage, but not until i can get it for £150, so a few years to go yet.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 11:27 AM   #458
martok2112
Captain

I remember getting the first Crackdown for 360, and thinking, damn, this is a cool game. The second game was a bit of a let down. I doubt a new Crackdown is going to entice me to get an Xbox One. I'm still a bit skeptical about their pre-system release b.s.
Old June 10 2014, 04:10 PM   #459
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Microsoft > Sony.

Microsoft focused on what mattered most and showcased a good selection of games. Sony dragged out the conference with business statistics (no, I don't give a shit how popular the share button is), some mafia guy talking about his TV show, and tired jokes. Also, most of the PS4 big reveals were remakes or multi-platform games (No Man's Sky). PS4 had a small teaser for Bloodbourne, but Microsoft had a better teaser for Scalebound. Microsoft also gave more attention to indie games, and as an unabashed lover of all things indie that made me happy.

But neither conference was above average. The games were lacking, there was too much CG instead of gameplay in the trailers, too many angry dude with guns protagonists, no hilarious "giant enemy crab" moments, and no real surprises. Nothing good, but nothing bad either. I was disappointed. Hopefully Nintendo's conference today will make up for the lackluster showings of Microsoft and Sony.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 04:44 PM   #460
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

I found far more of interest in the Sony one than I did in the MS one. Waiting for Nintendo to start now and they've already had one of their surprises leaked.
Old June 10 2014, 04:57 PM   #461
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

martok2112 wrote: View Post
I remember getting the first Crackdown for 360, and thinking, damn, this is a cool game. The second game was a bit of a let down. I doubt a new Crackdown is going to entice me to get an Xbox One.
The second Crackdown was a mess because the original developers were busy on another game so MS helped set up a new studio to make the sequel and only gave them about a year to develop it. If it had been an expansion sold for $20 it would have been fine, but charging full price for it was a rip off.

For this new Crackdown game they claim to have the original lead developer back, they've said it will be in a new city, and they're returning to the gangs of the first game and not the lame post-apocalyptic zombie stuff of the second. The trailer also hinted that the game may have a fully destructible city, but it was CG and might not mean much. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm still leaning towards getting a PS4, but the promise of a true sequel to Crackdown makes the Xbox One tempting.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Microsoft > Sony.
Agreed. There was some good stuff at the Sony conference, but they spent 20 boring minutes talking about statistics and TV stuff. You'd think these companies would have learned from the Xbox reveal last year that the kind of people that watch these conferences just want to see games.

After last year's amazing E3, this year's showing was underwhelming. It's understandable considering last year had the next-gen consoles to look forward to, and all the drama that surrounded Xbox One's DRM, but it's still disappointing that nothing exciting was shown at any of the conferences.
Old June 10 2014, 05:39 PM   #462
martok2112
Captain

I'll get an Xbox One when I can be 110% sure that they won't pull a re-reversal over their DRM and used-game policies. Til then, Xbox 360 is as far as I go with Micro$haft.

I also was not keen with one of M$ higher up's attitudes when it came to (at the time) the requirement (that they've since, provisionally, rescinded) that your Xbox One be online at all times. "if you want to play games that don't require you to be online, or if you don't have an online connection...there's another solution....it's called Xbox 360.".

Don't get me wrong...I enjoy games for 360 as much as I do PS3/PS4....but I'm very gunshy about Xbox One.
Old June 10 2014, 06:02 PM   #463
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

martok2112 wrote: View Post
I'll get an Xbox One when I can be 110% sure that they won't pull a re-reversal over their DRM and used-game policies. Til then, Xbox 360 is as far as I go with Micro$haft.

I also was not keen with one of M$ higher up's attitudes when it came to (at the time) the requirement (that they've since, provisionally, rescinded) that your Xbox One be online at all times. "if you want to play games that don't require you to be online, or if you don't have an online connection...there's another solution....it's called Xbox 360.".

Don't get me wrong...I enjoy games for 360 as much as I do PS3/PS4....but I'm very gunshy about Xbox One.
Personally that ship has sailed and i believe MS learned its lesson. I don't believe they'll reverse any of their pre-launch policies because Sony won't and then they've artifically and needlessly worsened the appeal of the XO.

Now that there's been a management change with MS i expect the XO to become more popular (even if it's only due to the lowered price) and it now depends on game output and maybe some additional hardware (Kinect sure won't move units because it's an unrealiable gimmick and still no must have games for it in sight).

Project Morpheus however (VR headset for the PS4) could be a real wrench in MS' plans if it turns out to be good and receives some good games, so far i have not seen a similar device for the XO.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 06:43 PM   #464
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Well I'm buying a Wii U soon. I'm not sure how much this Direct would appeal to more casual Nintendo fans, but for me it was fantastic. The entire lineup was brilliant.

And, as for the conference itself, I loved the focus on developers. It was great to see the actual developers behind the game sitting in a relaxed place talking about their games. And, even the humour was spot-on. Mother 3 joke? Nicely done Nintendo.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 07:19 PM   #465
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

One of the things I'm actually excited the most about is the return of Rainbow Six. The last few versions of the games turned them into pure shooters, but it seems like they're returning the series back to its roots as a tactical shooter with planning. I had a bunch of friends I'd play with. We all played the original, Raven Shield, and Rogue Spear and we loved every minute of it.

Not sure If I believe it to be in-engine as the trailer says it is, given Ubisoft's track record with trailers, but it's incredibly intense and gives an idea of the direction they're going in with this.

http://kotaku.com/rainbow-six-is-back-1588343662
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote