Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14 2013, 07:59 AM   #31
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

They should rename it the Xbox None.

Even though I live in one of the only 21 countries that'll be getting it, I'm still not going to validate Microsoft's asinine approach to console gaming.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 08:11 AM   #32
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I'm getting a Wii U, I have a feeling it will pull a 3DS with a slow start and then picking up as soon as the good stuff is released.

If I have to pick between Microsoft and Sony the PS4 wins, no contest. The XBone is unappealing, there's no way that thing will ever be in my living room, the biggest problem for me isn't even the DRM stuff, it's the always connected and always on or the thing won't work camera. Fuck Microsoft!
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 11:56 AM   #33
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Since sis is working for MS, I know she'll be given an Xbone and that I'll end up with it. I'll call it my Halo Player because it's the only exclusive I'm interested in.

I'll definitely buy a PS4.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 12:55 PM   #34
Relayer1
Commodore

Its certainly looking as if Microsoft are going to get a good kicking amongst hardened gamers.

I wonder if it will appeal to more casual purchasers ? Are there casual purchasers for a $500 console ? If not I could see this being Microsoft's exit from the market.
Old June 14 2013, 01:52 PM   #35
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

PC Master Race. I've got a year old, middle of the road computer I built a year ago for less then a grand that _destroys_ both of these machines. Maybe in a year or two after the price drops and there is a decent library of games, but I'm not paying $500 plus an extra controller and then paying $60-100 a year to play online when there are only a couple of launch titles that interest me that I can't already play on the PC (like WoT).
Old June 14 2013, 02:32 PM   #36
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
But the changes to gaming the success of XBox One will bring about will be monumental and horrible for gamers.

Only XBox One's failure to sell will be a good thing for gamers as a whole.
I don't entirely agree. I have no interest in purchasing an Xbox One as things stand because I find the DRM too restrictive, but some of the game sharing features they've mentioned are a step up on what we have now with the current digital distribution model. The ability to share games on your account with up to 10 "family" members (MS have confirmed they don't need to be actual family members), plus the ability to transfer your game licence to a friend (with caveats) are an improvement on Steam and other digital storefronts. If MS has some modest success then there'll be pressure on the likes of Steam to adopt similar features.

That being said, I still think the required internet connection and restrictions on disc-based games are asinine and I refuse to purchase the console for those reasons.

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
You know.. that marketing guy is actually right. E3 is a special event and is attended by enthusiasts and hardcore gamers. Of course they will know more about this stuff and pay very close attention.

But Joe Schmoe clicking on Amazon links or wandering into the store? He doesn#t care a bit.. he sees pretty looking, cool games and is being told he needs the new console so he/she will buy it no questions asked.
That's what Microsoft is counting on, but I think they've miscalculated on that front.

Firstly, retailers like Gamestop aren't happy about the Xbox One's restrictions on used games as it's a threat to their business model, and there's already rumours of employees in their stores cautioning customers away from the console. Even if the company as a whole officially supports XBO, it's almost a certainty that they'll more heavily push the PS4 as there's more money there for them, so I imagine that the PS4 will have pride of place when you walk in the store and there'll be more shelf-space for PS4 games. At the very least they will be informing customers of the restrictions when they attempt to buy the console so as to limit the number of returns they receive.

Secondly, MS appears to have underestimated the importance of the hardcore gamers as early adopters. When a casual gamer is looking to purchase a new console a year or two down the line, one of the important criteria in that decision is which console their friends already have so that they can play multiplayer together, or trade games with one another. If the early adopters lean heavily in favour of the PS4, which appears likely right now, that will give Sony a big boost long-term.

Maybe Microsoft accounted for all this in their market research and they have a plan to overcome it all. But that's not the impression they're giving out at the moment, they appear to be genuinely taken aback by all the hate they received and are struggling to find a message to get the hardcore back. I hope they succeed enough to continue to provide competition to Sony, but that they take enough of a hit to back away from this anti-consumer crap in the future.
Old June 14 2013, 02:48 PM   #37
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Neither. I'm a PC gamer through and through, and have never owned a single console in my life.
Old June 14 2013, 04:20 PM   #38
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

This poll needs some extra options:
  • Not upgrading
  • Moving from consoles back to PC gaming
I would select either of those.
Old June 14 2013, 04:37 PM   #39
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

It's a shame because some of the XBOXOne features are pretty rad but they've shot themselves in the foot with all of the limitations and restrictions.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 05:06 PM   #40
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

One thing I'm curious about. With the push towards digital gaming, and the ability to directly download the game, why does the price not change? Should it not be cheaper for you if you download a game for your XBONE? Since there is no reason to purchase a disc anymore, as all the games will be stored on the HD...? This is not necessarily a bash at MS, because as far as I can tell that's the case for all.

Anyway, beyond my little sidetrack there, I will be going with PS4 when it comes time to upgrade from my 360. I only buy used games, so MS will put a major damper on my gaming and it's not worth the hassle.
Old June 14 2013, 05:21 PM   #41
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

The volume they print discs in, like the publishing books, means that it costs next to nothing, pennies, so there is no real savings in digital distribution. Also they don't want to undercut the shops and causing friction with the retail sector.
Old June 14 2013, 05:32 PM   #42
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

I'll almost certainly end up getting both systems, although neither at launch. I have a massive backlog of 360 and PS3 games that I've sworn to clear out before moving on to the next generation.

I'll probably wait until some time next year and I wouldn't be surprised if I pull the trigger on the PS4 first. I own a Vita and am very interested in the integrated functionality with the handheld.
Old June 14 2013, 05:35 PM   #43
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Agreed. If I were to get a new console (I'm not at this point, but if I were), I never get the first version of anything. Wait until all the bugs are worked out of the hardware and software for a few months to a year. By then it should be a relatively robust system.

I still remember the reveal press conference for the original XBox from many years ago. It got the blue screen of death in front of the whole world. And, IIRC, this was after MS publicly stated that XBox was not running a Windows kernel inside it. D'oh!
Old June 14 2013, 05:37 PM   #44
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Most of my gaming these days is done on the 360, but as it stands now I might switch to the PS4.

I'm in no real hurry to make the upgrade though. Most of the upcoming titles I'm interested in are either current gen or both. I'll probably give it a year. If Microsoft comes to their senses and backs off on their creepy assed big brother nonsense, I'll reconsider.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 05:42 PM   #45
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

TheMurph wrote: View Post
One thing I'm curious about. With the push towards digital gaming, and the ability to directly download the game, why does the price not change? Should it not be cheaper for you if you download a game for your XBONE? Since there is no reason to purchase a disc anymore, as all the games will be stored on the HD...? This is not necessarily a bash at MS, because as far as I can tell that's the case for all.
That's how it works on Steam. And that's how it should work on the Xbox One, but it won't.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote