Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 18 2014, 03:28 PM   #376
Jax
Admiral

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Reverend wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
For the month of March, with the release of Titanfall and an unofficial price cut that brought the Xbox One down to $450 in many stores, the PS4 still outsold it in North America. That's pretty suprising, most people were expecting Xbox to win last month as Titanfall is the console's big exclusive and it was massively hyped. If they can't win March, they're seriously struggling.

They'll need a strong showing at E3.
I haven't been following things closely, but I gather that players just aren't sticking with 'Titan Fall' the way the do with the likes of CoD, BF & Halo. It appears a lot of players are saying they're already bored of it after just a week.

It's often a mistake to use media hype as a measure for how successful a game really is. Word of mouth wins out every time.
Titanfall is a little shallow no doubt and won't have the legs of a COD game but even then I hear the number of players dropped quite quickly due to people getting bored. XB1 only lost by around 59,000 from reports (311,000 - 370,000).

Has the price cut come to America yet? the UK price will definitely help it over here.
Old April 18 2014, 03:37 PM   #377
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I was rather surprised by those numbers too. This was Microsoft's biggest month in their strongest market and they couldn't even outsell the PS4. Things don't look too good for Microsoft this generation.
Now now, just because they don't outsell their competitor doesn't mean they didn't break even. They're fine.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 05:07 PM   #378
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
XB1 only lost by around 59,000 from reports (311,000 - 370,000).
But Titanfall was supposed to be their ace in the hole. Remember E3 last year? "Our DRM policies don't matter, we've got Titanfall." They were banking on the game to sell consoles, they paid tens of millions to EA to secure console exclusivity, they funded a huge marketing push behind it, and they sold bundles at a hefty discount. Most people, myself included, were expecting MS to pull off a decent victory over the PS4 for March in North America. The fact that they didn't is a worrying sign for the console.

If things continue like this, Sony will have a clear lead worldwide by the end of the year. It's going to be harder for MS to pay for exclusivity like they did for Titanfall, and they don't have as many first party studios creating exclusives as Sony. Developers will likely make the PS4 the lead platform for multi-plat games as that's where most of their money will be coming from. The Xbox One isn't doomed by any stretch of the imagination, but they are in trouble, and they need to come up with some sort of strategy to ensure they don't fall too far behind.

Has the price cut come to America yet? the UK price will definitely help it over here.
I believe the RRP is still $500, but stores have been selling bundles with Titanfall for $450, which is technically cheaper than the PS4 + 1 game.
Old April 18 2014, 06:14 PM   #379
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

If MS can pull its head out of its posterior, and delivers a non-Kinnect SKU version for $100 less, as someone has postulated here, then that would be a good first step to becoming more competitive with Sony. That's pretty much the only thing that's keeping me from retiring my 360, and I suspect others are in the same boat. If it happens, I'm positive they will see a jump in sales. If not, I'm just going to hang on to my old 360 until the red ring of death claims its silcon soul.
Old April 18 2014, 06:24 PM   #380
Jax
Admiral

PS4 will no doubt lead by several million by the end of this year (one report had it at 12m vs. 9m). Microsoft won't get rid of Kinect until after E3 2015 IMO, they will want to see if 2015 will follow a similar pattern to 2014 and then will probably announce such a move for their big show at E3 to spin it the way they want.

I brought both simply because I could and while I play the XB1 more at the moment due to Titanfall (kinect is a hit n miss device not really needed) but the long term future for PS4 as a pure game console appeals to me greatly --- just need the games. At this rate am looking at playing my online games on XB1 due to XBL and single player on the PS4.
Old April 18 2014, 06:53 PM   #381
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I don't know if MS can afford to wait 18 months before they decide to offer the XBO without Kinect.

As cool as the device is it is not quite there yet and currently is more of a gimmick than a real input alternative so MS should think fast about offering a version without it and be able to drop the price to PS4 levels.

They need to swallow their ego and modify their plan to offer the entertainment center of the future when people just want a gaming console. They tried to impose their will on the customer before the console has even launched and paid a heavy price for it and still they refuse to change their path.

I doubt the XO will be a huge loss for MS or a loss at all but they could profit a bit more if they got rid of the mandatory Kinect. The XO is not a bad console from what i read, maybe slightly less powerful than the PS4 but honestly.. if you're weaving between buildings gun raised looking for targets would you really notice a slightly inferior resolution?

I sure don't and so the differences are cosmetic, at least to me.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 07:03 PM   #382
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have a friend who is an XBOX junkie, but even he passed on the XBone. He did end up buying Titanfall, but he bought it for PC.
Old April 18 2014, 07:52 PM   #383
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ "XBone"?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 08:00 PM   #384
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ A common humorous and derogatory moniker since its introduction last year with all its wonderous spyware capabilities and draconian DRM and licensing enforcement. Microsoft has been trying to tamp down its use since that time to no avail.

I prefer to call it X1, out of simplicity's sake, if nothing else.
Old April 18 2014, 08:36 PM   #385
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I realize it's probably intended to be "XB-one" but it looks way funnier as "X-Bone".
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2014, 08:37 PM   #386
RoJoHen
Awesome

That's kinda the point.
Old April 19 2014, 07:39 PM   #387
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Could it be people are tired of Multiplayer FPS? The XB1 doesn't interest me in the least, as I'm not into those, but it seems to me that a lot of the 360 and XB1 exclusives have been FPS games. If they'd diversify a bit, I think they'd have more of a chance. I've always felt Playstation exclusives were a lot more diversified.

Or maybe it's the fact that players like those other FPSes like CoD as they likely can't exploit Titanfall the same way, as I heard TF gameplay is supposed to try to level the playing field by giving all players a chance.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 09:27 PM   #388
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think both machines are pretty similar from a power standpoint. The reason I went with a PS4 was because I was tired of swapping batteries and I got frustrated with Microsoft constantly pressuring me for a second way to contact me.
Old April 21 2014, 05:00 PM   #389
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I don't know if MS can afford to wait 18 months before they decide to offer the XBO without Kinect.
I agree, waiting until 2015 doesn't make much sense. They have no reason to believe that the situation will change in the next year, and that would be an extra 12 months of falling further behind. Acting sooner would yield greater dividends over the long term. The fact that Xbox have a new guy in charge also makes it more likely for them to dump Kinect as it would be an admission that a mistake was made under Mattrick's tenure, not Spencer's.

I think a Kinect-less SKU being announced at E3 this year for $350 is a real possibility. I also think there's a good chance they'll drop the paywall for third party apps to bring Xbox Live into line with PSN.
Old April 21 2014, 05:10 PM   #390
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

They seem to be controlled purely by ego right now. Removing the Kinect from the SKU would be a bald-faced admission that the device was an unqualilfied failure - a device that was touted to be nothing less than an industry game-changer. Decisions made from pure ego and pride are very difficult to overcome, even in the face of all evidence that exists to the contrary.

I, too, hope they don't wait for another year to drop it, but there needs to be a major culture shift and acceptance of reality within the highest echelons of Microsoft to make it happen.