RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 388
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4 2014, 06:56 PM   #271
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
As a serious gamer with disposable income, getting both is, in the end, inevitable.
As a serious gamer myself I'm saying that only PC gaming is real gaming.

There.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 07:04 PM   #272
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I don't own a PS3 or an Xbox 360 and it seems unlikely I'll buy the new ones, either. My Wii is for the kids. I do all my gaming on the PC and 3DS, the latter for when I want portable gaming.

I just upgraded the PSU and video card in my PC, which should keep me in good shape for the next couple years.

I tend not to find console exclusives that compelling.
Old February 4 2014, 07:45 PM   #273
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I vastly prefer console and handheld gaming myself due to my preference for Japanese games. That's also why I prefer the Wii U to the Playstation 4 and the Playstation 4 to the Xbox One. With a few exceptions, Western games are completely unappealing to me. The PC is dominated by Western developers, so I have little interest in PC games.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 07:45 PM   #274
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of me lassoing bandits in Red Dead Redemption.
Old February 4 2014, 08:05 PM   #275
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
They're mildly compelling. Not being bound to Steam is even more compelling, however.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 08:36 PM   #276
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

ATimson wrote: View Post
They're mildly compelling. Not being bound to Steam is even more compelling, however.
What's wrong with Steam? It's good at a) giving me cheap games, b) giving me access to my library regardless of which computer I'm on, and c) generally stays out of my way.

Also, it is by no means the only way to play games on one's PC.
Old February 4 2014, 08:36 PM   #277
SPCTRE
Infinitely Cloud Powered

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

As a serious gamer with disposable income, getting both is, in the end, inevitable.

There.
Of course there's a gaming PC in our living room as well, that goes without saying
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of me lassoing bandits in Red Dead Redemption.
Ooouh, low blow man, low blow.
Old February 4 2014, 09:33 PM   #278
ATimson
Rear Admiral

What's wrong with Steam? It's good at a) giving me cheap games, b) giving me access to my library regardless of which computer I'm on, and c) generally stays out of my way.
It gives me access to my library regardless of which computer I'm on. It doesn't let me give access to games in my library that I'm not using to my friends and family. (Family Sharing kicks them off when I start playing any other game, so it doesn't count.)

For some games, yes. For popular AAA titles, it generally is the only way.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 09:58 PM   #279
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

ATimson wrote: View Post
It gives me access to my library regardless of which computer I'm on. It doesn't let me give access to games in my library that I'm not using to my friends and family. (Family Sharing kicks them off when I start playing any other game, so it doesn't count.)
Ah, that's a feature I don't really use. It would be ideal if the library could be shared and only simultaneous play of the same game was forbidden, but it's possible Steam's licensing agreements don't permit it. In any case, Steam accounts are supposed to be linked to an individual, which is something you know going in.

For some games, yes. For popular AAA titles, it generally is the only way.
Those AAA titles are usually on consoles, too, so you're locking yourself in one way or another.
Old February 4 2014, 10:27 PM   #280
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Interesting new article on the potential of a near-future Kinect-less X1. There may be hope for it yet...
Old February 5 2014, 02:50 AM   #281
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Old February 5 2014, 09:12 AM   #282
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

There.
I like console gaming. Just sitting back, relaxing on the sofa, playing on the big TV. And you just plug it in and don't have to fuck around with copy protection and drivers and shit. But it only works for game concepts that are made for consoles.

But it's funny how consoles have changed games. It's virtually impossible to play a proper FPS on a console, for example, which is why they "dumbed" the mechanics down pretty much. The difference in gameplay between Crysis and Crysis 2 was staggering. And the mouse IS after all the most precise input device you can have. Paired with a keyboard that has, including key combinations, potentially control over more than 100 different actions.

On the other hand, games like GTA are hard to play/less fun to play on PC without a controller.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2014, 02:54 PM   #283
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ I found the same to be true for Star Trek Legacy. I got it for the PC when it came out and I thought it was virtually unplayable with the way they had the keyboard controls set up. I went over to a friend's house who had it on XBox and it worked great there. Hell, I even remember noticing the colored XBox control buttons appearing on the PC screen several times, as if it was originally a console port! I think this was back in the days when console supremacy was on the rise and PC gaming was starting to wain. Now, PC gaming seems to be making a comeback and things may be different.
Old February 5 2014, 05:08 PM   #284
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

I suppose PCs do owe a bit of a debt to consoles. I find a lot of games are very enjoyable on the PC with an Xbox 360 controller. A game like Dark Souls isn't really playable any other way (although that's less a limitation of the mouse/keyboard combo and more an indictment of DS' absolutely awful implementation.)
Old February 5 2014, 07:57 PM   #285
SPCTRE
Infinitely Cloud Powered

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

I suppose PCs do owe a bit of a debt to consoles. I find a lot of games are very enjoyable on the PC with an Xbox 360 controller. A game like Dark Souls isn't really playable any other way (although that's less a limitation of the mouse/keyboard combo and more an indictment of DS' absolutely awful implementation.)
Definitely.

Both sides of the hardware spectrum (now that there are only two, with Arcades having gone the way of the dodo) owe each other all kinds of debts, having influenced each other for decades.

As a serious gamer, limiting yourself to one platform for what are basically crazy ideological reasons (I'm not talking about financial/budgetary concerns, that's completely different) is FUCKING STUPID.

I should clarify that when I say "serious" gamer, I'm not talking play-for-money, e-sports style serious. What I mean is "dedicated". With a certain love for the medium.