RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 347
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 13 2013, 01:17 PM   #1
jimcat
Lieutenant

Starlog Magazine

Dear all,
Once again, I'm stumped as to which forum to post this in. No-one seems to have posted the link before, even if I'm the last to find it, so:

http://archive.org/details/starlogmagazine

is a link to the Internet Archive's scans of the first 224 issues of "Starlog" magazine. I've only had time for a quick look so far, but the general quality of the scans seems fairly good, it seems to be legal, and it's free!
This is my big chance to track down all those issues I regret throwing out years ago, and finding that they weren't that great anyway...

Best wishes

Timon
Old June 13 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Starlog Magazine

I wish I could find the Starlog magazine special they made for Star Trek II.
Old June 13 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
I wish I could find the Starlog magazine special they made for Star Trek II.
Its available on eBay (and probably many other places as well).
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 02:31 PM   #4
bbailey861
Admiral

A great archived and downloadable find. Thanks.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They've got a lot of the Tom Corbett books. Daymn.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Redfern
Commodore

Suu-weeeeet!

I acquired the first issue when my childhood buddy Kyle gave me his copy. (He partially colored the Filmation face drawings in the glossy paper center section.) I started to collect the mag with issue 6 and later I back ordered the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th issues to complete my collection. When my local newstand failed to supply the occasional issue, I opted for the mail delivered subscription. I faithfully purchased copies until the mid hundreds. Long before that point the magazine had become little more than a promotional vehicle for upcoming productions whereas I preferred "after the fact" in depth retrospectives. (Cinefantastique was more my angle, but prohibitively expensive.)

Thanks for the link!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 03:30 PM   #7
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Thanks!
Old June 13 2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

I just discovered this archive yesterday (the Starlog collection, not archive.org). It's great!

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:38 PM   #9
J.T.B.
Commodore

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
They've got a lot of the Tom Corbett books. Daymn.
Also a bunch of the radio shows, brought to you by Kellogg's Pep, the spaceman's breakfast cereal!
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Tom
Rear Admiral

I still have a bunch of old issues from the 80's put away.
Old June 13 2013, 07:01 PM   #11
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

The memories! I have much of the early years up to 1986 in storage, so it has been a long tome since browsing the magazine, and its style. If you look at issues 1 - 15, you really get a sense of how different filmed sci-fi was back in the day.

Thanks for the link, jimcat!
Old June 13 2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
The memories! I have much of the early years up to 1986 in storage, so it has been a long tome since browsing the magazine, and its style. If you look at issues 1 - 15, you really get a sense of how different filmed sci-fi was back in the day.

Thanks for the link, jimcat!
Well said. As a boy, I first began subscribing to Starlog back in '78 after seeing the Robby the Robot television commercial. I began my subscription with issue#13 and purchased the first twelve back issues with my paper route money. Great memories and a great magazine that I still have stored in a box too. I also subscribed into the '80s.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:04 PM   #13
M
Vice Admiral

Discovered this a few months ago. I have been downloading all issues covering the premiere of Deep Space Nine, but didn't find time yet to actually read them.

It's funny how many times they chose to heavily and enthusiasticly feature a show, only to stop when said show was cancelled. Happened with Time Trax, which got covered for three or four months with interviews, specials etc., but then it got cancelled. Same with Space Rangers, Earth 2 and Space Police. In insight, it's funny to see how often they were "wrong" about a show being the next hit. But then again, what is a magazine going to do?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

jimcat wrote: View Post
Dear all,
Once again, I'm stumped as to which forum to post this in. No-one seems to have posted the link before, even if I'm the last to find it, so:

http://archive.org/details/starlogmagazine

is a link to the Internet Archive's scans of the first 224 issues of "Starlog" magazine. I've only had time for a quick look so far, but the general quality of the scans seems fairly good, it seems to be legal, and it's free!
This is my big chance to track down all those issues I regret throwing out years ago, and finding that they weren't that great anyway...

Best wishes

Timon
Thanks for the link.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:47 PM   #15
BorgusFrat
Lieutenant

Awesome mag, for it's time! I got my first ever fan-made blueprints through them, which led me to discover Star Station Aurora. I'll never forget getting the Excelsior blueprints in the mail- - totally professional! They could of been on store shelves right next to the "official" sets,and they looked awesome on my bookshelf sitting next to the TMP ones.

I can even see the old ad listings in the "Trading Post" with these downloads! Isn't free stuff from the internet GREAT!!!!