RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,914
Posts: 5,478,102
Members: 25,053
Currently online: 481
Newest member: johnclever25

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 22 2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Extrocomp
Captain
 
question about Faces of Fire

The TOS novel Faces of Fire by Michael Jan Friedman describes a conflict between two races of Klingons, the Kamorh'dag (from the northern continent) and the Gevish'rae (from the southern continent). The Kamorh'dag are currently in power and the Gevish'rae are trying to seize power.

Are the Kamorh'dag supposed to be the smooth-headed Klingons and the Gevish'rae the ridge-headed Klingons?

I can't find any description of either group's physical appearance anywhere in the book. We are told that Kruge is a Gevish'rae and that Kahless was a Kamorh'dag. Since this book was written before "Rightful Heir", the writer's idea of Kahless would've been the smooth-headed Kahless from "The Savage Curtain".

Other old novels usually talk about "fusions" and the "Imperial Race" when bringing up the forehead issue, so maybe the Kamorh'dag/Gevish'rae thing is something else entirely.
What do you guys think?
__________________
May swift death come to all enemies of Extrotech!
Extrocomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:20 PM   #2
JohnChod
Captain
 
Location: Buffalo, NY (USA)
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Unless I'm mistaken, this novel pre-dates the retconned explanation for the differing appearance of the Klingons. I still wish they had simply left it alone.
JohnChod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
Are the Kamorh'dag supposed to be the smooth-headed Klingons and the Gevish'rae the ridge-headed Klingons?
I've always figured that was implicitly the intention, but Mike Friedman probably wasn't allowed to make it explicit, just in case later canon came along and handled the ridge issue differently.

But it has always reminded me of the similar Klingon caste/subculture division that I seem to recall reading about in Vonda McIntyre's Search for Spock novelization. I don't remember the names used therein, but I often wondered if Mike originally intended to use those names but had to change them due to the no-continuity policy of the day.

Other old novels usually talk about "fusions" and the "Imperial Race" when bringing up the forehead issue, so maybe the Kamorh'dag/Gevish'rae thing is something else entirely.
That was the version from John M. Ford's The Final Reflection, but as I said, by the time FiF came along in 1992, the novels weren't allowed to reference one another's ideas. Not to mention that by that point, TNG's version of the Klingons had pretty much superseded Ford's anyway.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:49 PM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: question about Faces of Fire

The north/south Klingon thing in FoF was based on Gene Roddenberry's less-than-serious explanation that the bumpy-headed Klingons were "Northern Klingons"
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Well, I guess it's true, then. Lots of planets DO have a North!
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:41 AM   #6
Extrocomp
Captain
 
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Christopher wrote: View Post
But it has always reminded me of the similar Klingon caste/subculture division that I seem to recall reading about in Vonda McIntyre's Search for Spock novelization. I don't remember the names used therein, but I often wondered if Mike originally intended to use those names but had to change them due to the no-continuity policy of the day.
I've just searched through Duty, Honor, Redemption on Amazon.com. The two Klingon groups are the Kumburanya and the Rumaiym. Kruge identifies himself as a Rumaiy. There is no description of the groups, other than the fact that they speak different dialects.
__________________
May swift death come to all enemies of Extrotech!
Extrocomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:50 AM   #7
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: question about Faces of Fire

^Yes, those are the names I was trying to remember. I thought they were fleshed out more (maybe they were on pages not included in Amazon's preview?), but I could be conflating it with Faces of Fire.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Extrocomp
Captain
 
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yes, those are the names I was trying to remember. I thought they were fleshed out more (maybe they were on pages not included in Amazon's preview?), but I could be conflating it with Faces of Fire.
There's a bit more detail in the novel Enterprise: The First Adventure:

She expected nothing better of the Kumburanya. They were the majority group in the Klingon Empire; Kumburan nobles formed the oligarchy, controlled resources and expansion and indulged in discrimination against the Rumaiy minority to which Koronin belonged.

Analyzing Koronin's dress, her physical form, her accent, Spock identified her as a member of the Rumaiy group, a political and ethnic minority of the Klingon home world. The highest class of Rumaiy often veiled themselves in public, and indeed Koronin carried a veil.

That was the version from John M. Ford's The Final Reflection, but as I said, by the time FiF came along in 1992, the novels weren't allowed to reference one another's ideas. Not to mention that by that point, TNG's version of the Klingons had pretty much superseded Ford's anyway.
Actually, the term "Imperial Race" has been used in quite a few novels even after TNG started. How Much For Just The Planet?, The IDIC Epidemic and Rules of Engagement are the ones I found on Google Books. There are probably more that don't have previews.
__________________
May swift death come to all enemies of Extrotech!
Extrocomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
There's a bit more detail in the novel Enterprise: The First Adventure:

She expected nothing better of the Kumburanya. They were the majority group in the Klingon Empire; Kumburan nobles formed the oligarchy, controlled resources and expansion and indulged in discrimination against the Rumaiy minority to which Koronin belonged.

Analyzing Koronin's dress, her physical form, her accent, Spock identified her as a member of the Rumaiy group, a political and ethnic minority of the Klingon home world. The highest class of Rumaiy often veiled themselves in public, and indeed Koronin carried a veil.
Ah, that's what I was remembering.


Actually, the term "Imperial Race" has been used in quite a few novels even after TNG started. How Much For Just The Planet?, The IDIC Epidemic and Rules of Engagement are the ones I found on Google Books. There are probably more that don't have previews.
Yes, but it's not like the Arnold crackdown began the same day TNG premiered. After all, books take a long time to create, and it wasn't until about '89 that Roddenberry decided he needed to take greater control of the tie-ins. So the effects of the crackdown didn't really begin to manifest until mid-1990. Rules of Engagement is the last novel that featured Ford-style Klingons.

Not to mention that TNG's Klingon worldbuilding progressed gradually. You had "Heart of Glory" in early '88 and "A Matter of Honor" in early '89, then "The Emissary" in mid-'89, then "The Bonding" (Ron Moore's debut) in late '89, but the Klingon stuff didn't kick into high gear until "Sins of the Father" in early '90. So it was a while before there was enough Klingon material in TNG to make it clear that Ford's version was no longer viable.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
The highest class of Rumaiy often veiled themselves in public, and indeed Koronin carried a veil.
As did Valkris in ST III. In the footage onscreen, her silver veil is draped around her shoulders, but she is seen wearing it in two (cut from the film) stills featured in the hardcover storybook, IIRC.

Christopher wrote: View Post
it's not like the Arnold crackdown began the same day TNG premiered. After all, books take a long time to create, and it wasn't until about '89 that Roddenberry decided he needed to take greater control of the tie-ins. So the effects of the crackdown didn't really begin to manifest until mid-1990.
Correct. One of Richard's first books was the ST IV novelization (1986), IIRC, which generally have a short turnaround, and he went onto salary as ST Archivist after it was clear that ST IV was a moneyspinner for Paramount. By the 1988 hiatus between Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG, the licenses were frozen. That infamous "memo" was out by early 1989, FASA's license was gone and Pocket's and DC's contracts had been renegotiated under new, tighter terms.

Rules of Engagement is the last novel that featured Ford-style Klingons.
And Naraht the horta. For a looooooong while.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Therin of Andor; January 24 2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Clarified dates
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 03:52 PM   #11
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Extrocomp wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
But it has always reminded me of the similar Klingon caste/subculture division that I seem to recall reading about in Vonda McIntyre's Search for Spock novelization. I don't remember the names used therein, but I often wondered if Mike originally intended to use those names but had to change them due to the no-continuity policy of the day.
I've just searched through Duty, Honor, Redemption on Amazon.com. The two Klingon groups are the Kumburanya and the Rumaiym. Kruge identifies himself as a Rumaiy. There is no description of the groups, other than the fact that they speak different dialects.
Actually it was Maltz, not Kruge.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
By the 1989 hiatus between Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG, that infamous "memo" was out and FASA was gone and Pocket's and DC's contracts had been renegotiated under new, tighter terms.
TNG premiered in 1987. So 1989 would've been the hiatus between seasons 2 and 3.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 10:39 PM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Christopher wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
By the 1989 hiatus between Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG, that infamous "memo" was out and FASA was gone and Pocket's and DC's contracts had been renegotiated under new, tighter terms.
TNG premiered in 1987. So 1989 would've been the hiatus between seasons 2 and 3.
* TNG premiered in Sept 87 and continues into 88

* Last DC TNG mini-series dated July 88; Last TOS Series I comic Nov 88. (Licenses frozen!)

* Season 2 commenced in Nov 88 and into 89.

* Memo issued early 89. The first new ongoing DC TOS and TNG Comics were dated September 89.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 12:10 AM   #14
Extrocomp
Captain
 
Re: question about Faces of Fire

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Actually it was Maltz, not Kruge.
You're right. Kruge got killed on the previous page.
__________________
May swift death come to all enemies of Extrotech!
Extrocomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.