TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old June 30 2013, 11:47 PM   #76
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Stargate Universe Rewatch: Now with teacake

teacake wrote: View Post
Faith: This was interesting. 15 weeks since they left Icarus, it seems a little early to be wanting to give up all chance of stargate travel and settle on another planet. Perhaps the terrible food, leadership conflicts and alien attacks have worn everyone down more that we get to see. Yes the planet feels "safer" right up until the obelisk starts beaming light into space.. that I don't get at all. I would not want to stay there with that unknown. Eleven people? Not enough, and now there are how many left on the planet, 7 or so? This doesn't seem that viable. I find it weird that Chloe wants to stay.

I don't think they all shared that one fellow's belief in benevolent super aliens coming to save them. It does seem to be portrayed as thought they get converted by the planet in some way.

I'm enjoying Brody a lot, he and Park and Volker are a pleasure to listen to.

I don' think the planet necessarily exerted any influence over people, I think it really was the lure of how Paradise-like it appeared, and nobody really thought about how few there were, little to no chance of coupling, lose a few and you lose a large percentage of resources, and then the horrible cold winters that were promised. And on top of that, as you saay, they didn't even really think about all the possible terrible ramifications of their Alien benefactors. It is hard to buy that level of desperation after less than 4 months. It would be more believable if it was a ship-wide decision to want to stay, much better odds of survival with a large group. I would've liked it better if this desperation was shown after more time, or a dilemma for the whole shipload pushing for staying, but, it was better than many first half episodes

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old July 1 2013, 12:12 AM   #77
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Good episode, but Camille trying to take command is becoming slapstick, tme to move on to another drama or another direction for it.
The problem is, she's no Roslin. The viewer has no reason to join Team Wray.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 1 2013, 12:17 AM   #78
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I don' think the planet necessarily exerted any influence over people, I think it really was the lure of how Paradise-like it appeared, and nobody really thought about how few there were, little to no chance of coupling, lose a few and you lose a large percentage of resources, and then the horrible cold winters that were promised. And on top of that, as you saay, they didn't even really think about all the possible terrible ramifications of their Alien benefactors. It is hard to buy that level of desperation after less than 4 months. It would be more believable if it was a ship-wide decision to want to stay, much better odds of survival with a large group. I would've liked it better if this desperation was shown after more time, or a dilemma for the whole shipload pushing for staying, but, it was better than many first half episodes
Oh yeah it was a good episode, despite the decision not really making huge sense. How many stayed in the end?

The thing with the aliens.. I think alien attacks would have been one of the biggest freak outs for the civilians on the ship and the idea that every time they drop out of FTL something horrible could be there would be wearing. But to choose to stay on a planet that is all about aliens is weird.

I bet they did feel hugely better from the sunshine, eating real food, working physically and sleeping well etc..

(Oh and I think any episode that doesn't involve earth visitation is automatically better.. we're getting more of a feel for how far away they are now.)

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 1 2013, 10:32 AM   #79
AJ86
Captain

You have to remember though that this decision came on the heels of the revelation that there are now aliens trying to kill them and take their ship, plus there's also the spiritual element of it. That planet was perfection, yet could not have been native to that star system, couple that with the astronomical odds of them happening upon it by chance, and it must have seemed like it was put there for them.
Old July 1 2013, 04:52 PM   #80
MacLeod
Admiral

^But even if it was put there for them, to what purpose was it a benign reason or a more sinister reason?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 1 2013, 05:14 PM   #81
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^But even if it was put there for them, to what purpose was it a benign reason or a more sinister reason?
Exactly. Someone leaves scrumptious candy laying around for you to find, you shouldn't put it into your mouth until you at least know something about who and why they left it laying there for you

Old July 2 2013, 11:34 AM   #82
AJ86
Captain

You shouldn't, but considering the situation they were in, I can understand why it looked so inviting. As if some sort of higher power were giving them an escape.
Old July 2 2013, 02:54 PM   #83
teacake
Fleet Admiral

It wasn't that inviting, there was no beach! And the weather predictions.. I wouldn't even move to the UK because of the winter, much less a planet with sub zero temperatures for months at a time.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 2 2013, 06:20 PM   #84
MacLeod
Admiral

There is nothing wrong with the British Winter, it's much like the British Spring, Summer and Autumn. Wet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 7 2013, 11:53 AM   #85
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Human: I really enjoyed how we see Rush's mind working in the chair, looking for that breadcrumb trail of meaning in everything until finally the trail itself is clear to him.

The cave in, bleh predictable. If they had never been rescued and had eventually blown up or dug their way out I wonder how they would have survived. Also this planet looks just as good as the perfect paradise planet everyone was tempted by.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 7 2013, 12:51 PM   #86
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Lost: I forgot it takes them a few episodes to get back! The whole time Greer was running towards the Stargate hoping to get there before Eli, Scott and Chloe left I was thinking FIRE YOUR WEAPON! That would get their attention and they wouldn't leave until they found him.

Could have done without the whole Greer back story which is just kind of shitty and cliched. Oh tough guy, had a bad dad etc.. I like Greer just fine, I think he's a very interesting character, and the backstory does nothing to make him more interesting.

Speaking of terrible dads, poor T.J.

Nicely done, the beginning of Chloe's massive brain hiccup. Other than the Greer backstory the drama of trying to connect the team with the ship and Greer being left behind works well. Would be nice not to always interrupt these people with earth stuff.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 8 2013, 02:38 AM   #87
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Human: I really enjoyed how we see Rush's mind working in the chair, looking for that breadcrumb trail of meaning in everything until finally the trail itself is clear to him.

The cave in, bleh predictable. If they had never been rescued and had eventually blown up or dug their way out I wonder how they would have survived. Also this planet looks just as good as the perfect paradise planet everyone was tempted by.
Pretty much "What She Said"

About the only thing I can add is with the lost crew members that's an awful large percentage of their best resources.

Old July 8 2013, 06:44 PM   #88
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Lost: I forgot it takes them a few episodes to get back! The whole time Greer was running towards the Stargate hoping to get there before Eli, Scott and Chloe left I was thinking FIRE YOUR WEAPON! That would get their attention and they wouldn't leave until they found him.

Could have done without the whole Greer back story which is just kind of shitty and cliched. Oh tough guy, had a bad dad etc.. I like Greer just fine, I think he's a very interesting character, and the backstory does nothing to make him more interesting.

Nicely done, the beginning of Chloe's massive brain hiccup. Other than the Greer backstory the drama of trying to connect the team with the ship and Greer being left behind works well. Would be nice not to always interrupt these people with earth stuff.

In first run, the Greer backstory really grated on me, I didn't like him yet at this point, and the backstory had me rolling my eyes "Oh, great, angry Black Man(tm) is justified from having a shitty father and a useless mother that allowed her child to be abused and justified it". However, this time around I really enjoyed it, it does explain alot about him, and the locked in the closet scenes interposed into Greer clawing his way out really went well together. I can't believe his dad drove him to the ghetto and dumped him off, saying it was probably good he didn't have any money in that part of town. Did I miss something, did they actually address why his father was such a poor excuse for a human being and took it out on Greer?

Old July 9 2013, 12:46 AM   #89
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post

In first run, the Greer backstory really grated on me, I didn't like him yet at this point, and the backstory had me rolling my eyes "Oh, great, angry Black Man(tm) is justified from having a shitty father and a useless mother that allowed her child to be abused and justified it". However, this time around I really enjoyed it, it does explain alot about him, and the locked in the closet scenes interposed into Greer clawing his way out really went well together. I can't believe his dad drove him to the ghetto and dumped him off, saying it was probably good he didn't have any money in that part of town. Did I miss something, did they actually address why his father was such a poor excuse for a human being and took it out on Greer?
IIRC they implied that Desert Storm messed up Greer's dad's head.
Old July 9 2013, 01:18 AM   #90
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. The war did it.

No excuses given for the mother though. I have compassion for a woman trapped in such a setting but this was extreme abuse of her child, not just "dad has a bad temper".

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne