Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 12 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Austin 3:16
Commander

Is TAS worth watching in my complete Star Trek marathon?

I have finished watching all of TNG, DS9, and Voy, and I'm almost done with season one in TOS. After TOS, should I include The Animated Series, in your opinion? I've never actually seen any episodes of TAS before, but I've seen all the episodes of all of the other series. Am I really missing anything if I skip TAS? The reason I am asking is cause I heard that TAS isn't canon.

Thanks.
Austin 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 11:25 AM   #2
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: Is TAS worth watching in my complete Star Trek marathon?

Canon schmanon. It was onscreen and Gene got paid.

Watch it, and enjoy the watching.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Portal
Commander

Watching The Animated Series was a most enjoyable experience.
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:20 PM   #4
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Watch and enjoy it. It went where no live action series at the time visually could go.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

You kinda have to. Pretend they're fan film versions of unfilmed actual adventures. An alternative I learned here -- though you would miss the cool art direction/backgrounds is just to listen and pretend they're radio. One thing I liked -- few if any fist fights.
Old June 12 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
The reason I am asking is cause I heard that TAS isn't canon.
I'm amazed that myth still persists. In 1989, Gene Roddenberry issued a memo delineating his view of what was part of the canon. He excluded TAS largely because there were some legal questions over its ownership at the time (since it was a co-production with Filmation, a studio that was going out of business at the time). But Roddenberry died two years later, and once he was no longer the executive producer of the franchise, his definitions of what constituted canon were no longer binding. Ever since, various Trek producers have been inserting references to concepts from TAS, like Kor calling his ship the Klothos in DS9. Heck, the Spock-childhood scenes in the 2009 movie were practically a remake of scenes from "Yesteryear." And StarTrek.com and Memory Alpha include TAS in their "canon-only" reference materials.

So out of the 40 years that TAS has existed, there were only about two years during which it was officially treated as non-canonical. Roddenberry was the only Trek showrunner who ever made a point of excluding it, and he's been gone for nearly 22 years.

Granted, there are some individual episodes of TAS that have been ignored or contradicted by later productions. "The Magicks of Megas-tu" portrays the center of the galaxy as something that can be reached in a short amount of time, which is contradicted by DS9 and VGR (but then, ST V has the same problem). "The Slaver Weapon" portrays Trek history in a way that can't be reconciled with what later series established. But then, there are episodes of the live-action shows that have also been contradicted. "The Alternative Factor" portrays dilithium and antimatter in a way that contradicted what came before as well as being ignored by what came after. VGR: "Fury" made assertions about the difficulty of changing course during warp that were never honored at any time before or since, while "Threshold" was explicitly declared apocryphal by its own writer.

So you can't really talk about an entire series' canon status as a unit. Canon is a mutable thing, continuity-wise. Any long-running canon will retcon or ignore inconvenient ideas or mistakes from its past, but the broad strokes of the series will still be assumed to have happened. Some TAS episodes do need to be taken with a grain of salt, but that doesn't mean the whole isn't worthwhile.

After all, TAS is the one Trek sequel series that was made largely by TOS veterans. D.C. Fontana was effectively its showrunner. About half the episodes were written by veterans of TOS (more than half if you count the ones written by Walter Koenig and director Marc Daniels). It reunited most of the TOS cast and brought back several of its guest stars including Mark Lenard, Roger C. Carmel, and Stanley Adams, as well as giving us new stories about characters like Kor and Koloth (albeit not with the original actors in those cases). It was explicitly designed to be effectively a direct continuation of the original series (which is why it was called simply Star Trek instead of something like, oh, The New Adventures of Star Trek, as per Filmation's usual title convention). And to a fair extent, it succeeded, at least as well as any '70s Saturday morning cartoon possibly could have.

Not to mention that TAS is the only Star Trek television series ever to win a non-technical Emmy Award. Even TNG never achieved that.

So yes, TAS is absolutely worth watching. It features things that no other Trek series can provide. It has its limitations, but it also has many virtues and is a significant part of Trek history.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Mr_Homn
Captain

Totally skippable.
Old June 12 2013, 03:00 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

You should watch it at least once. There's some good stuff in there.
Old June 12 2013, 04:05 PM   #9
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Cannon doesn't (or shouldn't) matter. A Star Trek story is a Star Trek story, no matter where it comes from.

Yes, watch it. You will find it better than anything being made currently. Yes, I know people will disagree with that statement, but I don't give a damn.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:16 PM   #10
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Watch it, enjoy it, feel uncomfortable about finding M'Ress hot, then move on with your life.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

It's incredibly fun.

For me, a lot of the charm is driven by nostalgia (I remember as a kid thinking that TAS was the far superior version of the kinda-boring live-action show), but there are actually some good stories, and it's fun to see a different vision for Trek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Watch it, enjoy it, feel uncomfortable about finding M'Ress hot, then move on with your life.
Misread the last phrase as "move on to your wife."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:24 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

It's definitely worthwhile if you're a fan of the female crew, for it gives Uhura and Chapel more to do than they generally got in TOS -- Uhura even takes the conn once or twice (it's ambiguous the second time). Plus, yes, they do introduce M'Ress as a third recurring crewwoman, but she does the same job as Uhura so it kind of cancels out. TAS also introduced the first female security guards in Trek history.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Relayer1
Commodore

If you plan on rewatching everything again, by all means don't bother and just include it next time.

If you don't plan on rewatching everything again, well, you've only got one chance to make it a COMPLETE rewatch...
Old June 12 2013, 04:56 PM   #15
CaptPapa
Commander

I think TAS is a must see!

And among other ground that's broken by the series, is the first use of the holodeck in Once Upon A Planet.

The episode Yesteryear is a classic and among my personal top 10 all-time.