MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 29 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
I am not Spock
Commodore

Does Reginald Barclay have social anxiety disorder and/or Aspergers?

I was just watching 'Hollow Pursuits' (I know, I know, an episode often maligned by fans). Brocolli strikes me as having many of the symptoms of these conditions (not picking, I have Aspergers myself). I wonder if he was written with this in mind, or not.

He kind of reminds me of an anti-Mary Sue character. Like he represents some of us, the viewers, the antisocial geeky, socially awkward types.
Old May 29 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile
Re: Does Reginald Barclay have social anxiety disorder and/or Asperger

That is probably true. I'm not sure if they ever gave Reg a specific social disorder though, or if they just used him as a "blank slate" to have whichever one fits his role in the episode.
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Mojochi
Commodore

social anxiety, self esteem issues, phobias, sure. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying he has a clinical condition though
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:21 AM   #4
Salinga
Captain

I think, the character of Barcley is based on some symptoms of the Schizoid personality disorder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoi...ality_disorder
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 11:06 AM   #5
I am not Spock
Commodore

I found him a breath of fresh air. It showed that everyone in the 24th century is not a perfect Mary Sue, and a bundle of charisma and confidence. Although he is very gifted in his field, obviously.
Old May 30 2013, 11:38 AM   #6
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
I was just watching 'Hollow Pursuits' (I know, I know, an episode often maligned by fans).
The irony!

Seriously, it's maligned more than the average episode is maligned? I hadn't noticed. It's not in my top ten or anything, but it's certainly a pretty good episode. And, I got some huge laughs out of it.

Brocolli strikes me as having many of the symptoms of these conditions (not picking, I have Aspergers myself). I wonder if he was written with this in mind, or not.
I doubt it. It would have been mentioned, if he'd had an untreatable condition. Ergo, if he had any such condition, it was treated, and he's now asymptomatic on the shows, to the best ability of 24th century medicine, if not completely cured.
Old May 30 2013, 12:33 PM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral

Or perhaps he is like many of us today. Who just lean towards being shy and don't do well in social situations. Yet don't have any disorders.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
sonak
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Or perhaps he is like many of us today. Who just lean towards being shy and don't do well in social situations. Yet don't have any disorders.

what he had seemed to go beyond typical shyness, though. He was openly anxious and uncomfortable in social situations, not merely quiet or withdrawn. I'd say he had SAD. Great character, by the way.
Old May 30 2013, 10:52 PM   #9
I am not Spock
Commodore

sonak wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post

what he had seemed to go beyond typical shyness, though. He was openly anxious and uncomfortable in social situations, not merely quiet or withdrawn. I'd say he had SAD. Great character, by the way.
Yeah. There's more to him than just being shy. I can relate quite a bit to him, and I have Asperger syndrome, except I am not an engineering genius by any means. I don't think he was explicitly written with any particular condition in mind, but he's definitely neurotic, and socially withdrawn.

It was refreshing to see a person in the 24th C, who is not perfect, and suffers from some very real social phobias. I like his character, too
Old June 1 2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

He was one of my favorite characters too. Seeing Hallow Pursuits again recently I was shocked how badly the other characters treat him. In fact it is the few times we the crew have their own flaws. There treatment of him is unfortunately all too human.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 09:59 PM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Social anxiety disorder, yes. Aspergers, absolutely not.

It's possible in 24th century personality disorders are now just accepted as 'Who the person is' and not categorized disorders.

If humanity has progressed so much, it's probably progressed beyond pathologizing every personality trait which isn't adaptive to the norm, and started just accepting people for who they are.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2013, 10:11 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

I can certainly empathise with the Character of Barclay, Yes I lean towards being shy, don't do great in social situations etc...
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old June 1 2013, 10:21 PM   #13
sonak
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Social anxiety disorder, yes. Aspergers, absolutely not.

It's possible in 24th century personality disorders are now just accepted as 'Who the person is' and not categorized disorders.

If humanity has progressed so much, it's probably progressed beyond pathologizing every personality trait which isn't adaptive to the norm, and started just accepting people for who they are.

social anxiety disorder isn't characterized as a disorder because it's different from the norm, it's characterized as such because it significantly disrupts a person's social interactions, and has a negative impact on their life as far as dating, friends, employment, etc.

Introvert is a personality type, but "socially anxious" is not, because the person with SAD often doesn't WANT the anxiety associated with typical social interactions.
Old June 1 2013, 10:34 PM   #14
MacLeod
Admiral

True most people who are socially anxious don't want to be, but it can be a bit of a vicious cricle. When they try to do something about and it doesn't go right it just fuels their anxeity. But no doubt manypeople who have social anxeity are introverts.

I've heard/read it said we live in an extrovert world, perhaps part of the issue doesn't lie with those who have social anxeity or are introverts, but with the extroverts or the ones that don't suffer from social anxeity who think everyone should do well in social situations.
Old June 2 2013, 05:45 AM   #15
JRoss
Captain

Also an Aspie. Don't see him as autistic but SAD for sure.