Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 13 2013, 12:21 PM   #46
starburst
Fleet Captain

Re: Why was the Enterprise.. [Spoilers]

I didnt have a problem with the Enterprise underwater, I was more concerned about the tall drop into the ocean and the swim to the Enterprise... sturdy fellas in the 23rd Century!

Werent Aqua shuttles featured in an episode of TAS? I actually like to think that the Shuttle could be rigged to run for a short time underwater just like the Puddle Jumpers in Stargate Atlantis.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 12:46 PM   #47
newtontomato539
Commander

Well, I like the Star Fleet Universe: Prime Directive RPG and I'm not like that.
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:01 PM   #48
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Or if you assume Sulu knows what he's talking about and/or isn't just eyeballing the distance without really measuring it.

E.g. "He just jumped, like, thirty meters!"
They were using sensors to locate him, not eyeballed guesstimates.
Were they using sensors to measure -- down to the centimeter -- the exact distance of his jump?

Better question: if you were tracking Khan though, say, the optics pod of a Predator drone, would you even be able to tell with any accuracy how far that jump really was?
If we're expected to believe the Narada was scanned to the degree that technology advanced by leaps and bounds, then I'm sure measuring (and displaying) the position of a person they're tracking is quite doable.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:28 PM   #49
throwback
Captain

I read that the jump by Kirk and McCoy would have severely injured them or killed them. They would have either landed into the rocks, or they would jumped into the equivalent of a liquid concrete. That is real world realism.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 11:51 PM   #50
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

They were using sensors to locate him, not eyeballed guesstimates.
Were they using sensors to measure -- down to the centimeter -- the exact distance of his jump?

Better question: if you were tracking Khan though, say, the optics pod of a Predator drone, would you even be able to tell with any accuracy how far that jump really was?
If we're expected to believe the Narada was scanned to the degree that technology advanced by leaps and bounds...
Considering they didn't actually build their own Narada, this point is irrelevant. Do you need to know down to the exact meter how big the Narada is to know that it's freaking huge?

I'm sure measuring (and displaying) the position of a person they're tracking is quite doable.
Sure. But that's a far cry from measuring the exact distance of his jump. If they could track Khan that accurately they would have been able to beam him up without Spock having to chase him across the city.
Old June 16 2013, 01:38 AM   #51
The Keeper
Commodore

throwback wrote: View Post
I read that the jump by Kirk and McCoy would have severely injured them or killed them. They would have either landed into the rocks, or they would jumped into the equivalent of a liquid concrete. That is real world realism.
Do we know for sure gravity on Nibiru equals force enough to make a fall from that height lethal?

Memory Alpha says Nibiru is class M (though I don't recall that being stated in the film,?) One aspect of a class M planet though...

The gravity on these worlds was Earth normal. The gravity might be slightly less or slightly more. (TOS: "The Cage"; TAS: "The Eye of the Beholder")
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Class_M
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 07:53 AM   #52
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHkyMh9FW4
Old June 17 2013, 12:07 AM   #53
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Memory Alpha says Nibiru is class M (though I don't recall that being stated in the film,?)
I'm pretty sure that was in the caption giving the planet's name.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 12:49 AM   #54
The Keeper
Commodore

ATimson wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
Memory Alpha says Nibiru is class M (though I don't recall that being stated in the film,?)
I'm pretty sure that was in the caption giving the planet's name.
Ah yes, of course. Thank you.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 03:22 AM   #55
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

NCC-1701-B wrote: View Post
Yeah, the worst part is the way it flew through the air in the same way it would in space, it should have had massive amounts of thrust coming from the thrusters with big plumes of smoke and it should have gone up more vertically aiming itself up to space as it goes. I know we saw voyager fly through San Francisco bay in the same way, but that's a much smaller ship (apparently) and a few hundred years in the future.
You're applying the laws of physics to a machine designed to break the laws of physics.
Old June 22 2013, 08:44 PM   #56
publiusr
Commodore

At least we know how it lifted off in the original, and what that would have looked like.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote