Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 17 2013, 03:04 AM   #1381
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

There's not going to be a Director's Cut? I'm surprised; most of Snyder's movies get a Director's Cut.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:43 AM   #1382
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm a firm believer in Superman being the idealistic apple pie ideal, and that's why I also believe the killing Zod story is an important part of his character. He was placed in an impossible situation and forced to take a life(s) and that action haunted him for a long time, even causing him to develop a split personality and exile himself into space. It's a good arc for him to go through.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 06:52 AM   #1383
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Thats even worse. If it was a split second decision made in desperation, it would still be stupid but more understandable. If he thought it through on his own and decided to kill him, he's as bad as Zod. If he can justify one murder, then he can justify being The Punisher with super powers if he wants. If he's not trying to be better than the people he fights, then there is no reason not to kill everyone he stops. He's also no longer a hero, he's a murderous vigilante. Its not like he can be arrested, the MoS universe doesn't have a way to stop him, especially now that there is no one to recreate the kryptonian atmosphere. So, he's free to kill whoever he wants.
I spent this whole day watching Man of Steel. I've now seen it 3 times in a row today.

The scene killing Zod definitely comes across as a moment of desperation. Super got the upper hand for a second with his choke hold. He might not get another chance. Zod is making it absolutely clear that he will just keep on killing people.

As shown here, I really don't see what other alternative Superman had. He didn't want to, but was forced into a corner and did the only thing he could to stop Zod permanently.

As a side note, the music is growing on me, but I know what it's missing. It really should have had a slight nod in it with the original John Williams fanfare in it, and I know exactly where it would fit. I'm thinking of making my own edit and see if I can mix a decent version of my idea.
Old November 17 2013, 08:38 AM   #1384
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

As results from this thread, the posters who dislike 'man of steel' do so due to veiled 'the movie raped my childhood' type arguments:
-they want the movie to be a traditional fairy-tale where Superman never has to face no-win situations (that almost invariably come to pass in crisis - wars, catastrophes, etc - in the real world), where he can always save the day while making sure no puppy has a scratch on him;
-they reproach Superman that he failed to be perfect, by having help from his father for example (despite his father being far more knowledgeable about the threat Earth faced);
-they dislike the Superman costume because it has no traditional external panties;
etc

Overall, unconvincing - at least if one has no deep attachment/nostalgia for vintage Superman comics, etc.
Old November 17 2013, 08:46 AM   #1385
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Overall, unconvincing - at least if one has no deep attachment/nostalgia for vintage Superman comics, etc
I think the heaviest complaints seem to be from the group with that deep attachment to the older superman stuff.

My first experience of Superman has always been the Donner movie. And I like the character a lot, but I'm not stuck on a specific version of it.

I enjoyed Superboy and Lois & Clark, both which did different enough takes on the character compared to the iconic Chris Reeve take.

And I enjoyed the movie, but I now realize that it was so dizzyingly packed with stuff that it required more than one viewing to let it suck in.

I thought it was worse than Green Lantern, but now I think it's better, and looking forward to the next one.
Old November 17 2013, 10:21 AM   #1386
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm a firm believer in Superman being the idealistic apple pie ideal, and that's why I also believe the killing Zod story is an important part of his character. He was placed in an impossible situation and forced to take a life(s) and that action haunted him for a long time, even causing him to develop a split personality and exile himself into space. It's a good arc for him to go through.
Right at the BEGINNING of being Superman? The guy killed someone on his very first day on the job.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 10:27 AM   #1387
Fearless
Commodore

Shit happens.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 01:07 PM   #1388
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I thought it was worse than Green Lantern, but now I think it's better
Now that's damning it with faint praise....
Old November 17 2013, 02:12 PM   #1389
DWF
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Right at the BEGINNING of being Superman? The guy killed someone on his very first day on the job.
He also saved a planet.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 02:32 PM   #1390
USS Firefly
Commander

Wow I haven't read all the comments yet, so sorry if this is already been brought up.
But I don't really get all the fuss about Superman killing Zod in MOS, because Superman was responsible for the death of 3 Kryptonians in Superman 2.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 02:59 PM   #1391
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Who says they died?

...And if they did, he only killed one of them. Non "killed" himself and Lois "killed" Ursa.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:21 PM   #1392
USS Firefly
Commander

Well where would the Kryptonians stay?
And why throw Zod in a pit and not bring him to jail because he no longer has super powers?
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:24 PM   #1393
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Both good questions, but neither one proves they were killed.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 04:29 PM   #1394
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
As results from this thread, the posters who dislike 'man of steel' do so due to veiled 'the movie raped my childhood' type arguments:
-they want the movie to be a traditional fairy-tale where Superman never has to face no-win situations (that almost invariably come to pass in crisis - wars, catastrophes, etc - in the real world), where he can always save the day while making sure no puppy has a scratch on him;
-they reproach Superman that he failed to be perfect, by having help from his father for example (despite his father being far more knowledgeable about the threat Earth faced);
-they dislike the Superman costume because it has no traditional external panties;
etc

Overall, unconvincing - at least if one has no deep attachment/nostalgia for vintage Superman comics, etc.
I had no problem at all with the fact that Clark killed Zod. I would have been annoyed if he hadn't. But Man of Steel was without hyperbole one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
Old November 17 2013, 04:40 PM   #1395
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I spent this whole day watching Man of Steel. I've now seen it 3 times in a row today.

As a side note, the music is growing on me, but I know what it's missing. It really should have had a slight nod in it with the original John Williams fanfare in it.
I envy your fortitude. I couldn't sit through that forty year long fight scene three times in one day. I bought the DVD Thursday, and have yet to watch it.

As for the music, it was fine for Batman, but too dark for Superman (not that I didn't enjoy it, I just don't think it fits with Superman). On the other hand, I'm glad they didn't reuse the John Williams music for this movie. That was one of the things I disliked about Superman Returns. Each new version of Superman should have it's own musical identity. So, while I agree that this films music should have been brighter, it didn't need the John Williams theme.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote