RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,743
Posts: 5,215,799
Members: 24,214
Currently online: 768
Newest member: davidm

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 14 2013, 09:02 PM   #1321
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

sojourner wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I didn't hate like I thought I would
I am shocked! Shocked! to learn that preconceived notions didn't stand up to experience!
To be fair, I may not hate it, but I didn't like it. It was, like I said, fairly mediocre, but I could see it maybe being the foundation for a decent Batman/Superman movie, depending on if Batman is done well and if Superman loses some angst and gets some personality.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:23 PM   #1322
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

For me, this movie was much different than I expected.

The beginning on Krypton was full on Fantasy, wasn't expecting that at all. And then, all the flipping back and forth through Clark's pre-Superman life was confusing, I would've preferred it more linear.

The ending, yea, it made the movie much longer than it needed to be, I think the movie would've been better if it had a bit shorter.

I really enjoyed Amy Adams as Lois, I thought she was great.

I think Cavill did a really good job with Superman/Clark as well. He played a wide range, and I like where he ended up at, and think that's a great place to have him for the next movie

Yea, Johnathon allowing himself to get sucked up in the Tornado was pretty stupid, it really didn't seem to me there was any danger of Clark exposing himself by saving his Dad.

I didn't watch the movie as closely as I could have, so, I'm not ready to decide if I really liked or just liked some parts of it, I'll have to watch it again when I have more time to devote exclusively to it, but, I definitely didn't hate or even dislike it, just not sure if it's a B or a C in my book. Definitely better than a D for me, though
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 12:58 AM   #1323
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Skywalker wrote: View Post
But when I went and looked it up apparently that wasn't the first instance of Metropolis being located in or near Kansas.
I'm not aware of such an instance. It's more a matter of the tail wagging the dog on Smallville.

In the Silver/Bronze-Age comics, Metropolis was assumed to be an East Coast city a la New York, and Smallville was supposed to be a rural town in the same vicinity (like upstate New York).

In the Donner film, Metropolis was an obvious stand-in for New York, complete with several recognizable New York landmarks. But that film put Smallville in Kansas--to my knowledge, the first source to do so.

The 1986 Byrne reboot followed suit in the comics, putting Smallville in Kansas. Metropolis remained as East Coast city.

The TV show Smallville kept Smallville in Kansas, but decided that they still wanted it to be near Metropolis...so they moved Metropolis to Kansas!
__________________
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 01:42 AM   #1324
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
But when I went and looked it up apparently that wasn't the first instance of Metropolis being located in or near Kansas.
I'm not aware of such an instance. It's more a matter of the tail wagging the dog on Smallville.
Yeah, nevermind. I checked again and it looks like I'd misread it earlier.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 04:41 AM   #1325
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Didn't the 90s Superman Animated Series put Metropolis on the Great Lakes?
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 05:34 AM   #1326
AllStarEntprise
Captain
 
AllStarEntprise's Avatar
 
Location: Galactica Actual
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

^Metropolis is usually put in near Illinois, in the Chicago area or where NYC should be.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 05:54 AM   #1327
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Zod's death was stupid. Clark should have been able to physically move Zod's body from the way he was holding him, or at least Zod's head.
Yup. Instead of giving us a really compelling scene, in which, say, the Jor-El hologram tells Clark he must use lethal force against Zod, and have Clark have to deal with that idea before the big battle, a totally manufactured moment is just dropped in at the end there, because interesting dialogue scenes are for pansies, I guess. Besides, can't Zod move his eyeballs while in the headlock?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 06:13 AM   #1328
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

I know it's a small thing, but I'm a real stickler for continuity and shot consistency, but when he kills Zod, the director of the film totally forgets why: the family he saved is missing from every subsequent shot. There's not even them sighing relief, or reacting, or even being anywhere. Sure, they may just be a generic family, but they don't know that.

Just to compare: when the NS4 saved Dell Spooner instead of the little girl in I, Robot, the director and editors were smart enough to add a shot of the little girl and her vehicle sinking further.
__________________
97X... BAM! THE FUTURE OF ROCK AND ROLL...
Flying Spaghetti Monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 11:42 AM   #1329
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
^Metropolis is usually put in near Illinois, in the Chicago area or where NYC should be.
The only Illinois connection that I'm aware of is that in the real world, there's a small town in IL named Metropolis that makes a big deal about being Superman's home.

If the animated series put Metropolis on the Great Lakes, that's another first as far as I know, not a "usually".
__________________
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 12:16 PM   #1330
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Now the script of Man of Steel... Christopher brought up a point that if you just read a transcript, you would not know what was going on at the end battle of the film.
I'm sorry, but of all of his complaints that has go to be the weakest of the bunch.

Movies are visual medium, as are comic books. Telling a story without dialogue is perfectly reasonable. We used to have these things called silent movies. Ring a bell?

Even more recently we've had movies like Castaway where there is very little dialogue for long stretches. Going by Christopher's complaint you'd have no idea what was going on there either if you just went by a direct transcript, but unless you are blind you would have known exactly what was going on.

I get that a lot of people weren't fond of the movie, and that's their right, but complaining that you wouldn't know what's going on in a movie based solely on a direct transcript is a pretty weak complaint.
That it was a complaint of his wasn't even part of my question. I'm just wondering how detailed the script was.
Had anyone asked Greg Cox?
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 08:18 PM   #1331
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Gaith wrote: View Post
Yup. Instead of giving us a really compelling scene, in which, say, the Jor-El hologram tells Clark he must use lethal force against Zod, and have Clark have to deal with that idea before the big battle, a totally manufactured moment is just dropped in at the end there, because interesting dialogue scenes are for pansies, I guess. Besides, can't Zod move his eyeballs while in the headlock?
Yes, already. Zod could have moved his eyes, but the movie made it pretty clear that he was only threatening to kill the family so Superman would kill him instead. Since Krypton had been destroyed for good and his programming gave him no other purpose or reason to live. Which is what he tells Superman. And why he threatens to continue killing until he is stopped.

Not sure how much clearer they could have spelled things out.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 08:37 PM   #1332
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

davejames wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
Yup. Instead of giving us a really compelling scene, in which, say, the Jor-El hologram tells Clark he must use lethal force against Zod, and have Clark have to deal with that idea before the big battle, a totally manufactured moment is just dropped in at the end there, because interesting dialogue scenes are for pansies, I guess. Besides, can't Zod move his eyeballs while in the headlock?
Yes, already. Zod could have moved his eyes, but the movie made it pretty clear that he was only threatening to kill the family so Superman would kill him instead. Since Krypton had been destroyed for good and his programming gave him no other purpose or reason to live. Which is what he tells Superman. And why he threatens to continue killing until he is stopped.

Not sure how much clearer they could have spelled things out.
Pretty much. I really fail to see where any confusion lies about this moment in the film. Zod wants Kal to kill him.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 09:00 PM   #1333
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

With all of the mass destruction Zod and his minions caused and with Zod acting in a manner which said "he will not stop until he achieves his goals" and his verbal threat to Kal-El that this will end in the death of one of them...Superman really had no choice but to kill him. It was the only way he could be stopped.

Also, I was under the impression that in Superman II that Zod was killed when Superman threw him into the pit after he crushed his hand.

I had no problem with Superman killing Zod.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 09:36 PM   #1334
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

I know why Zod was doing it, but Superman could have moved Zod's head/wqhole away from the family without killing him. It wasn't an all or nothing thing, he was holding Zod tight enough that moving Zod's whole body shouldn't have been an issue. It may have given Zod the chance to break out and continue fighting, but I'm pretty sure at that point Superman could have taken him out without killing him. I might give Clark slack if they had shown more than just a hammy scream over Zod's death. Maybe, like someone else said, the should have had Jor-El bring up the possibility, and then have Clark think about it. Even then it probably wouldn't have been justified, but atleast it would have set up Clark eventually being haunted by what he did and realizing that he didn't have to do it, and then he'd vow to never do it again. Knowing the people behind this movie though, half of the next movie will probably be spent "justifying" what Superman did.

Honestly, the best way out of this would to have been not writing it. Its exactly the same as if Goyer had written the end of TDK Rises with Batman grabbing a pistol and shooting Bane in the head because "he had too". I honestly don't think there was ever any way to write a scene where superman had to kill Zod, or would be justified with doing it. They attempted to do that, but it didn't feel like it was his only choice at all. I think the big problem is having the next scene immediately after the death be confronting the general. They have Clark do little but angst and fight the entire movie, but we don't see any emotional scenes of him murdering a guy outside of the stupid scream right after he did it. Maybe they'll handle it in the sequel, but at this point I'd rather just skip to him being over it, and maybe having him lighten up a bit. Have him be happy in his role, put some brighter colors in the costume and just the world in general, and develop him more as a person and show some personality. Basically, make it a more hopeful movie/character. If they did that, I wouldn't really care if they glossed over Zod's death.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 10:49 PM   #1335
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I know why Zod was doing it, but Superman could have moved Zod's head/wqhole away from the family without killing him. It wasn't an all or nothing thing, he was holding Zod tight enough that moving Zod's whole body shouldn't have been an issue. It may have given Zod the chance to break out and continue fighting, but I'm pretty sure at that point Superman could have taken him out without killing him. I might give Clark slack if they had shown more than just a hammy scream over Zod's death. Maybe, like someone else said, the should have had Jor-El bring up the possibility, and then have Clark think about it. Even then it probably wouldn't have been justified, but atleast it would have set up Clark eventually being haunted by what he did and realizing that he didn't have to do it, and then he'd vow to never do it again. Knowing the people behind this movie though, half of the next movie will probably be spent "justifying" what Superman did.

Honestly, the best way out of this would to have been not writing it. Its exactly the same as if Goyer had written the end of TDK Rises with Batman grabbing a pistol and shooting Bane in the head because "he had too". I honestly don't think there was ever any way to write a scene where superman had to kill Zod, or would be justified with doing it. They attempted to do that, but it didn't feel like it was his only choice at all. I think the big problem is having the next scene immediately after the death be confronting the general. They have Clark do little but angst and fight the entire movie, but we don't see any emotional scenes of him murdering a guy outside of the stupid scream right after he did it. Maybe they'll handle it in the sequel, but at this point I'd rather just skip to him being over it, and maybe having him lighten up a bit. Have him be happy in his role, put some brighter colors in the costume and just the world in general, and develop him more as a person and show some personality. Basically, make it a more hopeful movie/character. If they did that, I wouldn't really care if they glossed over Zod's death.
Sure they could have written a more traditional scene where Superman stops Zod without killing him, I like the fact they they took a different route and did something unexpected. I don't see Superman's reaction to killing Zod as being hammy. I thought it was good acting and emotional.

Or Superman could have ambiguously just thrown him into a pit of mist and clouds like in Superman II.

I love that movie, but come on! That scene doesn't bother me it is just ironic that people complain that Superman kills Zod in this movie and yet it is implied that he killed him in Superman II but because it is shown in such a "G" rated manner nobody bats an eye.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.