MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13 2013, 06:29 PM   #1291
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Despite how much I like Man of Steel I still think my favourite Superman moment is from Superman Returns when he rescues the space shuttle and plane from crashing. The first thing I thought of when I saw that was the space plane scene from John Byrne's Man of Steel mini-series.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 06:29 PM   #1292
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Personally, I thought the best damn scene in Man of Steel was when he caught that soldier and asked if he was ok and that was in the damn trailer.
I liked when he saved the oil workers.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 06:51 PM   #1293
Skywalker
Admiral

I do think the end with Superman destroying the UAV, Clark talking with Martha and then getting his job at the Daily Planet, was all meant to take place at least a couple of months after the battle in Metropolis. The area around the Daily Planet building was just so devastated that I can't imagine everyone being back at work and joking around with each other just a few days later. But the filmmakers could have done a better job of showing us the passage of time. We didn't need a montage of Superman helping to clean up Metropolis, but doing something to make the timeline more clear probably would have cut down on a lot of the confusion/criticism the ending generated.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 07:10 PM   #1294
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

I like Superman, I think the story can work on cinmea again and maybe needs to be modernized but this was the wrong way to do the movie
Dream wrote: View Post

honest trailer

TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 07:20 PM   #1295
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Despite how much I like Man of Steel I still think my favourite Superman moment is from Superman Returns when he rescues the space shuttle and plane from crashing. The first thing I thought of when I saw that was the space plane scene from John Byrne's Man of Steel mini-series.
I agree. I've DVR'd it and the kids and I have watched it many times.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Personally, I thought the best damn scene in Man of Steel was when he caught that soldier and asked if he was ok and that was in the damn trailer.
I enjoyed that as well, but he wasn't in the suit and it lacked that for a Superman moment for me.
Old November 13 2013, 07:26 PM   #1296
davejames
Vice Admiral

Just a simple establishing shot of the city from above, showing construction crews working on buildings or cleaning up debris, would have been enough afterward. No need for a montage or anything.

As for the Avengers comparison, I think what Snyder was getting at was that MOS was trying to take the alien attack a lot more seriously than the one in Avengers, and not give you the sense afterwards that somehow magically only a handful of people ever died throughout the whole thing.

The feeling at the end (at least before the jump ahead in time) is much more somber and heavy, as you would expect it to be. Not fun and jokey with everyone going out for shawarma afterwards.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 07:50 PM   #1297
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

When I think of the deleted scenes from Avengers - the ones where the dead civilians and the killing of civilians were shown - that comparison...well. The shawarma scene had the Avengers all looking dead-tired at that dinner table for reasons.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 08:31 PM   #1298
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
When I think of the deleted scenes from Avengers - the ones where the dead civilians and the killing of civilians were shown - that comparison...well. The shawarma scene had the Avengers all looking dead-tired at that dinner table for reasons.
Heck, originally, the film was supposed to start with the aftermath of the battle in New York, with officials wanting to see Nick Fury's head roll. Just like in the real world, the Avengers weren't considered heroes, they were blamed for the destruction. And the deleted scenes show a lot of the civilian's perspectives of the battle. So from Joss Whedon's point of view, it was ALL about the disaster and how the world dealt with it. So Snyder's remark is pretty much ill-informed.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 08:43 PM   #1299
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I enjoyed that as well, but he wasn't in the suit and it lacked that for a Superman moment for me.
I actually liked that he wasn't in the suit. Aside from Smallville, we've really never gotten to seen Clark do his thing before he became Superman. I always liked the idea that he was a world traveller helping people out wherever he was and was happy to see that aspect of his life on screen.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 10:31 PM   #1300
davejames
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Heck, originally, the film was supposed to start with the aftermath of the battle in New York, with officials wanting to see Nick Fury's head roll. Just like in the real world, the Avengers weren't considered heroes, they were blamed for the destruction. And the deleted scenes show a lot of the civilian's perspectives of the battle. So from Joss Whedon's point of view, it was ALL about the disaster and how the world dealt with it. So Snyder's remark is pretty much ill-informed.
Well sure, maybe they had all that cool and interesting stuff in the deleted scenes. But I'm talking about the theatrical release that everyone actually saw.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 11:55 PM   #1301
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
...and if a building collapsed in The Avengers, I don't recall it.

*pulls out Avengers Blu-Ray (as if I needed an excuse...)*

At 2:01:16, right inbetween Widow and Selvig discovering Loki's scepter and Stark asking J.A.R.V.I.S. if he is familiar with the tale of Jonah. You see a Leviathan plow through a building while chasing Thor and you see the building begin to collapse, but the scene cuts away before it collapses completely.
Old November 14 2013, 01:01 AM   #1302
Mr Light
Admiral

Surely the moment the alien ship appeared approaching Metropolis everybody started evacuating the buildings. I watched it again last night and I didn't see signs of anyone IN the buildings. When Supes and Zod crash through them they're empty. I *did* see streets full of cars though.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 01:14 AM   #1303
JD
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The movie was fine, but

Snyder's addressed the criticism before, claiming the implied massive casualties of the Metropolis sequence were meant to give the film a "mythological" feel, and to give American audiences a sense of the power of the myths of ancient Greece, which were used to "answer unanswerable questions about death and violence."
that's just a pile of bullshit.

When the topic came up at the fan event, though, he took a different path, first offering his own estimate of the Metropolis body count, and then claiming that another superhero hit -- Joss Whedon's The Avengers -- was less sensitive about its city-destroying violence than Man of Steel.
“Probably 5,000 people [(died from the Metropolis attack]. For me, that was part of it. No, there’s real consequences … Not to compare, but if you look at ‘The Avengers,’ they trash the city and nobody thinks about how many people are dying.” Snyder said. "There’s a sadness at the end of the movie ['Man of Steel']. That’s a thing that weighs on Superman.”
That's an even bigger pile of bullshit. First, Man of Steel ends in the Daily Planet and everyone acts like nothing at all happened. Second, Avengers was a lot more concerned with the people in comparison. Almost everyone of the Avengers is shown to help innocent bystanders, and at the end of it all, we see a montage of interviews with New Yorkers. And New York isn't even trashed as much as Metropolis either.
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but yeah, he's full of crap there. The end of Avengers definitely dealt with the aftermath of it's battle a lot better than Man of Steel.
Old November 14 2013, 04:31 AM   #1304
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Interesting bit of trivia: I'm watching the DVD as I type this, and with a bit of freeze-framing caught the latitude and longitude for their version of Metropolis.

LAT: +37.1237 LONG: -76.3196

Google Earth puts it between Virginia Beach and Newport News. So, a little ways south of the position Snyder stated in news reports in Chesapeake Bay.

And the footage shows no time for evacuation orders to go out at all when Zod gave the "go" order.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 04:36 AM   #1305
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

For the southern hemisphere: -77.0000 + 37.8300

Subject to correction, obviously.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer