Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13 2013, 10:26 AM   #1276
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

More like 50,000.
Old November 13 2013, 10:56 AM   #1277
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The movie was fine, but

Snyder's addressed the criticism before, claiming the implied massive casualties of the Metropolis sequence were meant to give the film a "mythological" feel, and to give American audiences a sense of the power of the myths of ancient Greece, which were used to "answer unanswerable questions about death and violence."
that's just a pile of bullshit.

When the topic came up at the fan event, though, he took a different path, first offering his own estimate of the Metropolis body count, and then claiming that another superhero hit -- Joss Whedon's The Avengers -- was less sensitive about its city-destroying violence than Man of Steel.
“Probably 5,000 people [(died from the Metropolis attack]. For me, that was part of it. No, there’s real consequences … Not to compare, but if you look at ‘The Avengers,’ they trash the city and nobody thinks about how many people are dying.” Snyder said. "There’s a sadness at the end of the movie ['Man of Steel']. That’s a thing that weighs on Superman.”
That's an even bigger pile of bullshit. First, Man of Steel ends in the Daily Planet and everyone acts like nothing at all happened. Second, Avengers was a lot more concerned with the people in comparison. Almost everyone of the Avengers is shown to help innocent bystanders, and at the end of it all, we see a montage of interviews with New Yorkers. And New York isn't even trashed as much as Metropolis either.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 11:13 AM   #1278
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Specifically-- There was Hawkeye helping the trapped passengers out of the bus, there was Captain America rescuing the captives in the bank, efforts by the whole team to keep the fighting contained, Cap coordinating with the police to get civilians to safety, even Hulk diverted a Leviathan that was about to smash into an office building.

Also, Avengers only showed ONE collapsing building.

Yeah, Zack, keep taking out your ass...
Old November 13 2013, 12:16 PM   #1279
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

I think Snyder is referring to fact that neither the Avengers, MOS or TDKR address the causalities in their respective films. Avengers has that survivors montage at the end. Giving people a chance to react, thank or protest what the Avengers did in NYC.

MOS doesn't have a scene like that. If it did I think people would claim they copied it from Avengers. Playing devils advocate for a minute; I do think they missed an opportunity to do something in the same vein. They could've used the Daily Planet and have Lois Lane, or Clark pen an article on "Why the world needs Superman" or something.

Addressing the Superman doesn't save anyone thing while the Avengers do. There certain allowances that need to be taken in to consideration comparing the two.

Notably
1. The Avengers is a team being composed of 6 people. Which includes Thor who is a roughly comparable to Superman.

This is the current roster of Avengers in the films.

This is the current roster of the JLA in the New52 Comics.

If Supes had members of the JLA with him in MOS to help him pick up the slack. We would have seen something similar to the effort out for by the Avengers when it came to civilians. Imagine placing Thor to save NYC all by himself. Could he do it? Sure the Chitauri were no threat to him, however Thor wouldn't be able to save every single person on his own.

2. Level of threat from aliens: Chitauri were being outfought by Hawkeye and Black Widow. Two characters who have no superpowers. Captain America bitch slapped them as well. For those who don't know (and a way to add greater perspective) Capt. America < Spider-Man in terms of physical strength, reflexes and agility. The Chitauri were hack and slash fodder for Thor, Hulk and Iron Man. Compare to the kyrptonians in MOS who were pounding Supes in to the ground and every near by building. If it wasn't for his invulnerability and extreme willpower, Supes would've never beaten Zod and his followers.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 03:43 PM   #1280
Gaith
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That's an even bigger pile of bullshit. First, Man of Steel ends in the Daily Planet and everyone acts like nothing at all happened. Second, Avengers was a lot more concerned with the people in comparison. Almost everyone of the Avengers is shown to help innocent bystanders, and at the end of it all, we see a montage of interviews with New Yorkers. And New York isn't even trashed as much as Metropolis either.
You said it, hombre. The Daily Planet crew are back to bantering about basketball by the end of MOS, and if a building collapsed in The Avengers, I don't recall it. Moreover, the overall tone of the latter is far more lighthearted than the unrelenting grimness of MOS, and that makes a big difference also. I think Snyder and Goyer were surprised by the violence backlash, perhaps understandably since everyone went so ga-ga over the same in Nolan's Bat-flicks, and are trying to cover themselves.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 04:04 PM   #1281
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

If anyone's interested, another SUPERMAN interview just turned up:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/fea...r-greg-cox.php
Old November 13 2013, 05:03 PM   #1282
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I don't buy the "5,000" count either. Not with multiple buildings in the first 30 seconds.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 05:05 PM   #1283
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Now the script of Man of Steel... Christopher brought up a point that if you just read a transcript, you would not know what was going on at the end battle of the film.

How is that battle described in the script? Or did they just write "Superman and Zod go at each other and wreck the city." and the rest was fleshed out in the storyboards, etc...?

Like, in the first Lord of the Rings film, the script only said (paraphrased) "the fellowship makes their way to the bridge of Khazad dum", and the whole sequence with the destroyed stairway was created on the run, so to speak, during the storyboard phase.
Old November 13 2013, 05:15 PM   #1284
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Which brings me to the end. Superman goes from screaming his lungs out to swatting a UAV that the Military was using(which we the audience are supposed to chuckle at)

The movie didn't know whether end on a somber note or uplifting note

It's almost a whiplash effect.
Old November 13 2013, 05:17 PM   #1285
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Guessing that we're talking about the passage of some time between those two scenes. Exactly - or even roughly - how much is left unclear. I'd be tempted to say "months", to allow for Clark getting anything resembling enough of a paper trail to qualify as a "stringer" for Daily Planet purposes.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 05:23 PM   #1286
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The film lacked some sort of montage at the end that shows Superman helping the military and rescuers clearing up the damage, etc... something that shows a passage of time.
Old November 13 2013, 06:11 PM   #1287
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Now the script of Man of Steel... Christopher brought up a point that if you just read a transcript, you would not know what was going on at the end battle of the film.
I'm sorry, but of all of his complaints that has go to be the weakest of the bunch.

Movies are visual medium, as are comic books. Telling a story without dialogue is perfectly reasonable. We used to have these things called silent movies. Ring a bell?

Even more recently we've had movies like Castaway where there is very little dialogue for long stretches. Going by Christopher's complaint you'd have no idea what was going on there either if you just went by a direct transcript, but unless you are blind you would have known exactly what was going on.

I get that a lot of people weren't fond of the movie, and that's their right, but complaining that you wouldn't know what's going on in a movie based solely on a direct transcript is a pretty weak complaint.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 06:20 PM   #1288
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but of all of his complaints that has go to be the weakest of the bunch.

Movies are visual medium, as are comic books. Telling a story without dialogue is perfectly reasonable. We used to have these things called silent movies. Ring a bell?

Even more recently we've had movies like Castaway where there is very little dialogue for long stretches. Going by Christopher's complaint you'd have no idea what was going on there either if you just went by a direct transcript, but unless you are blind you would have known exactly what was going on.

I get that a lot of people weren't fond of the movie, and that's their right, but complaining that you wouldn't know what's going on in a movie based solely on a direct transcript is a pretty weak complaint.
That it was a complaint of his wasn't even part of my question. I'm just wondering how detailed the script was.
Old November 13 2013, 06:22 PM   #1289
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Fair enough. I had meant to address that complaint of Christopher's earlier and had not gotten around to it. Your post just reminded me of that.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 06:27 PM   #1290
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
I don't buy the "5,000" count either. Not with multiple buildings in the first 30 seconds.
Yeah, I don't buy that. Multiple skyscrapers were flattened in seconds.

I actually like Synder but he couldn't have been more wrong in using Avengers as an example. As others have posted, there are multiple scenes of the heroes helping people.

Heck, in Superman Returns you see Supes using heat vision to irradiated some debris that's about to hit people.

Personally, I thought the best damn scene in Man of Steel was when he caught that soldier and asked if he was ok and that was in the damn trailer.