RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 364
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8 2013, 04:10 PM   #1261
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Random movie related question of the day: How did a suit of the House of El end up on a 20,000 year old scout ship?
The key contained an entire interactive Jor-El...I don't think instructions on whipping up a suit for Kal would take up much extra space.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 04:20 PM   #1262
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yeah. I was my impression that the suit was made from the data made available from the key.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 04:37 PM   #1263
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

While I was not bothered by the death of Zod, I have to admit this clip was quite amusing.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 05:11 PM   #1264
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Agreed.

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I always felt [Dean Cain's] Superman was very uncomfortable. Almost like he felt silly wearing that costume.
Maybe the character did. It was about Clark Kent putting on a suit and playing a part after all. Everything you described about the ideal Superman was still there though.

Henry Cavill was just another actor attempting to capture the look of Chris Reeve IMO. I thought he did fine though, and some scenes were memorable (like the Oil Rig scene, the movie needed more moments like that).
Superman has a general look that no one has deviated from but Cavill still brought a distinctiveness to the role, I think.

I was expecting MoS to be the Superman equivalent to Batman Begins (judging by the trailers it seems to be going in that direction). However, the trailers pretty much showed us all the character scenes in the movie.
I'd say it was Superman's version of Batman Begins. It had the same tone and hit all the right beats. We got a naturalistic take on the character, an origin story interspersed with flashbacks and a big showdown at the end that included a machine of doom and destruction. Unfortunately we may not be getting an equivalent to The Dark Knight.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 06:32 PM   #1265
davejames
Vice Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
When did this whole "I can't relate to the character, so I don't like him" thing become popular?

Do people really relate to (checks the highest grossing movies list) blue avatars, street-rats who die on sinking ships and rich, snarky men in iron suits that hang out with gods and green monsters?

The whole point of Superman isn't relating to him. It's seeing something to strive for that you WISH you could be. It's why we put on capes as kids and ran around pretending to fly. And maybe it's something we shouldn't have outgrown.
I never said I didn't like the iconic, larger than life version of the character (my two favorite Supermen will always be George Reeves and Christopher Reeve, who both embodied that idea perfectly).

But I also don't think it hurts anything to also make Superman feel more like a real, believable character-- with actual emotions and desires and needs like anyone else.

I don't see why he has to be limited to being just a symbol or archetype.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 10:06 PM   #1266
Captain_Amasov
Captain

That might have been funnier if Batman hadn't killed people in his films too.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2013, 01:51 AM   #1267
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
That might have been funnier if Batman hadn't killed people in his films too.
I remember in the Justice League cartoon series, there was one episode that explored Superman killing Lex Luthor in a parallel universe, and it let to the JLA putting the entire planet under totalitarian rule.

Personally I have no issue with MoS when it comes to the killing of Zod.

Superman was shown basically being able to hold on against 2 powerful adversaries barely by the skin of his teeth.

He gets one opportunity to stop him for good, which he might never get again. I think he had no choice but to take it.

I can see how Superman purists would be butthurt by the way it was written. I suppose the story could have provided another way. The whole point was that this wasn't supposed to be our father's Superman.

Sadly it failed miserably in other areas, but the treatment of Zod was fine. Even the original movie was edited to imply Supes threw Zod down the ice cavern to his death, along with the other baddies. Leaving the scene of them being arrested by the Arctic Police would have been major lame-o.
Old November 13 2013, 02:06 AM   #1268
Dream
Admiral

Honest Trailers: Man of Steel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sge5sUNJkiY
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 02:56 AM   #1269
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The movie was fine, but I did think the origin story was a waste of precious time. Just give me a proper Superman movie for once! The next one isn't one either, because he has to share it with Batman.

Holy schmo, is it really too much to ask?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 03:07 AM   #1270
Mr Light
Admiral

I just saw Man of Steel a second time on blu ray, and it holds up very well.

I think the complaints about the destruction of Metropolis are overblown. Most of the destruction was caused by the ship before Supes even got there. And then the few buildings that collapse in the Zod fight were caused by Zod. Supes did not cause wanton property damage on purpose in this fight.... unlike the one in Smallville where he's intentionally punching Faora and Non through gas stations and train yards

And I never had a problem with Supes executing Zod. He did it in the comics. The movie makes it absolutely clear that Supes had no choice, and Zod was committing suicide-by-cop and would not have stopped killing innocents unless he was killed.

If I have a complaint about the movie, it's that there's a ship full of twenty or so Kryptonian soldiers who never actually participate in the battle!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 03:29 AM   #1271
Warped9
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
If I have a complaint about the movie, it's that there's a ship full of twenty or so Kryptonian soldiers who never actually participate in the battle!
Maybe that's what Batman is for in the film.
Old November 13 2013, 03:32 AM   #1272
Mr Light
Admiral

So, the next movie opens with a flashback to the Battle of Metropolis, showing Batman showing up in the Batwing and taking down twenty Kryptonians single handedly? I like it!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 04:58 AM   #1273
Warped9
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
So, the next movie opens with a flashback to the Battle of Metropolis, showing Batman showing up in the Batwing and taking down twenty Kryptonians single handedly? I like it!
Batman: "They think pussy in blue is tough for taking out one Kryptonian while I took out twenty of the suckers."
Old November 13 2013, 09:13 AM   #1274
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Just rented it and I probably can't beat 85 pages of musings so I'll just add a couple things.

You know you might have smashed one too many buildings when even the characters are too numbed to move out of the way or leave as they crumble around them.

I was constantly distracted by how much Zod looked like Jaws from the Bond movies.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 09:37 AM   #1275
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Looking at interviews Zack Snyder says about 5,000 people died in the Metropolis attack. That number seems rather small IMO.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-11-11/sny...sting-avengers

Also some info on MOS 2 that will feature Batman
http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/11/12...night-returns/
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote