Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23 2013, 05:57 PM   #766
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

They're pretty lame, yeah.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 08:22 PM   #767
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

My review:
I'm a huge fan of Superman on film. I even have my own "fan explanation" for the spinning around the globe thing in the first film. Film is such a literal medium, and, as a result, people think that he's spinning around the world in one direction so fast that he's causing the world to spin the other direction. Because it's on film, people think it's a literal physical process. I don't. My POV: There are hints throughout the original Donner film that the Kryptonians have some kind of access to time itself, as if it's part of their senses and faculties, and they can manipulate it. Which is why Jor-El can interact with Kal-El even thousands of years after his death. Which is why Kal-El can spend twelve years in the Fortress but actually was in there for far longer, learning so much more and in essence traveling the galaxy with his father. When Jor-El tells him not to interfere with human history, he was being literal, and whereas he could dismiss the flying around and the parlor tricks, he doesn't want Clark to interfere with the timeline. So the "spinning around the globe" thing isn't literal, but it was analogous to what he must do (notice his rage) in order to actually move back in time just a few minutes, in defiance of Jor-El's orders.

That's my fan theory, like it or not. Needless to say, I'm a fan. Even if Donner himself would tell me different (he has, on commentaries, etc) I still like it. Superman Returns was a film I was psyched for. I wonder why they waited so long to bring the character back to not have him do anything.

Man of Steel is like the Bill Clinton of movies, it tries to please everyone. They were overcompensating from Returns. To be fair, there are a few new twists to the mythos that I could appreciate. I might not like these twists compared with a the straightforward, classic Superman story, but I can understand their appeal: These include:
- Mild Mannered reporter coming at the end.
- Clark and Lois meeting as they did, and she knows who he is.
- getting his powers all at once, and he needs all that time to control his senses.

these are pretty good. And some of the scenes worked. But this film was Transformers with Supermen. And while I'd argue that Transformers had some great characters (it definitely did) it was always about giant robots causing destruction as they fight their war here. That's what it was about. And how glorious in the first TF film to see buildings being wrecked as robots change from helicopters and planes to robots and back. It hadn't been done in live action. But the ending of Man of Steel was indistinguishable form TF. It is glorious seeing two superhuman guys go at it. It is nice to see superman punch someone. But The giant robots had more presence than two little people. So this was never as interesting.

The story jumped so much, discarding the epic structure of the Donner films, but in doing so, Snyder failed to assert a tone of his own.. it never felt like the different parts of the film were of a piece. How disappointing.

And the scenes involving the military here scenes were so anemic that it reminded how good Michael Bay was at directing scenes involving the military.. he would often instruct them to do what they would do in a given hypothetical situation but he'd give it an energy that's lacking here. Particularly the performances of the various soldiers all seem to lack energy. There was more meaningful energy onscreen during the Skorponok attack in TF1 than for the entirety of MoS.
Old June 23 2013, 08:30 PM   #768
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

So at least half a billion, probably more.
Old June 23 2013, 08:34 PM   #769
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
So at least half a billion, probably more.
What, the number of people killed by Superman over the course of the movie?! :BOOM!:
Old June 23 2013, 09:01 PM   #770
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I'd argue that Transformers had some great characters (it definitely did)
Which were you favourites, the horrifically racist ones or the ones endorsing casual sexism?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 09:05 PM   #771
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Okay, obviously I was mistaken about the telepathy. I thought there was a part at the school before he went in the closet where he was reading someone's unspoken thoughts about him, but it must have just been the super-hearing.

I blame that damn "Can you read my mind?" monologue from Superman.
I always imagined an alternate version of that scene where Superman interrupts her monologue by responding, "I'm still working on that power, actually."
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 10:34 PM   #772
the G-man
Commodore

C+ or B-

As a belated father's day event (he was sick last week), I took my 73 year old father who has been a Superman fan since the 1940s to see it today.

He wasn't impressed.
I liked it a better than he did but I was disappointed.

The cast was very good, especially Costner, Crowe and Cavill.

The fight scene in Smallville had some good moments. Same with the prologue on Krypton.

But it was largely an unrelentingly grim and violent film that, except for the scene where Superman first learned to fly, was almost completely without joy or wonder. And a Superman movie, unlike Batman, should have a lot of joy and wonder.

Donner and Reeve understood this.
Snyder and Nolan didn't.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 10:44 PM   #773
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
And a Superman movie, unlike Batman, should have a lot of joy and wonder.
I completely agree with you but I reconcile such qualms by reminding myself that these are takes on characters. There have been plenty of 'grim' Superman tales (the guy died) and this movie is just another in a long line of interpretations and if we have to through this one to get to that one mythical perfect Superman movie I'm all for it.

The fact that I enjoyed this one as much as I did is an added bonus.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 10:59 PM   #774
Mach5
Rear Admiral

But it was largely an unrelentingly grim and violent film that, except for the scene where Superman first learned to fly, was almost completely without joy or wonder. And a Superman movie, unlike Batman, should have a lot of joy and wonder.

Snyder and Nolan didn't.
Exactly
Old June 23 2013, 11:04 PM   #775
the G-man
Commodore

• LOSER OF THE WEEK: Man of Steel. Though it's hard to call a movie a loser when it earned an estimated $41.2 million this weekend. Still, that represents a slide of 65 percent from last weekend's first-place debut. The movie has earned $210.0 million in North America and $283.3 million worldwide in two weeks, again, not really loser territory except by the movie's own lofty standards. Given its estimated $225 million budget, the movie will have to gross about $500 million worldwide to recoup its costs. That'll be an uphill climb, especially with The Lone Ranger opening in two weeks

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...#ixzz2X4zWtauz
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 11:04 PM   #776
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

After the first 10 minutes of the second act, Joy and Wonder left Donner and Reeve at the alter.
Old June 23 2013, 11:07 PM   #777
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

This "it was joyless" complaint from the folks who didn't like the movie is trivial and inaccurate. There's no content there, other than as a way of elevating "I didn't like it."
Old June 23 2013, 11:12 PM   #778
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

LOSER OF THE WEEK: Man of Steel. Though it's hard to call a movie a loser when it earned an estimated $41.2 million this weekend. Still, that represents a slide of 65 percent from last weekend's first-place debut. The movie has earned $210.0 million in North America and $283.3 million worldwide in two weeks, again, not really loser territory except by the movie's own lofty standards. Given its estimated $225 million budget, the movie will have to gross about $500 million worldwide to recoup its costs. That'll be an uphill climb, especially with The Lone Ranger opening in two weeks
What a load of B/S, anyone who starts with "Though it's hard to call a movie a loser" should shut up at that point. Man of Steel will break into that $300 million club domestically and be set for a $600-700 million worldwide gross.

As for The Long Ranger, that will flop.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 12:11 AM   #779
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
This "it was joyless" complaint from the folks who didn't like the movie is trivial and inaccurate. There's no content there, other than as a way of elevating "I didn't like it."
QFT.
Old June 24 2013, 12:13 AM   #780
davejames
Vice Admiral

Snyder and Nolan didn't.
I still do not understand this criticism at all.

For me there was plenty of joy and wonder in the amazing design of Krypton, in the dramatic rescues of the refinery workers and schoolkids, in the first reveal of Superman to us and to the military, in the arrival of the huge Kryptonian ships, in the exciting rescue of Lois from the escape pod, in Superman overcoming the energy beam and flying into the heart of the World Engine, and in much of the visuals and choreography of the epic battles.

As a Superman and superhero fan, I thought this movie was just chalk-full of wondrous and amazing moments (far more than in IM3, Cap, or Thor in fact), and sat there in awe pretty much all the way through. How anyone could be completely unimpressed or find the whole thing nothing but a dreary, tedious exercise, I'll never understand.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote