MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 21 2013, 06:13 PM   #661
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Dream wrote: View Post
I REALLY hope Superman helped with the Metropolis cleanup. It's the least he could do after his people destroyed so much shit. I imagine there are many people that resent him for the damages.
His people? That would be like holding me responsible for 9/11 simply because I am also human.

BillJ wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post

Yup, this is exactly it. I'm sure anyone younger than 18 had a fucking blast watching this movie
I had a fucking blast watching the movie and I'm 42.
Yeah, my buddy and I saw it for the second time last night and we are 41 and 42.

I paid closer attention this time too and virtually all the damage in Metropolis was caused by the world builder. Everyone saying Superman destroyed Metropolis are really exaggerating.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 07:43 PM   #662
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'm...over 50, and this is now my favorite superhero movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 07:44 PM   #663
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Is it me or is it bad direction that Superman saves the family by snapping Zod's neck, we never see the family again, not even in any of the medium or wide shots of the the set.
Old June 21 2013, 07:50 PM   #664
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

It's you.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 08:07 PM   #665
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Lois Lane has yet to find a boyfriend, husband or at least a serious relationship? It doesn't seem to "feel right", I guess, more so in Superman's case.
What? Where do you get this from? Ok, pretty clearly no husband, but where do you draw the conclusion she's never had a boyfriend or serious relationship?
Old June 21 2013, 08:36 PM   #666
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
What? Where do you get this from? Ok, pretty clearly no husband, but where do you draw the conclusion she's never had a boyfriend or serious relationship?
In fact, if they go ahead with a JLA movie, I half-expect them to drudge up the old "she dated Bruce in college" gag.
Old June 21 2013, 09:43 PM   #667
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Even S-IV had it's moments.

So far, MoS is the most sterile one. I hope they fix the issues in the sequel.
All I remember about Superman IV right now is that Nuclear Man was terrible, and the ridiculous scene with Superman carrying the woman in outer space. I still don't know how she was alive during it. It was like the writers had stopped caring at that point!
Actually, according to Mark Rosenthal's commentary for Superman IV, the special effects people screwed up those scenes, and Lacy was supposed to be carried only as far as the skies of Metropolis. But a mistake was made somewhere along the line, and the background was shown as outer space instead. The writers had nothing to do with it.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 09:55 PM   #668
feek61
Captain

I saw it and thought it was ok. I loved the beginning and the parts when he reflected back on his life. I thought the fight scenes went on way too long but then again I'm old and like a good story in lieu of all action.

I gave it a B-
Old June 21 2013, 10:58 PM   #669
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Lois Lane has yet to find a boyfriend, husband or at least a serious relationship? It doesn't seem to "feel right", I guess, more so in Superman's case.
Yeah, I'm kind of curious how Trekker leapt to that conclusion too.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 11:18 PM   #670
Dream
Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I REALLY hope Superman helped with the Metropolis cleanup. It's the least he could do after his people destroyed so much shit. I imagine there are many people that resent him for the damages.
His people? That would be like holding me responsible for 9/11 simply because I am also human.
I only used "his people" to refer to Zod and his solders. I personally don't blame Clark for the lost lives, but when he broke into the Kryptonian scout shit, it resulted in the sent distress call, which led Zod to Earth. His actions indirectly led the the battle.

But there will those in the public that always blame him no matter what, even if they don't know all the facts. It's only natural.

It's like the senator at the end of the Avengers blaming the team for the damages from the alien invasion.
Old June 21 2013, 11:28 PM   #671
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I didn't say she's never had them. But what I meant was that she wasn't IN one.
Old June 21 2013, 11:53 PM   #672
stj
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Is it me or is it bad direction that Superman saves the family by snapping Zod's neck, we never see the family again, not even in any of the medium or wide shots of the the set.
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It's you.
I have to agree with the first. It's true that the audience is only supposed to enjoy Superman killing, provided he feels terrible for a few seconds, but the manifest content of the scene says that he (and we) do care. Which would dictate some sort of visual closure. It's a minor flaw I think, not enough to prevent your enjoyment of the good things about the movie. But how does liking the movie mean you think it's perfect?
Old June 21 2013, 11:53 PM   #673
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I didn't say she's never had them. But what I meant was that she wasn't IN one.
Is there a reason she should be?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2013, 12:02 AM   #674
feek61
Captain

stj wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It's you.
I have to agree with the first. It's true that the audience is only supposed to enjoy Superman killing, provided he feels terrible for a few seconds, but the manifest content of the scene says that he (and we) do care. Which would dictate some sort of visual closure. It's a minor flaw I think, not enough to prevent your enjoyment of the good things about the movie. But how does liking the movie mean you think it's perfect?
Honestly this is one of the things that really bothered me about the movie. They both fell from space, crashed through numerous buildings, had major fist fights and then Superman simply snaps his neck. Didn't ring true to me. Why didn't he do that at the beginning of Zodd's arrival and save Metropolis from destruction. It was a very weak resolve; very weak.
Old June 22 2013, 12:02 AM   #675
marksound
Fleet Captain

A lot of real people place other things above dating or romantic relationships. Education, career, hobbies, what have you. That a character in a movie did the same thing is not at all unbelievable.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote