Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17 2013, 02:20 AM   #286
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
The tornado scene was the moment I fully connected with the film on an emotional level. Not only was it touching to see dad stand by his words (to paraphrase: "don't rush to the rescue and reveal your powers") it also, for me, cemented why Clark acted to save others. He was following in pa Kent's footsteps. From that moment in the film on, he was focused on learning to follow in pa El's footsteps - and to successfully reconcile the two.

It was a pivotal scene for the film. And, for me anyway, it worked.
I kinda choked up during that scene.
Old June 17 2013, 03:02 AM   #287
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There were moments when the audience applauded and cheered when I saw the movie. One of them was on Meloni's line: "This man is not our enemy."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 03:04 AM   #288
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

During the screening, naturally, our audience cheered at the Royals shirt and Superman proudly saying he was from Kansas.
Old June 17 2013, 03:09 AM   #289
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Here's a logical flaw in the whole proceeding, of course - if Lois Lane could back track from a few news reports to locate Smallville and Clark Kent as the alien protector at a time when he was anonymous, it would be child's play for the government to do the same now that so much is known about him - particularly as they delve into the specifics of how Smallville, Kansas became the locus of the Kryptonian conflict.

Not that this is as ridiculous as Clark getting by with the eyeglasses.

Liking Jenny Olsen as a sub for Jimmy, BTW.
Old June 17 2013, 03:18 AM   #290
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Here's a logical flaw in the whole proceeding, of course - if Lois Lane could back track from a few news reports to locate Smallville and Clark Kent as the alien protector at a time when he was anonymous, it would be child's play for the government to do the same now that so much is known about him - particularly as they delve into the specifics of how Smallville, Kansas became the locus of the Kryptonian conflict.

Not that this is as ridiculous as Clark getting by with the eyeglasses.

Liking Jenny Olsen as a sub for Jimmy, BTW.
Really, if I hadn't of known I'd have no idea on who she was supposed to be. Lombard got more establishment than Jenny Olsen did. And, yeah, I thought the same thing about what Superman said about growing up in Kansas.

But I wonder if maybe on some level if the military *does* know who Superman really us. Superman accuses them of looking "where he hangs his cape" which could mean they're looking for whatever is passing for the Fortress of Solitude in this movie. (Which could be the damaged space ship or something.) They know it's Clark but they're not *too* concerned about that considering he's already shown his loyalties and such, it's just a matter of keeping an eye on him that Superman takes issue with. I mean what would to be gained from persecuting him when he's Clark? Considering for all they know they can't do squat to him and he's shown a willingness to work with them and even turn himself in if the situation calls for it.

How the secret identity thing is going to work in this franchise will be interesting. And part of me is glad the Lois/Clark/Superman thing isn't going to be an issue but another part of me sort of thinks it sort of matters that Lois doesn't know. The whole reason for that is Superman wanted Lois to fall in love with CLARK and not Superman. Here, she's in smitten with the hunky man who's saved her life several times, not seen through the oafishness/awkwardness of Clark to find something to love.

But, also, it seems that if Lois can string together Clark's nomadic life then a lot of reporters could. Yeah, how the secret identity is going to work in these movies is a sticky issue.
Old June 17 2013, 03:21 AM   #291
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
There were a number of heroes in the film. I really liked Christopher Meloni as Col. Hardy. Loved the scene where he emptied his guns on the Kryptonian villainess Faora (to no effect) and then pulled a knife on her. What guts!
He should have thrown the gun at her...she might have ducked.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 03:22 AM   #292
Creepy Critter
Admiral

The military will see on their radar tracking that one stop of the Kryptonians was right at the Kent house, correct?
Old June 17 2013, 03:24 AM   #293
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The military will see on their radar tracking that one stop of the Kryptonians was right at the Kent house, correct?
Hell it was a stop of one of their own military vehicles when Lois ran up to Superman and yelled the name "Clark!" at him before the last act.
Old June 17 2013, 03:25 AM   #294
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Hell it was a stop of one of their own military vehicles when Lois ran up to Superman and yelled the name "Clark!" at him before the last act.
That was the police cruiser she flagged down?
Old June 17 2013, 03:28 AM   #295
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I like that Goyer and Snyder are aware of how ridiculous the dual identity is going to wind up being if they try to play it like the comics. Goyer's saying now that characters like Pete Ross and some other Smallvillers certainly know that Clark is Superman, and suggests that Perry White and others at the Planet will have to be in on the gag as well.
Old June 17 2013, 03:28 AM   #296
Agent Richard07
Admiral

There seems to be some debate about Jenny and I found this...

Here's the full picture.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2013, 03:30 AM   #297
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
There seems to be some debate about Jenny and I found this...

Here's the full picture.
Awww.
Old June 17 2013, 03:32 AM   #298
cbspock
Rear Admiral

There were a number of heroes in the film. I really liked Christopher Meloni as Col. Hardy. Loved the scene where he emptied his guns on the Kryptonian villainess Faora (to no effect) and then pulled a knife on her. What guts!

and she pulled a bigger knife

-Chris
Old June 17 2013, 03:33 AM   #299
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
That was the police cruiser she flagged down?
I think so, but I also think some military personnel where there. Even if it just was the police that's still and official group of people the military can go to in order to connect the dots.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I like that Goyer and Snyder are aware of how ridiculous the dual identity is going to wind up being if they try to play it like the comics. Goyer's saying now that characters like Pete Ross and some other Smallvillers certainly know that Clark is Superman, and suggests that Perry White and others at the Planet will have to be in on the gag as well.
Right now it certainly seems Perry White and the Planet isn't "in on it." The DP scene at the end certainly didn't play that way and, really, White and Lombard never knew the connection between Superman and Clark. Hopefully it'll remain with just Lois (and the government maybe in some capacity) knowing.

Pete Ross and other Smallville people knowing is fine and works to a degree or another, but at the same time it would have been nice if Pete didn't roll on Clark and tell a reporter about the incident with the bus, choosing to contain the truth just a bit. But then again he manages an IHOP, so...
Old June 17 2013, 03:34 AM   #300
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

cbspock wrote: View Post

and she pulled a bigger knife

-Chris
[Crocodile Dundee]That ain't a knife![/Crocodile Dundee]

And it wasn't that much bigger it was just more jagged and glowier.