Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11 2013, 06:02 PM   #16
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

I've surveyed some of the reviews. Consensus seems to be that it is spectacular, the cast is fine but the film might have benefited from more humor. I expect a $100 million opening weekend.

Last edited by Bad Bishop; June 12 2013 at 01:40 AM.
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:21 PM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
In Superman Returns they didn't have it either. The yellow S would make the CGI cape too time consuming and more expensive.
You know, they might have said that but even if it were in some sense true at that time - really, really doubtful - it's not even a consideration now.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:32 PM   #18
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
The CBR review is mostly positive.
Elements of Jonathan Kent's fathering smack of character assassination so Jor-El can glow when Clark finally encounters an echo of him. Also, Jonathan does something to prove a point that is just so wrong-headed and out of character that it nearly drove me out of the theater.
I wonder what CBR means by this? Maybe when Daddy Kent went to suicide himself in the Tornado?
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
- I kind of miss the yellow "S" on the back of the cape. Kind of. I can accept that it probably doesn't work with this particular costume design.
Same here. The cape always looks odd to me without the yellow S. Granted, the one on Reeve's cape was pretty cheap and ugly looking, but Lois & Clark showed that it was definitely possible to make look cool.
In Superman Returns they didn't have it either. The yellow S would make the CGI cape too time consuming and more expensive.

The 90's animated series had a similar reason. The \S/ is good on paper but difficult in motion for CGI and animation.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 08:07 PM   #20
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

From the CBR review:

Also, Jonathan does something to prove a point that is just so wrong-headed and out of character that it nearly drove me out of the theater.
Is it out of character for the way Jonathan is portrayed in Man of Steel or is it out of character for how the reviewer has seen Jonathan portrayed before? This is a reimagined version so he can have different behaviors than previous ones and not be out of character.
Old June 11 2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

It's an odd choice, and honestly, I don't think it works.

Old June 11 2013, 09:17 PM   #22
davejames
Vice Admiral

Really liked this Movies.com review, the way he describes the themes and characters, and the fact he found it so emotionally resonant. That's a bit reassuring after the way some critics described it as just a dull, mindnumbing action-fest.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/man...an-movie/12497
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Gojira
Commodore

I get the impression that some reviewers just don't like superhero movies in general.
Old June 11 2013, 10:07 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Something not too different from all those ludicrous ideas from the 90's "Superman" movie scripts.

-Suit's not traditional
-Kryptonian culture is different from Donner
Why wouldn't the culture be different from Donner's version? It's not like Richard Donner invented Superman or Krypton. His movie's version of Kryptonian civilization was a radical reinvention. For the previous four decades, Krypton had developed more along the lines of your standard Flash Gordon-style futuristic society with colorful costumes and flying cars and whatnot (in the premiere of the '50s TV series, they even wore reused costumes from Flash Gordon serials). And the versions of Krypton seen in subsequent adaptations like the syndicated Superboy, Lois and Clark, and Superman: The Animated Series were all distinct from the Donner version too, as was the version glimpsed in the early seasons of Smallville (as reflected in things like the technology design of Clark's ship).

It wasn't until Superman Returns came out that the Donner-style sterile-white-crystals Krypton made a comeback -- specifically because it was meant to be in the same universe as the Donner films, allowing for a sliding timescale -- and then Smallville and the comics began following suit in order to ride the movie's coattails.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 02:46 AM   #25
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I'm just hoping that whatever they DO set up for Krypton stays the norm for a little while - I'm kinda tired with all these 'reinventions' of Krypton every time some writer goes "y'know we should make it look like this... again."

I mean Byrne sorta rode the Donner train back in 86 (And really it was only like less than 10 years since Superman 1 and there were still Reeves movies being made and hell his Superman looked like a much bulkier Christopher Reeve) Then sometime in the past decade or so they started to Silver Age Krypton, dumping all or most of the established comics Krypton stuff.

I'm kinda interested in seeing more of this style of Krypton and Kryptonians in the future - it looks pretty distinct and far more original than the recycled Flash Gordon designs of the 50s-70s or the crystal sterility of the Donner era.

The new suit is starting to grow on me too - I'm kinda digging the quasi-armor look actually. looks better than the "New 52" suit which IS far more armor. This looks more like chainmail/underarmor - which is kinda pointless for a man who's skin can bounce bullets - but it looks a lot better than spandex or that goofy spandex with the overly complex textures.

Granted this is an overly complex suit too - but for some reason all the texture and "high def" detail works better than the 'Returns' suit.
Old June 12 2013, 03:58 AM   #26
Christopher
Writer

I never saw Byrne's Kryptonian designs as being that much like those in the Donner movies. There was a similar sterility to the culture, but Byrne designed a distinctly different way of conveying that impression, rather than just slavishly copying like Returns and Smallville did.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 04:32 AM   #27
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Byrne's Krypton reminded me of the Shi'ar.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 12:36 AM   #28
Procutus
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Nice to see that they added the Whitney character from Smallville but I really wish they had put in Chloe Sullivan. Next time for sure.

That would've been a nice touch indeed, especially if they could've found a 17 year old actress who bore a close resemblance to Allison. As you say, hopefully next time.

Really looking forward to seeing this, hopefully on Saturday depending on my work schedule.
Old June 13 2013, 05:09 AM   #29
Dream
Admiral

Where is Brandon Routh? Even Cain got on the cover!

Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:39 AM   #30
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

They also left out Kirk Alyn and the two Superboy actors but yeah it's sad they left out Routh.

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote