Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16 2013, 02:55 PM   #256
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Not the same as breaking someone's neck though, is it?
No, but again, breaking Zod's neck meant something to Superman. He was anguished when it happened and it he was at the very limits of himself when it happened. It wasn't like he went up to Zod, broke his neck, and went "NBD, I'll go make out with Lois now." He was at his BRINK when he did it, did it, and then broke down and wept, angry with himself in what he was brought to. That's a bit more powerful than the Kryptonian Criminals falling down a crevasse and then Superman going to whip up some memory-erasing Chap-Stick to kiss Lois with later or whatever the hell happened there.
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
And Clark is devastated and traumatized by his split-second and necessary choice here.
I would stress - I don't have a problem with what Superman did in that scne. From both a legal and moral point of view, he did the right thing and as you say, he clearly was devastated by it. I was simply uncomfortable with the writers opting to include a scene where Superman breaks someone's neck, even if that someone is General Zod, in a Steven Seagal/ Jack Bauer manner.

This was unmistakably the most emotionally engaging Superman movie to date.
Hmm, I'd disagree. For all that Superman Returns got wrong - and I think MOS is the better movie and the better Superman movie - SR definitely, for me anyway, did a better job in making me empathise with Kal-El and feel his emotions. Cracking the picture frame when he realised Lois had a new man, his cry of pain when Luthor stabbed him in the side, his mother standing anonymously in the crowd, unable to see her son in hospital. Little scenes like that gave Returns the edge in that department for me.
Old June 16 2013, 03:14 PM   #257
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I also had a lot of appreciation for some of what Superman Returns did, while recognizing that it was, as a whole package, a deeply flawed movie. Somewhere between the better parts of SR and MoS is a fantastic Superman movie that we haven't seen yet....
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 04:40 PM   #258
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I've been reading Superman comics since the late 1950s, and consumed a fair portion of the comics printed in the 50s during my first few years of reading. I found Man Of Steel to be brilliant, emotional, excellently cast, well conceived and well written. I've no misgivings about the movie at all, though eventually I might have a quibble or two.

In fact it probably helps that my image of Clark/Supes predates the Christopher Reeve version by decades. I was an adult when that movie was made, and as far as live action versions of the characters my first exposure was to the George Reeves television series. Christopher Reeve, while excellent, has never been my idea of the "perfect" Superman. Certainly Donner's movies never struck me as great films in any respect other that Reeve's performance.

Watching Cavill portraying Clark mastering his flying ability (a power his antagonists never do quite get) was absolutely a joyful sequence and the kind of thing that the Donner movies may have aspired to but fell short of. Man Of Steel finally fulfilled the unmet promise of the advertising headline for Donner's first Superman film: if seeing is believing then, for the first time, I believed a man could fly.

Oh, BTW, what the trucker found when he left the bar was laugh out-loud funny - even if the audience had to have been a beat ahead of him there.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 04:57 PM   #259
sojourner
Admiral

It's funny, the trucker scene to me is a direct homage to the Donner/Lester movies.

As for the flying effects it all looked great -except for that piece of footage of him flying over the wildlife in africa. It looked like footage taken from the old Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. Terribly blurry piece of film with a man greenscreened over it.
Old June 16 2013, 05:16 PM   #260
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

In the later part of the movie there are a couple of landing shots that remind one of the wire work they did with Reeve, and they really stand out as awkward and inauthentic here.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 06:23 PM   #261
davejames
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Reflecting on the movie some more, I think that I like the film that the first half of the movie was trying to be, and would like to have seen more of that. It's not that the film didn't have any warmth, humor, or heart, and it had plenty of good ideas...but all of that was overwhelmed by the relentless spectacle of the second half. They should have found an excuse or two to allow for some pauses in the action to better follow through on the things that had been started in that other film that we'd just been watching....
I thought we got enough pauses in the action. After the big Smallville fight, Superman visits his mother and they have a touching moment together. And after the final battle, Superman and Lois have some nice moments together before his battle with Zod begins.

I just didn't feel these battles went on too long at all (and I'm one who completely zoned out during the TF2 and TF3 battles, and during the nonstop action of the Pirates sequels).

The only real complaint I have is how so much of it was done with CG digital doubles. I would have loved to have seen more action at normal speed mixed in (or even in slo-mo) with the actual actors.

daveyNY wrote: View Post
There definitely seems to be a Classic to New Age preference theme, running in them.
I don't think it's that. I'm 39, grew up on the Donner movies and Silver Age comics, and I absolutely adored the movie. And I suspect there's plenty more here like me.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 06:33 PM   #262
davejames
Vice Admiral

In the later part of the movie there are a couple of landing shots that remind one of the wire work they did with Reeve, and they really stand out as awkward and inauthentic here.
I actually loved that we got at least one graceful, Reeve-style landing in this movie-- even if it was sadly done more with CG than having Cavill on wires (you could definitely tell when the CG merged into the real actors there).

And while I get that they wanted to make the takeoffs look powerful and dramatic, there's just something about seeing a real guy in a Superman suit lift off into the air that I'll always prefer.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 06:48 PM   #263
RAMA
Vice Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
Phily B wrote: View Post
Another thing that annoyed me, when he dons the suit - it's not epic, it doesn't feel monumental or a great weight. It' just a suit. Same with the flying scene, when he "learns" to fly properly - it's not really joyous, or monumental or any of that, he is just flying. You have that generic Hans Zimmer drumbeat rattling in the background while you see a shaky cam of a blue blur, the closest it got to being cool was when he went through space. It just rushed it.

Compare and contrast with Iron Man when he flies the suit into the atmosphere the first time and around town. Hell, even in Star Trek when you see the Enterprise for the first time in the 2009 flick would be a comparison.
Agree. There is no joy in the movie. I daresay there is not one single scene I would describe as exhilarating.

There isn't one scene that matches the heroic grandeur of Superman saving the the plane in the middle of the baseball stadium, no jawdroppingingly obscene display of Superman's powers to match the bullet blast to the eye in SR. Frack me, if I'm remembering correctly, bullets knocked Supes off his feet in MoS.

There is nothing to match the sheer joy watching Clark discovering his powers as a child like in Superman '78, and SR.

In Superman '78 Superman's emotional reaction to Lois' death had a foundation that had been built which made it realistic and appropriate. The kiss between the two in MoS seemed like it must have been the prelude to a booty call to me based on the lack of foundation for anything more.

In Supes '78, his emotional plea to Miss Tesbacher to help him save people from Lex' nuke resonated as did Supe's heartfelt, "goodbye Lois" in SR. After the "goodbye" in SR, there is that goosepimply moment when he flies above the clouds to replenish his strength with the Sun's yellow rays before, perhaps, meeting death. There were no moments like this in MoS. In MoS, emotion was replaced by action.

Does Pa Kent going back to save his dog after suggesting to Clark that he maybe should have allowed a bus full of children to die mean he thinks more of dogs than he does kids? Maybe not, but from what I saw in the movie, I could at least make that argument.

The lack of an emotional center in this movie along with Supes' angst and physical vulnerability maybe (maybe) works for Batman, but he is a much different character than Supes -- to me. Chris Nolan, apparently, sees them as being pretty similar.

Disagree...the reality is Man of Steel made such scenes commonplace, they happen routinely through the film because they can now.

RAMA
Old June 16 2013, 07:28 PM   #264
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I really liked the movie. I thought how it handled humanity's reaction to Superman was handled really well. People didn't trust him, and when he and Zod started going at one another humanity was attacking both of them until it became obvious that Superman wasn't going to harm them. I liked the set up of Krypton in the beginning, very different than the Superman of the 70s which had a more comic book interpretation, where I think Man of Steel went for Science Fiction. I thought the middle part of the film, before Superman reveals himself felt very much like an X-files episode, and Amy Adams' Lois reminded me a bit of Scully. The fight scenes were completely over the top which they should be since super beings are attacking one another. It was like someone figured out how to turn some of the DC animated movie action scenes into live action.

I think it was a great set up for Superman 2.

I think a lot of the bad reviews are from people expecting to see a reboot along the lines of the original 70s Superman but with better effects. I don't think that would have worked today. I am glad they didn't stick the 70s theme into the movie, although they probably could have teased a little of it at the very end, sort of like JJ used the Trek theme. However the new theme those two lonely notes was used to great effect in setting the tone, showing the isolation of Superman an alien among humans, yet he grew up with them and the emotional conflict within Superman as well.

I am glad they chose to go in a different direction than the Superman movies I grew up with. The Reeve movies and Superman Returns stand on their own they were good in their own right. (except for 3 and 4 ) I can see them mixing this new Superman with the Dark Knight.

-Chris
Old June 16 2013, 07:46 PM   #265
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Would this movie be okay for a seven year old? I'm thinking of taking my nephews and the youngest is seven. He's also seen The Hobbit where there's at lease one head getting chopped off and it didn't phase him.
Old June 16 2013, 07:48 PM   #266
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

The Lensman wrote: View Post
Would this movie be okay for a seven year old? I'm thinking of taking my nephews and the youngest is seven. He's also seen The Hobbit where there's at lease one head getting chopped off and it didn't phase him.
Should be, there's nothing too graphic in there. Except a neck snapping and a swear word or two.
Old June 16 2013, 07:52 PM   #267
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Cool, thanks Bob!
Old June 16 2013, 07:59 PM   #268
Opus
Commodore

I typically don't see films in the cinema these days, but I've always liked Superman. I'll have to catch it this week.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 08:05 PM   #269
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

The Lensman wrote: View Post
My twins are seven and I took them to it along with their 11-year old brother. They were fine with it, and enjoyed the film as much as I did.

The only thing that gave them pause on occasion was the volume of some of the sudden, unexpected explosions.
Old June 16 2013, 08:16 PM   #270
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Oh, BTW, what the trucker found when he left the bar was laugh out-loud funny - even if the audience had to have been a beat ahead of him there.
sojourner wrote: View Post
It's funny, the trucker scene to me is a direct homage to the Donner/Lester movies.
Yes, I also took it as a homage to Superman II but it was infinitely funnier and more satisfying than having Clark simply beat up the trucker.