Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7 2013, 04:01 AM   #1501
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

My gut reaction is to say go Hobbit, but the CGI in Elysium was incredibly realistic. It truly looked like those locations existed in real life with depth and weight.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2013, 11:41 AM   #1502
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I'm not surprised Man of Steel didn't get nominated. It didn't look that great, and all the elements in it have been done before. In fact, Man of Steel made me think that today's summer blockbusters are written by ILM. "We have building collapse simulations from Transformers. Let's collapse buildings in STD and Man of Steel. We have water simulations from Battleship, let's have a flying aircraft carrier in Avengers and the Enterprise rising out of the waters in STD." Etc...

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Gravity will get it, though. It'll be the little Academy darling.
Well deserved. After having read about the production process, I also hope for Best Director and Best (Supporting) Actor. Because Gravity is an entirely different beast of filmmaking. And the end result is marvellous.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 05:59 PM   #1503
Gaith
Rear Admiral

In other news, Man of Steel nabs the #4 spot of The AV Club's Worst Movies of the Year list, beating A Haunted House and Planes. Justice is served!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 06:25 PM   #1504
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

By whose lights?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 06:50 PM   #1505
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
In other news, Man of Steel nabs the #4 spot of The AV Club's Worst Movies of the Year list, beating A Haunted House and Planes. Justice is served!
That's just dumb. Yes, Man of Steel sucked, but it was a relative level of suck. Great acting, competent script, fantastic special effects, and exciting action scenes. Man of Steel nailed the basics and no film that does that should end up on a worst film of the year list. Worst film of the year that grossed over $100 million domestic? Maybe.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 06:54 PM   #1506
Warped9
Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
By whose lights?
Agreed. MoS might not have been the greatest thing I ever saw, but it certainly didn't suck. I thought it was fine.
Old December 14 2013, 07:00 PM   #1507
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Yes, Man of Steel sucked, but it was a relative level of suck.
But it was also a high-profile level of suck, so people will want to include it on their lists.
Old December 14 2013, 07:18 PM   #1508
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The AV Club gave MOS a C+ in their review, but year-worst lists are a time for score-settling and entertaining writing, not an objective and fair collection of the lowest grades or most wanting production value assessments.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2013, 09:51 PM   #1509
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Eh, I thought Man of Steel was okay but I wasn't wowed by it. I felt a little numb after the last 45 minutes of seemingly non-stop action. I think I would have liked it more if it had more of an emphasis on story/character as the trailers sort of suggested.
Old December 15 2013, 08:00 PM   #1510
davejames
Vice Admiral

I can understand if MOS just didn't grab you or interest you for whatever reason, but by no means does it deserve to be on any "Worst Movie of the Year" list. Not when there were movies like RIPD, After Earth, Scary Movie 5 and Grown ups 2.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 10:19 PM   #1511
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Just as an FYI, the Blu-ray is $9.99 at Best Buy right now:

Best Buy Link

And Amazon is price matching.
Old December 15 2013, 11:13 PM   #1512
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
I can understand if MOS just didn't grab you or interest you for whatever reason, but by no means does it deserve to be on any "Worst Movie of the Year" list. Not when there were movies like RIPD, After Earth, Scary Movie 5 and Grown ups 2.
"Worst Movie of the Year" lists are always dumb, because chances are the actual worst movies of the year haven't even been seen by anyone. The movies that end up on those lists are usually high-profile disappointments, which is why "Most Disappointing Movie of the Year" would probably be a better title.

For me, the most disappointing movie of the year was Star Trek Into Darkness, but I would never argue that it's actually the year's worst. The same goes for Man of Steel. Both movies are technically impressive and very competently made in many ways, but just happened to treat their source material in a way that upset a lot of fans (myself included).
Old December 15 2013, 11:20 PM   #1513
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Disappointment requires expectation. I've seen many films this year without knowing what to expect, and they were just bad.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 06:40 PM   #1514
davejames
Vice Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
For me, the most disappointing movie of the year was Star Trek Into Darkness, but I would never argue that it's actually the year's worst. The same goes for Man of Steel. Both movies are technically impressive and very competently made in many ways, but just happened to treat their source material in a way that upset a lot of fans (myself included).
Agreed about STID being most disappointing. As a huge fan of the first film and the reboot idea, I was really looking forward to seeing the followup... but the final product was so generic and derivative that it just killed my interest in the new universe completely.

And I can understand fans being similarly disappointed with MOS, but for me edgier real-world approach was exactly what I had been wanting to see from a Superman movie for years, so I had no problem with it at all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 06:54 PM   #1515
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I was going to wonder if the AV's list really wasn't a list of the Worst Movies of the Year [That Anyone Actually Gave a Sh*t About]... but I've only ever heard of three of the other candidates.

I like the AV Clubs' commenters, though. A rare example of an article like this online where the comments are actually entertaining and not an endless parade of butthurt and counter-butthurt and racist / misogynistic slurs and non-sequiturs complaining about liberals-and-Obama. One guy puts the "disappointment" angle that AvBaur mentions nicely:

TaumpyTearrs wrote:
I knew Terminator Salavation was gonna suck, but my brother wanted to go see it. And then it sucked, no surprise. Whereas I was excited for The Dark Knight Rises based on previous movies, and then I hated it. Felt like I had paid $12 bucks and driven an hour (for IMAX, because Dark Knight in IMAX was amazing) to get bludgeoned by the Nolans' script and the incessant score.

Even with my hate of TDKR I can see that objectively it is a much better movie than Terminator Salvation, but TDKR was a more painful viewing experience for me. If you go to McDonald's and your burger sucks, then hey, its McD's, what do you expect? But if you order a steak at a nice restaurant and somebody brings you a really good McDonalds burger, you're gonna be pissed.
Excellently captures why I'm more troubled by the AbramsTrek films -- though they didn't suck for me as much as TDKR sucked for this guy -- than I would have been if they'd simply (with a few tweaks) been sold as Star Wars or Buck Rogers films. By contrast I liked MOS just fine... but then I had no particular expectations of it beyond that it deliver some good superhero beatdown action.