New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 22 2013, 03:53 PM   #16
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Thinking of a new laptop? -- DON'T BUY HP (see why inside)

I have a rather remarkable update regarding this issue I had with the white list.

I decided to try communicating with HP about this white list issue. First, I had aired my grievances on an HP sponsored forum, where one of the volunteer representatives recommended I send an e-mail to the CEO/Executive-team. They have a channel for such communication. I didn't really think it would amount to much, but I went ahead and did it anyway. The next day I got a reply back (a kind of "form response" from Meg Whitman's office), which was basically a thank-you for my message and that it would be given consideration.

About 5 days later, I got a call from HP. It was some customer service representative who took a little more information from me and then said they would forward my concerns to the Notebook division of HP. I was given a case number for follow-up. Again, I didn't think anything would happen...

But a couple days later I got a call back from the HP Notebook division, a nice and articulate person who wanted to discuss the issue in more detail. She wasn't technical, so I tried to explain the issue in layman's terms as best as I could. Eventually she seemed to get an understanding of what the problem was and assured me she would convey this to their technical team. I was given her direct contact info and a new case number.

Later that day, she called me back with a resolution. It wasn't quite what I'd wanted, which would be a BIOS update to alleviate the white list restriction. Instead, they were going to send me a replacement WiFi card, direct from HP, that should address the original problem (that being the incompatible WiFi card I had purchased). NO CHARGE. They sent it FEDEX overnight, too.

And sure enough, I ended up receiving the WiFi card. I installed it and after a little bit of frustration with finding the right driver (I eventually located a compatible one from HP's website), I got the card working and my WiFi performance improved significantly.

Additionally, the representative I dealt with was so accommodating, she also upgraded my warranty (which had already expired, mind you) for a full year including accidental damage coverage. Of course, this is really "insurance" and won't cost them a thing unless something goes wrong. Nevertheless, it demonstrated an earnest intent to satisfy a customer.

So... HP customer service was exemplary in this case. They really sought to resolve my problem and ultimately they did. I also made sure to raise the point of the white list still being an issue for me when considering my next HP laptop, and that I'd like to see some consideration made to either provide a "back door" on this for advanced users or at least a more frequent BIOS update release that includes new WiFi cards.
Old June 22 2013, 04:09 PM   #17
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

That's pretty damn good customer service, even if you didn't get exactly what you wanted.

This is all interesting to me because our daughter is going off to college in the fall, and one task we have remaining is to buy her a laptop. So I've been doing some window shopping in preparation. There are so many choices and options (and prices)...

We have had HP desktops (Pavilions), and they've always worked fine for us.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 02:44 AM   #18
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I know many have negative feeling about WalMart. However, they have an excellent extended warranty program. Mine even covers normal wear and tear. If one of my keys wears out or the screen cracks, they will repair or replace the laptop... at no charge. I have this warranty on my Acer for 3 additional years beyond the 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

They also sell refurbished computers, although you have to look for them. It is at the bottom of the Electronics>Computers section. You can purchase the same extended warranty on their refurbished laptops and desktops. For a college student, or someone who tends to 'break' computers, it is a good deal.
Old June 24 2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Tralfaz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

We use HP at work and I have had several HP laptops at home. All worked fine and had no problems with them. The only thing I did upgrade was the RAM and that all went just fine. BTW, I usually buy used instead of new. But now, I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with 17" screen and full 1920 x 1080 resolution. I added a second hard drive and upgraded the RAM. I also bought this one used and have had it for about 5 years now. At one point, I sold it because I wanted a smaller lighter laptop. Bought an HP and the lower resolution and smaller screen were just too hard to get used to. So, I called up the person who bought my Dell, and asked if they would sell it back to me. I offered more than I sold it for and thankfully, they did sell it back. So, I guess I am saying I am a real Dell lover now.
Tralfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 02:58 PM   #20
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Dell is a good machine, though they've fallen on some hard times too, recently. With the big push towards tablet computing, desktop machines and even some laptop configurations (that don't have swiveling/detachable screens) are now considered obsolete by many in the industry. I personally don't think I'll ever move to a tablet - I like my quaint old mouse & keyboard. Guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy...
Old June 24 2013, 05:53 PM   #21
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I picked up an ASUS Transformer back in the day, and aside from playing games on it and using it as an eReader for non-conventional books (for paperbacks et al I've got a Nook) it's rather sadly underused.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2013, 06:34 PM   #22
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

^
^^ Place me in the same camp, folks. I use my laptops and desktop because I like a real keyboard and mouse setup. My brother wants an iPad 3. If he makes the jump, I'll get his old iPad 1. Perhaps, I may feel differently using one on a regular basis, but I doubt it.
Old June 24 2013, 09:10 PM   #23
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Tablets are nice on the go when you want something for movies, music, a few games, and web browsing. Word processing isn't recommended, nor business applications. If you want that kind of work, and need to be mobile, a laptop is still the best option, IMO.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 04:49 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

DonIago wrote: View Post
I picked up an ASUS Transformer back in the day
Autobot or Decepticon?
Old June 25 2013, 06:30 PM   #25
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

That depends on whether the keyboard's attached at the time.
Old June 25 2013, 07:46 PM   #26
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

My last two laptops have been toshibas. They've been decent for what I want.
Old June 25 2013, 08:42 PM   #27
DonIago
Rear Admiral

My last laptop was a Toshiba, and I have the feeling I bought it just before USB 3.0 became standard on laptops. It was okay for what it was, but there were definitely times when it seemed, to me, a bit sluggish.
Old June 26 2013, 02:51 AM   #28
Brolan
Commodore

I'm done with HP too. I had a bad experience with a HP laptop and didn't get the support I expected with one of their old high-end PDAs.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2013, 09:05 PM   #29
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I'm quite happy with my HP Envy Macbook-clone.
Old June 27 2013, 12:50 AM   #30
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

It's this what Apple does with their computers? Or at least they used to? Lock out hardware for the best interest of the consumer.