New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 24 2013, 04:10 PM   #61
Statja Q'bel
Ensign

Re: Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
Statja Q'bel wrote: View Post
Denobulans. I enjoy their sense of community and family, their curiosity, and their sense of humor. I love Dr. Phlox's character, and if he were a real person, I imagine I would really enjoy talking with him.
Love the sentiment behind your post, but (in reference to your sig) why mistrust a Vulcan? They are incapable of lying.
Oh no! I haven't been on for awhile due to overload of work, sorry for the late reply. I never really meant anything by Never Trust A Vulcan. I actually have a lot of respect and admiration for Vulcans, their ability to keep emotions in check (I personally wouldn't last a day attempting that). The signature was more of an inside joke between my husband & I after seeing the new ST movie.
Old June 24 2013, 09:17 PM   #62
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Vulcan Logician wrote: View Post
Which alien species from Trek do you most identify with? And why?
Silly question. I had remembered Thelin from "Yesteryear" and then reading Bjo Trimble's description of Andorians in her "Star Trek Concordance". Even the lisp sounded familiar. I hadn't seen any live-action Andorians at that point, except for brief glimpses in ST:TMP. And a few studio stills.

My first Trek costume in early 1980 was a therefore a no-brainer. And a huge challenge. A friend's grandmother donated the white wig, which were impossible to buy in Sydney in 1980. (All I could find were judge's wigs.)

TOS Therin as a redshirt by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
You made a very cute Andorian! I always liked that photo.
Old June 24 2013, 10:05 PM   #63
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Tellarites.

I'm a pig-man who likes to picks fights for no reason.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2013, 12:06 AM   #64
Sran
Fleet Captain

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
Tellarites.

I'm a pig-man who likes to picks fights for no reason.
My former boss looks like a pig.

--Sran
Old June 28 2013, 12:01 AM   #65
Charles Phipps
Commander

The Bajorans.

There's something appealing about them in the fact that I'm a very religious science fiction fan, which puts me somewhat at odds with the secular tone of the series just as they're at odds with the rest of the Trek universe.

I also sometimes identify with Vulcans like Tuvok. The idea that I'm a very logical person who, nevertheless, often struggles with his emotions.
Old June 28 2013, 12:21 AM   #66
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Vulcans are not incapable of lying. No sentient being is. If you can breathe, you can lie.

If a Vulcan says he or she can't lie, that is in itself a lie. And thus, is a logical thing to say, because to say "I am incapable of lying" when you know you can, is just an example of putting a lie into practice.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 12:29 AM   #67
Charles Phipps
Commander

I figured that was just "Vulcans try not to."
Old June 28 2013, 12:43 AM   #68
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Vulcans generally adhere to the principle of not lying, but they will lie if they have a lot to lose by telling the truth. Like, Spock would lie to save Kirk's life, or Vulcan Admiral Lleyton would have lied to wipe out his enemies.

But just because a Vulcan is telling the truth doesn't mean you can trust him. Vulcans believe they know what's in your best interest and will do whatever it takes to stop you from doing something they don't think is beneficial.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 04:22 AM   #69
USS Einstein
Lieutenant Commander

I identify with:

- Humans

- Vulcans

- Romulans

- TOS Era Klingons

I don't identify with species which have become a one track caricature of fanaticism, because nobody is that simplistic.
USS Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 11:53 PM   #70
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I can probably identify with the Cardassians the most. They value order and stability and a sense of duty to the state, and so do I.

Of course I would never support something like the occupation of Bajor - that was a horrible thing. But then again, not all Cardassians were in favor of that, either.
Does that include their judicial system? Aside from their treatment of planets they occupy, they also think the appearance of crime having consequence is more important than punishing the right man.
No, I firmly believe in a properly functioning judicial system. The Cardassian one is in dire need of reform, I would not support the one that we were shown.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote