RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,701
Members: 24,832
Currently online: 470
Newest member: eltonlight

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 13 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Bluray Prices

Any ideas why the complete series on bluray has been consistently under $100 (~$30 per set) for the past several weeks? Are they clearing stock for a particular reason, or have they just realized that their prices were outrageous?
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Bluray Prices

Often sales are tied to film releases. Retailers figure volume sales will compensate for lower profit margins. Same is happening with Superman merchandise.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 02:20 PM   #3
bbailey861
Admiral

That is phenomenal pricing. In Canada, the set is still priced at $300.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 11:10 PM   #4
HarryM
Fleet Captain

I finally took the bait at the $88 price.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Irishman
Fleet Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Any ideas why the complete series on bluray has been consistently under $100 (~$30 per set) for the past several weeks? Are they clearing stock for a particular reason, or have they just realized that their prices were outrageous?
Don't know. Don't care.

Alot of us are just snapping it up and enjoying the deals!
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 03:20 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

HarryM wrote: View Post
I finally took the bait at the $88 price.
That is a good deal! I paid about $65 a season when they first came out because I have no self control where TOS is concerned.
Old June 15 2013, 04:58 PM   #7
HarryM
Fleet Captain

I only had season 1 DVD (pre-remaster) in the hardcase, so am looking forward to all the extra stuff, and HD.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Just a few words of advice
  • Besides TOS-R (and corresponding specials) you'll get the alternate edit of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (last disc of Season 3) where the opening scenes will have the differences you'll probably notice most (see my avatar), Billy Blackburn's private behind-the-scenes films and more.
  • You'll also get old interviews from the previous release (e.g. Bobby Justman and Matt Jefferies)
  • 70-80% of the footage will shine in HD and especially the richness of colors (compared to DVD)
  • But keep in mind that despite selecting "Original Version" you'll often get a few seconds of TOS-R enhanced footage first before it switches to the original VFX footage (and I presume my Oppo BDP-93 doesn't qualify as "crap" ).
Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Just a few words of advice
  • Besides TOS-R (and corresponding specials) you'll get the alternate edit of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (last disc of Season 3) where the opening scenes will have the differences you'll probably notice most (see my avatar), Billy Blackburn's private behind-the-scenes films and more.
  • You'll also get old interviews from the previous release (e.g. Bobby Justman and Matt Jefferies)
  • 70-80% of the footage will shine in HD and especially the richness of colors (compared to DVD)
  • But keep in mind that despite selecting "Original Version" you'll often get a few seconds of TOS-R enhanced footage first before it switches to the original VFX footage (and I presume my Oppo BDP-93 doesn't qualify as "crap" ).
Bob
It's an excellent machine, but the issue you describe is not necessarily related to your machine. Branched files (like those that allow original and new effects depending on your choice) are sometimes authored sloppily, which can create the issue you've noticed.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 03:18 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

But keep in mind that despite selecting "Original Version" you'll often get a few seconds of TOS-R enhanced footage first before it switches to the original VFX footage (and I presume my Oppo BDP-93 doesn't qualify as "crap" ).
Can you point to some episodes where that happens? I've never noticed the issue on my PS3 or my cheap Magnavox player I bought several years ago.
Old June 20 2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I instantly recall "The Ultimate Computer" but the worst offender was "Wink of an Eye" (several seconds).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Harvey
Admiral

I haven't noticed my TOS Blu-Rays doing that on my Sony Blu-Ray player. On an older, I believe LG model they had some issues like that, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:43 PM   #13
BillJ
Admiral

I instantly recall "The Ultimate Computer" but the worst offender was "Wink of an Eye" (several seconds).

Bob
I'll have to check and see if I notice it later today.
Old June 21 2013, 03:39 PM   #14
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

This all depends on the brand and/or model of your player. My Magnavox does that, but my PS3 does not. If it happens, just jump back to the start of the episode again.