RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 680
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 10 2013, 04:19 AM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: If you could add ONE line of dialogue to STID, what would it be..?

UHURA: Did you take the Bechdel test?

CAROL: Yes, I did.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Roald
Commander

the Sisko wrote: View Post
Marcus to Kirk pre-warp:

We at Section 31 aren't done with Khan work and have big plans for the rest of his people, now lower your shields.

That would have changed the direction of the film, showing that Marcus' plan for Khan included the attack and was never to kill him. This would then clarify Khan as having motivation to break the bonds Marcus holds on him through his people without otherwise changing the story.

Spock to Khan post torpedo explosions:

Your ship is dead, but your crew is alive and on Enterprise. Surrender and prepare to be boarded.

This would have stopped Khan from going crazy and crashing a ship into SF HQ, killing thousands of people. Given that Spock Prime told Spock about ST2, he had to have told him the source of Khan's biggest rage is the suffering of his people. It could also have been a continuation of Khans "Let play this out... I will walk over your cold, dead corpses" dialog with a line on how Spock can't break bones, but can break Khan's ship.

McCoy to Spock post Khan capture:

Kirk's frozen and we have Khan's blood... but it will take years of research to discover how to bring him back to life.

THAT would have set up a ST3 scenario where Spock, having outwitted Khan in ship to ship and hand to hand combat, assumes command of the enterprise and makes it a point to one day bring back Kirk when it is possible (like the middle of the next movie). This would show this universe won't just destroy worlds, but will make loss personal.

Tyler Perry at the end of the movie:

The "war" with the Klingons has been quiet with nothing but an occasional border skirmish... Starfleet has a fleet on patrol but we are still going to explore the galaxy.

This would give some color to what really happened. We saw a space battle. But it didn't resolve anything on a intergalactic scale: does S31 have a fleet? Is war coming? Was Marcus a lone wolf? This movie seemed like a sci-fi version of SW: episode 2... but without the color of political intrigue.
I love all these additions! It would have made the film flow just a little bit better I think.

Also, a line from McCoy why he wants Khan's blood and not the blood from another augment, for some reason, would have helped.

And the 'How's our tribble doing?' moment should have perhaps been placed at another point, not in the middle of a dramatic Kirk-Khan dialogue.
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 07:34 AM   #18
AllStarEntprise
Captain

The only words that needed to be added in this movie. At the reactor scene between Kirk and Spock

ROFL i'm not sorry
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:25 AM   #19
Dukhat
Commodore

Probably something to the effect of Khan mentioning Marcus genetically altering him to appear white and sound British to go along with his fake background.
Old June 10 2013, 09:43 AM   #20
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
UHURA: Did you take the Bechdel test?

CAROL: Yes, I did.
YOU WIN

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:50 AM   #21
DarKush
Rear Admiral

After Harrison solemnly reveals he is Khan. He solemnly pauses for a second before adding, "Just joking."
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:43 AM   #22
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: If you could ONE line of dialogue to STID, what would it be..?

Roald wrote: View Post
Really..? I thought that KHAAANNN!!! was great, especially as the scream blended into the weapons fire of the Vengeance... I thought it was pretty eerie actually...
Had Khan not been Khan but JUST John Harrison, how would you feel about Spock yelling "HARRRISSSOOOOOOOON!"?
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:13 AM   #23
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Really..? I thought that KHAAANNN!!! was great, especially as the scream blended into the weapons fire of the Vengeance... I thought it was pretty eerie actually...
Had Khan not been Khan but JUST John Harrison, how would you feel about Spock yelling "HARRRISSSOOOOOOOON!"?
I would feel like it's a silly question because then they probably wouldn't have done an homage to the scream in TWoK since it wouldn't have been Khan.

But, as a staple of film, TV, comics, and so forth, it's hardly anything new or unusual:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SayMyName
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheScream
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../SkywardScream
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:17 AM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I would feel like it's a silly question because then they probably wouldn't have done an homage to the scream in TWoK since it wouldn't have been Khan.

But, as a staple of film, TV, comics, and so forth, it's hardly anything new or unusual:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SayMyName
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheScream
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../SkywardScream
When Nero screamed SPOOOCK in anger it was already a fine homage to it. The point is that the STiD KHAAAAAN is pretty cringeworthy and out of place, no matter what name you put there, but that a lot of people somehow accept it just because it's "KHHAAAAAAN"!
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:29 AM   #25
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Not to mention it's turned Spock-flipping-out into a thing now that we're to expect from every new movie. Yes, he had moments in TOS where he flipped out but it was not every episode.

Spock's "because I'm your friend" or whatever the line was before Kirk died was infinitely more powerful than screaming in anguish.

They should have left it that;, have Spock compose himself and then cooly and purposely go after Khan.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 11:36 AM   #26
marksound
Fleet Captain

More like "JHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:29 PM   #27
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander

Spock (to Khan): "You have betrayed us."
Khan: "Yes, Mr. Spock - I suppose you could say, I 'conned' you.". (Then, the sound of crickets...)
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 12:37 PM   #28
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

The Khan line never really bothered me (then again, the moment Harrison revealed his identity in the movie, my son yelled out "KHAAAAANNNN!", to a quick shush from us, and a few giggles from others in the audience).

I would have definitely changed Scotty's "One-day" line though.
Old June 10 2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Moriarty
Ensign

I thought it was never really explained that Khan was previously a tyrannical dictator from Earth's past. Maybe I missed it, I've only seen it once, but I got the impression that one would only know that if they remembered it from the show.

Also, he says that he never wanted to be woken or something like that and I think in the show they had originally set out to find a new planet to settle on. So something like that would have been good.

And not really dialogue, but I would have loved it if Spock's neck grab had instantly sent Khan to the ground. Not too exciting I know, but it would have been better for the character and the good kind of anti-climax.
Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 02:38 PM   #30
Belz...
Fleet Captain

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
The only words that needed to be added in this movie. At the reactor scene between Kirk and Spock
I actually expected that to happen.

When Nero screamed SPOOOCK in anger it was already a fine homage to it. The point is that the STiD KHAAAAAN is pretty cringeworthy and out of place, no matter what name you put there, but that a lot of people somehow accept it just because it's "KHHAAAAAAN"!
First off, I don't think Nero's yell was a homage. Second, some people don't mind Spock's yell. I don't think it's "just because" it's Khan.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote