RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,624
Posts: 5,426,692
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 540
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 9 2013, 01:33 AM   #1
cosmicvoyager
Cadet
 
Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Greetings,

I think this is either Dr Arik Soong or an Augment ancestor of all the Soongs.



1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII

If the Soongs are descended from one of Khan's crew, it would explain Arik Soong's interest in the Augments and the Soong's genius.
cosmicvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

What is Data's head doing there when it's supposed to be under San Francisco?

CANON VIOLATION
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:00 AM   #3
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:43 AM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
Greetings,

1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII
1) By the end of that arc, Arik Soong's opinion of genetic engineering had been soured and he began thinking about artificial intelligence.

2) First I'm hearing about this. Source, please?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:47 AM   #5
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
I think we can all agree that RUSH must be preserved, for the sake of civilization.
__________________
I tried to make a deal with the Devil, once. Turns out I didn't have anything he wanted.
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
You will never find a more welcome hive of love and humility.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:58 AM   #6
cosmicvoyager
Cadet
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
Greetings,

1 - Arik Soong was a brilliant doctor of genetics in the 22nd century. He believed that Humanity's abandonment of genetic engineering after the Eugenics Wars was a mistake, and hoped to show that genetically engineered Humans would not necessarily become tyrants like Khan Noonien Singh. He argued that the source of the problem wasn't, in fact, the technology, but Humanity's own inability to use it wisely.

2 - Brent Spiner desperately wanted to be in Star Trek XII
1) By the end of that arc, Arik Soong's opinion of genetic engineering had been soured and he began thinking about artificial intelligence.

2) First I'm hearing about this. Source, please?

1 - Okay, so I think that the person in the cryotube is Arik Soong's ancestor.

2 - "I am thinking more about the next Star Trek movie and more about who can I be in it. I did this character Arik Soong [on Star Trek Enterprise], not to be confused with Dr. Soong on the [TNG], this was his predecessor. And I would like to start a campaign, maybe right here tonight, its called BBS – Bring Back Soong. And I want you to flood JJ Abrams offices with that: BBS, Bring Back Soong."
http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/29/bren...r-trek-sequel/
cosmicvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:10 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

I noted the resemblance the first time I saw the movie.

The interesting question is whether it was intentional.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:15 AM   #8
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: At the After Party Still...
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

teacake wrote: View Post
I noted the resemblance the first time I saw the movie.
Same here

Although someone else said it looked like Picard.

I definitely thought it looked like Data/Lore/Dr Soong
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:18 AM   #9
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Too much hair for Picard!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 04:31 AM   #10
dub
Fleet Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

It's Data! Oh, just think of how much dialogue they could lift from TNG in the next movie...maybe they can have nuData say "The line must be drawn here!" Get it -- it's Data saying it this time instead of Picard! Wow, what a twist! Throw in some head crushing and mass destruction! Yeah, that's the ticket!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 06:15 AM   #11
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I think it looks like Geddy Lee.
I think we can all agree that RUSH must be preserved, for the sake of civilization.
Duh.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 01:52 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

cosmicvoyager wrote: View Post
2 - "I am thinking more about the next Star Trek movie and more about who can I be in it. I did this character Arik Soong [on Star Trek Enterprise], not to be confused with Dr. Soong on the [TNG], this was his predecessor. And I would like to start a campaign, maybe right here tonight, its called BBS – Bring Back Soong. And I want you to flood JJ Abrams offices with that: BBS, Bring Back Soong."
http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/29/bren...r-trek-sequel/
Honestly, it's difficult to tell if he's being serious there. It definitely doesn't come of as Spiner "desperately wanting" to be in the movie.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

They'll bring back Soong, but cast an Asian guy who looks nothing like Spiner in the part.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: Does this look like Data to anyone else in Star Trek XII cryotube?

Ooh... maybe Noonian Soong is Arik Soong is the REAL Khan Noonien Singh !

Data is the brainchild of KHAAAAANNN !!!
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.