RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 753
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 27 2013, 10:30 PM   #91
TenLubak
Commander

Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

I liked Far Beyond the Stars but, was some confused by some of the story. but i really would have to rewatch it to comment further because its been so long. I also didn't understand how certain things happened and how Benny Russel realted to Sisko, but hey it makes you think about reality and what is real. And that is cool for me.
TenLubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 01:32 AM   #92
I am not Spock
Commodore

FBTS is a magnificent episode, not just of DS9, but Trek in general. It is the closest thing to DS9's 'City on the Edge of Forever'. I think the OP is in the minority
Old June 30 2013, 01:35 AM   #93
I am not Spock
Commodore

cannicks wrote: View Post
TrekAlliance92 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't care for it either. Like other episodes such as "Family" from TNG, I just don't care for the "down-to-earth" drama episodes. I like sci-fi in my Trek. But, that's just my preference--if it's an episode many love and respect--great!
so you can't see different perspectives, and presume all see/perceive things as you do? you must be autistic/Asperger's or something.
That wasn't called for. I have Aspergers, and I love Far Beyond the Stars.

Some of my favourite Trek episodes are The Offspring, Measure of a Man, Darmok, The Inner Light, the Visitor, and FBTS.
Old June 30 2013, 02:27 AM   #94
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't like Far Beyond the Stars when it first aired, however I was almost 12 when it first aired. It was just something that didn't quite fit in the ordering of the season. The episode kind of came out of nowhere. However, after re-watching the episode several years ago, I found that it was much better than I had initially thought it was. In fact, I'm comfortable to say that it's one of the best episodes in season 6. The story has a lot of subtle notes and nods, and I appreciated the acting much more each subsequent time I watch the episode. Plus, it was a fun episode for us and the cast.

In the whole scheme of things, I think Shadows and Symbols changed the context of the vision from open-ended vision from the Prophets, to Pah-wraith interference.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2013, 03:18 AM   #95
I am not Spock
Commodore

Man, season 6 was a quality season! So many classic episodes. I'd say it would be tied with season 4 as my favourite of DS9
Old June 30 2013, 04:32 PM   #96
eskyliz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Definitely in my top two favorite episodes of all of Star Trek.

It has so much to say and to me it pretty much defines what Star Trek is. I mean think about it. If you take out all the characters and weapons and fancy gadgets and only leave behind the basic idea, what would you get? You'd get a morality and a philosophy that you could base your whole life on to be a better person.

To me (and many other people) Star Trek isn't just about being a great sci-fi show. It's got so many hidden meanings that deal with our problems today. And right now I'm not just talking DS9. One of the main reasons to create TOS in the first place was to address issues that were causing problems back in the sixties. Giving it a futuristic setting helped hide the real meaning and without that setting, Star Trek probably wouldn't have been aired.

Star Trek isn't famous for being just another sci-fi show. I mean think about how many sci-fi shows are out there and how many of them aren't famous. It's episodes like "Far Beyond the Stars" that make Star Trek different.

Star Trek has so much to say and if all you want to look at is the sci-fi aspect of it then fine. But maybe try looking at it from a different angle. It isn't just cool technology set in the future. It's so much more.
"That may be the most important thing to understand about humans. It is the unknown that defines our existence. We are constantly searching, not just for answers to our questions, but for new questions. We are explorers." - Captain Sisko
eskyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:38 PM   #97
Crazyewok
Commander

Wow this thread is still going on?

Didnt think it will elicit such a strong response from both sides.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 05:41 PM   #98
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Wow this thread is still going on?

Didnt think it will elicit such a strong response from both sides.
Pft. This is nothing. Check out the latest Tuvix thread on the VOY forum. 60 pages and still going.
Old July 2 2013, 06:44 PM   #99
Crazyewok
Commander

Another thing I didn't like and Im sure some would disagree and that's fair enough but its the overt racism theme.

Thing I like Sisko, he was my favourite captain. I never thought of him as the black captain, I don't think I really even noticed or cared he was black. Well I noticed but it didn't really stand out as anything special if you know what I mean.

But this episode seemed to use his colour and pin the whole racial issue on him. It effectively made him the "black captain". It called attention to his colour which I think is a bad thing.
Old July 2 2013, 11:39 PM   #100
Mirror Kira
Cadet

I thought "Far Beyond the Stars" was mildly entertaining. I can't seem to muster much enthusiasm for period episodes. However, I enjoyed seeing the actors sans fards...though probably not half as much as they appreciated the respite from the makeup chair.
Mirror Kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2013, 11:44 PM   #101
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Another thing I didn't like and Im sure some would disagree and that's fair enough but its the overt racism theme.

Thing I like Sisko, he was my favourite captain. I never thought of him as the black captain, I don't think I really even noticed or cared he was black. Well I noticed but it didn't really stand out as anything special if you know what I mean.

But this episode seemed to use his colour and pin the whole racial issue on him. It effectively made him the "black captain". It called attention to his colour which I think is a bad thing.
Well of course the ep's going to call attention to color, it's set in the 1950's.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 01:30 AM   #102
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Well of course the ep's going to call attention to color, it's set in the 1950's.
I'd really say a better example of that is Sisko going out of his way to not like Vic's because it's set in the 50's even though the bad stuff has been programed out.
Old July 3 2013, 07:22 PM   #103
Crazyewok
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I just dont think something that overt was needed.

But then Im a child of the 80's so the problem with racism at least in my area is not really a big deal compared to early generations.
Old July 4 2013, 02:14 AM   #104
Shatna
Grand Lord Admiral

I think something that gets lost in retrospect about this episode is that Marc Scott Zicree meant for the story to not only address racism in the 50s, but also to pay loving homage to the generation of science fiction writers of that era that influenced (and in some cases, wrote episodes for) STAR TREK. There was also an overt nod to TWILIGHT ZONE, for which Zicree wrote the seminal reference book.

Also: hi, everybody!
Old July 6 2013, 03:49 AM   #105
Data girl
Ensign

I wished they would have ended the series as sisko being a writer and everything being inside his head. The series finale was bad.
Data girl is offline   Reply With Quote