RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,817
Posts: 5,472,656
Members: 25,037
Currently online: 564
Newest member: Sebastian380

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite episode from Season 1 of Deep Space Nine?
Emissary 4 12.50%
Past Prologue 0 0%
A Man Alone 0 0%
Babel 0 0%
Captive Pursuit 0 0%
Q-Less 0 0%
Dax 0 0%
The Passenger 0 0%
Move Along Home 2 6.25%
The Nagus 1 3.13%
Vortex 0 0%
Battle Lines 0 0%
The Storyteller 0 0%
Progress 0 0%
If Wishes Were Horses 0 0%
The Forsaken 1 3.13%
Dramatis Personae 3 9.38%
Duet 17 53.13%
In the Hands of the Prophets 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 19 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
dub
Fleet Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

We've had the process of elimination as a group with the "least disliked" episode threads, which was interesting (and sometimes painful) to watch. So here's a positive twist on that experiment. Let's have a good old fashioned vote on your favorite episode from each season. After we're done with each season, we'll vote for the favorite overall.

The poll will be open for a week to give as many people a chance to vote as possible. Comment on your favorite, but don't forget to vote!

---------------

For season 1, I was torn between "Emissary," an incredible pilot episode and just fantastic way to introduce the characters and the premise of the show (this episode was even better for me after I had watched the entire series), and "Duet," a well-written episode with some of the best acting and best scenes of the series. I'm going with "Duet."
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

Dramatis Personnae


I doubt anybody else will agree with this as their favorite, but if tell me I can watch one and only one episode from the first season that would be it.

I love the weirdness of it, how it addresses so many things in the characters that have been bubbling beneath the surface. As crazy as it sounds there is a lot of character development. We see how easily Sisko can be driven to obsession, something that would be a factor several times throughout the series; O'Brien as the ever-loyal soldier; Kira's past as a dangerous hothead, how big a part of life memory is to Dax, etc. It's all exaggerated and over the top because of the outside influences, but it also gives you a lot of insight into who these people are at a time when everything wasn't so clear.
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 07:51 PM   #3
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

There are many awesome episodes, but I think my favorite is the finale, In the Hands of the Prophets. The Bajoran situation from Emissary was finally getting realized and it made for modern day allegory about what is acceptable to teach in schools. It also set up the Circle Trilogy (Some of my favorite episodes of the entire series) really well. Heck, this 4 episode arc (ITHOTP and the Circle Trilogy) might have been as close to the series ever got in terms of realizing the promise of the Bajorans and all the politics that went into it.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

The first was the best.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
There are many awesome episodes, but I think my favorite is the finale, In the Hands of the Prophets. The Bajoran situation from Emissary was finally getting realized and it made for modern day allegory about what is acceptable to teach in schools. It also set up the Circle Trilogy (Some of my favorite episodes of the entire series) really well. Heck, this 4 episode arc (ITHOTP and the Circle Trilogy) might have been as close to the series ever got in terms of realizing the promise of the Bajorans and all the politics that went into it.
I don't think it's the tightest story of season 1, but In the Hands of the Prophets stands out as something different for Star Trek.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 10:33 PM   #6
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
There are many awesome episodes, but I think my favorite is the finale, In the Hands of the Prophets. The Bajoran situation from Emissary was finally getting realized and it made for modern day allegory about what is acceptable to teach in schools. It also set up the Circle Trilogy (Some of my favorite episodes of the entire series) really well. Heck, this 4 episode arc (ITHOTP and the Circle Trilogy) might have been as close to the series ever got in terms of realizing the promise of the Bajorans and all the politics that went into it.
I don't think it's the tightest story of season 1, but In the Hands of the Prophets stands out as something different for Star Trek.
At the time, something different for Star Trek is a very good thing, and this is a very good episode. Duet was great from a two actors just chewing up the scenery point of view, but for a first season finale, ITHOTP took DS9 in an entirely different direction and told everyone we're not going to be TNG.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 10:50 PM   #7
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander
 
jazzstick's Avatar
 
Location: The Darkside of The Moon
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

Roboturner913 wrote: View Post
Dramatis Personnae


I doubt anybody else will agree with this as their favorite, but if tell me I can watch one and only one episode from the first season that would be it.

I love the weirdness of it, how it addresses so many things in the characters that have been bubbling beneath the surface. As crazy as it sounds there is a lot of character development. We see how easily Sisko can be driven to obsession, something that would be a factor several times throughout the series; O'Brien as the ever-loyal soldier; Kira's past as a dangerous hothead, how big a part of life memory is to Dax, etc. It's all exaggerated and over the top because of the outside influences, but it also gives you a lot of insight into who these people are at a time when everything wasn't so clear.
VICTORY!!!!
__________________
Sokath - his eyes uncovered.
jazzstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

I hate these kind of things, simply because DS9 had too many great episodes its hard to just pick one!

Granted there were one or two lemons in among it, but their ration of good-to-bad episodes weighs heavily towards the former--if only VOY had taken notice.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 12:03 AM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

Duet. Who cares if it was a bottle episode. This one shows you can have a powerful and emotionally captivating episode without any flashy effects. To say nothing of a message that should resonate in our own times about hatred.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Between the candle and the star
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

In the Hands of the Prophets is my favourite.
__________________
"I hate purity, I hate goodness! I don't want any virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone to be corrupt to the bones." - Winston Smith
Pemmer Harge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 02:06 AM   #11
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

Duet. One of DS9's finest hours.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 03:30 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

Emissary followed by Captive Pursuit.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 06:54 PM   #13
Lucky
Commander
 
Lucky's Avatar
 
Location: Mississippi
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

I voted for Duet. I also really liked Battle Lines.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2013, 10:01 PM   #14
BruntFCA
Commander
 
BruntFCA's Avatar
 
Location: A Mile High
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

Has to be Duet, I know season one gets a bad rap but personally I loved it.
__________________
"Well, I come from a long, long line of smartasses. Smartass is allergic to dumbass. It’s actually a physical allergy, as in you’re repulsed by dumbasses."
Josh Homme
BruntFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 12:21 AM   #15
Othello
Commodore
 
Re: The most liked episode of DS9: Season 1

As it should be Duet leading by a WIDE margin.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.