Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 8 2013, 09:02 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: SF Debris quick STID review [spoilers]

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert was wonderful. Even when I didn't agree I liked his reviews. I know he didn't like the ST09 movie,

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote:
He didn't hate it, but he didn't love it.
Way to back-peddle!
Old June 8 2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert was wonderful. Even when I didn't agree I liked his reviews. I know he didn't like the ST09 movie,

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote:
Way to back-peddle!
That's not back-peddling. It's acknowledging that even though he wasn't in love with the film, as a reviewer, he was able to appreciate it for what it was. I don't think it makes the cut for any of his "best of" lists, that's for sure. When I was over at Trekmovie, it seemed like the producer/writer wasn't happy with him because he didn't throw full support behind it, but that's neither here not there for this thread.

I didn't like STID, but I still came away from it saying that there were some good things in it, and I give it a pass purely as an action film. I think it fails as anything else. That's another thing I agree with that the reviewer in the OP said. Frankly, that's what a lot of reviewers have said.

I don't know how long his full-length reviews are, but I think he summed things up nicely in 13 minutes and some change. I didn't agree with everything he had to say though, like I didn't think the "homage" scene at the end worked at all. It's the only part of the film where I was like "Are you kidding me?" I had to stop myself from saying it out loud because I started to.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:26 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote:
Way to back-peddle!
That's not back-peddling.
You went from "he didn't like ST09" to "He didn't hate it, but he didn't love it". That is back-peddling because the evidence didn't support your first statement.

Last edited by BillJ; June 8 2013 at 09:38 PM.
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

The evidence supports the fact that he was kind enough. I wouldn't say that it supports him liking it. 2.5 out of 5 stars doesn't seem like "like," to me. Call it what you will, though.

Edit: Actually, from his website it's a 4 star rating. Still, it's not really "like" to me. He basically rated it as "average" for what it was.

--------

Getting back to the OP. I agree that Khan didn't make a whole lot of sense here, at least in my view. The way that whole thing played out was interesting. I think if they wanted the reveal of "Khan" to have more of an impact, or an impact at all really, with general audiences, then I think they should have built up the "idea" of Khan in this film and for this film. That way, when Cumberbatch says he's Khan it has more of a punch. The info we get later on about him from Spock Prime doesn't really do much other than make Spock Prime look like someone who can't keep a oath.

Still, I'd prefer that he had just been Harrison the whole way through.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Avon
Fleet Captain

2.5 out of 4 is above average.

also the evidence supports he thought it was an ok, fun action film, because that's what he wrote.

She canna take no more backpeddling, captain!

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 10:03 PM   #21
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Ebert's movie review was considered "rotten" on Rotten Tomatoes, but he mostly didn't like it for what it didn't do. As far as what he wished to see goes, he ends the review with,

Perhaps the next one will engage these characters in a more challenging and devious story, one more about testing their personalities than re-establishing them. In the meantime, you want space opera, you got it.
He said the movie dealt with "narrative housekeeping." There were good character moments, but all the action was mostly just confronting a larger and better armed Romulan ship.

If you think STID tested personalities and involved deviousness, then you may want to guess the late Mr. Ebert would've liked STID more than ST. Who knows?

Full review here:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-trek-2009
Old June 9 2013, 01:31 AM   #22
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Getting back to the topic, I think he brought up an interesting way the film could have ended. I also didn't see how Kirk really grew that much in this film, even though I know I was supposed to. I mean, it did seem like not doing the right thing paid off. I think the best example was how he lost command of his ship, gets busted down to cadet for it to learn something, and then almost immediately he's first officer and then captain again. That wasn't very much time to learn a lesson.
When Kirk was told by Marcus just to kill Khan, would the right thing to have done be to kill him? I mean Kirk was in trouble for not obeying orders - to learn anything he would have done as Marcus said and toed the line.

When he goes after Khan he tells Spock that Spock is the right person to be captain at that juncture that he is the one who needs to deal with Khan. Has he learnt anything there? Maybe

Really had Kirk done anything wrong except file incorrect reports? Maybe thats what he's learnt. Get your reports in synch. He certainly would save Spock and the pre-Warp planet again in the same circumstances but lie about it better
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2013, 03:58 AM   #23
MrPointy
Commander

Re: SF Debris quick STID review

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I merged the two threads, just in case anyone's confused.
Funny thing is that my thread and free's thread were posted at the exact same minute.
Old June 9 2013, 08:37 PM   #24
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Roger Ebert wrote:
The logic is also a little puzzling when Scotty can beam people into another ship in outer space, but they have to physically parachute to land on a platform in the air from which the Romulans are drilling a hole to the Earth’s core.
Explained in the film, Roger. ( Oh, and at the time of the Vulcan incident they didn't have the transwarp beaming formula yet. )
Old June 10 2013, 12:15 AM   #25
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: SF Debris quick STID review

MrPointy wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
I merged the two threads, just in case anyone's confused.
Funny thing is that my thread and free's thread were posted at the exact same minute.
Clearly, they were meant to be together.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:43 AM   #26
newtontomato539
Commander

Roger Ebert:

"I hate Star Wars."

"I know I said I hate Star Wars Episode IV. But since Star Wars is now popular, I look like a schmuck. I love Star Wars Episode IV."

"I love Star Trek 2009. But it's not the Prime timeline. I hate it. It must be the Prime timeline. Why? Because I said so. But its good space opera. I love it. But I hate space opera. But I love Star Wars Episode IV. I'm not a schmuck."

I have never taken whatever he said seriously.
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 03:01 AM   #27
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote