Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 8 2013, 05:24 PM   #1
free2131
Ensign

SF Debris quick STID review [spoilers]

http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/intodarkness.asp

Of course, there are spoilers, so be prepared.

Gotta say he nailed it perfectly. When he gave his opinion on what the ending should have been, I agreed wholeheartedly. What does everyone else think?
free2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 05:24 PM   #2
MrPointy
Commander

SFDebris does STID - mini-review [SPOILERS]

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated...review-6600041

Basically, an impression of the movie on first viewing and not so much a proper review. That will come later.

Spoilers out the butt.
Old June 8 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: SF Debris quick STID review

I merged the two threads, just in case anyone's confused.
Old June 8 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Re: SF Debris quick STID review [spoilers]

I was a moment behind you trying to merge the threads, and funnily enough the board gives you a sardonic response when that happens:

"Trying to merge the same thread would not accomplish much."

I got the distinct feeling that there's an implied "dumbass" at the end of that sentence.
Old June 8 2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I've seen the movie a number of times now, so reading reviews of it serves no healthy purpose.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Can't wait for the full review.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 06:55 PM   #7
beamMe
Fleet Captain

To sum this one up: "They could've... They should've... I'd rather they... I wished..."
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 06:58 PM   #8
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

So, this thirteen minute review of the film is an incomplete mini-review? Some people really do love the sound of their own voice, I guess. I listened to it, and he seemed to touch on his major issues with the film well enough (even though I don't agree with his POV about many of them). More than that and it would just start getting tedious.

Roger Ebert was about as knowledgeable on the subject of films and filmmaking as any person can be, and yet he didn't feel the need to pontificate for an hour about a two hour film in every review, even though he easily could have. And yet, he still managed to make his feelings about the film known and give some great insights at the same time.

I really think some of these reviewers would benefit from some brevity, especially the ones who aren't even being funny or putting on an act while doing the review.
Old June 8 2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Some people like the sound of their own typing when criticizing reviews they don't like. I thought it was interesting, and I could agree on a number of points, this being number one for me.

There's a lot of activity in this film, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of movement, if you follow me...
Oh, I do. He's coming to the same conclusion many reviewers have come to, while all giving it a pass as an "action film." Roger Ebert was wonderful. Even when I didn't agree I liked his reviews. I know he didn't like the ST09 movie, and from what he had to say about that one, I think he really wouldn't have anything kind to say about STID. It's too bad he's gone.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 08:11 PM   #10
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Some people like the sound of their own typing when criticizing reviews they don't like.
That doesn't even make sense, but it's cute that you felt the need to turn a commentary on excessively long internet movie reviews in general (which has nothing to do with whether I like a specific review or not) into a personal comment about me.
Old June 8 2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Yeah, like the "pontificate" comment wasn't a "personal comment" referencing the reviewer in the OP. And what I said makes sense, even if you don't get it. You showed up to put your keystrokes in as soon as you saw something that didn't praise STID. Good going on that one!

And now, I'll let you have the last word I know you'll need to have (yes, and feel free to tell me that I don't know ). I don't want this thread derailed by people who don't like the subject matter, so I won't participate in that. Have fun.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old June 8 2013, 08:31 PM   #12
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Yeah, like the "pontificate" comment wasn't a "personal comment" referencing the reviewer the OP. And what I said makes sense, even if you don't get it. You showed up to put your keystrokes in as soon as you saw something that didn't praise STID. Good going on that one!

And now, I'll let you have the last word I know you'll need to have. I don't want this thread derailed by people who don't like the subject matter, so I won't participate in that. Have fun.
Yep, I do get to say another word, despite your silly attempt at preventing it by casting it as petty and thread derailing.

First off, the pontificate comment was directed at long reviews in general, so it's hardly a personal comment. And even if it was, it would have been a personal comment directed at someone who's not --as far as anyone knows-- a member of this board, which is different from making a personal comment directed at a member of the board. Understand?

I believe we already had a conversation about how you don't get to determine the flow or content of conversation in this forum, did we not? Which is most likely the reason for the passive-aggressive dig at me in the first place.

But since you didn't get it the first time, I'll reiterate. You don't get to decide whether or not someone can praise or criticize the film, a review, the format of a review, etc. You don't get to tell them they're thread derailing by posting something you don't like. You're free to comment on all of those aspects of the film or reviews yourself, but the mini-modding and attempts at discouraging discussion are going to stop.

And since you already have an open PM to me, I would suggest you take any further commentary on this matter up there instead of doing it in the thread.
Old June 8 2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Getting back to the topic, I think he brought up an interesting way the film could have ended. I also didn't see how Kirk really grew that much in this film, even though I know I was supposed to. I mean, it did seem like not doing the right thing paid off. I think the best example was how he lost command of his ship, gets busted down to cadet for it to learn something, and then almost immediately he's first officer and then captain again. That wasn't very much time to learn a lesson.

Old June 8 2013, 08:45 PM   #14
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Roger Ebert was wonderful. Even when I didn't agree I liked his reviews. I know he didn't like the ST09 movie,
He had his misgivings with the last film, but didn't like it?

Roger Ebert wrote:
Don’t get me wrong. This is fun.
Roger Ebert wrote:
In the meantime, you want space opera, you got it.
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-trek-2009
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

beamMe wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert was wonderful. Even when I didn't agree I liked his reviews. I know he didn't like the ST09 movie,
He had his misgivings with the last film, but didn't like it?

Roger Ebert wrote:
Don’t get me wrong. This is fun.
Roger Ebert wrote:
In the meantime, you want space opera, you got it.
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-trek-2009
He didn't hate it, but he didn't love it.

But the franchise has become much of a muchness. The new movie essentially intends to reboot the franchise with younger characters and carry on as before. The movie deals with narrative housekeeping. Perhaps the next one will engage these characters in a more challenging and devious story...
I don't know that STID was challenging or devious story-wise.